Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2017, 11:40 PM   #1

Question Anyone own a Chinese Tractor? NorTrac?

Hey Guys,
The Wife and I are in the market for a Compact tractor. We are most likely going to buy a big name brand. But in my research I couldn't help but notice NorTrac Tractors sold by Northern Tool. The price sure is attractive I haven't found anything bad on them. But the reviews are few. Some owners say that everything on the tractor is stamped FOTON? Anyone know about or own one of these tractors. On another note, it seems most of our old name brand U.S. tractors are now made in South Korea and India. And I would think Chinese folk are no strangers to farm equipment.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:30 AM   #2

Check Mahindra from India too.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:31 AM   #3

I was almost on the hook for an LS tractor. (Korean) Looks just like a new Holland, but it was pending on a house sale that was delayed. Currently using a 1949 Ford 8N until other obligations are taken care of. Give the LS tractors a look if there is a dealer near you.

I have seen good about the Nortrac tractors, but with anything Chinese you need to be prepared to work on it. If it was an older machine that I got cheap I would be ready to try one.

Foton is a Chinese manufacturer who likely builds some of the Nortrac machines. Try searching them also.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jct842 View Post
Check Mahindra from India too.
Yep. Great tractors. India has been building tractors longer than anyone on Earth. I have a neighbor down the road a piece who has had one for years and swears by it.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger View Post
I was almost on the hook for an LS tractor. (Korean) Looks just like a new Holland, but it was pending on a house sale that was delayed. Currently using a 1949 Ford 8N until other obligations are taken care of. Give the LS tractors a look if there is a dealer near you.

I have seen good about the Nortrac tractors, but with anything Chinese you need to be prepared to work on it. If it was an older machine that I got cheap I would be ready to try one.

Foton is a Chinese manufacturer who likely builds some of the Nortrac machines. Try searching them also.
Hey Kato, The 8N is an AWESOME MACHINE!! I had its bigger brother. A 1964 641 Workmaster. I kick myself daily for selling that tractor. If I didn't need a Bucket I would buy another classic Ford no sweat.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Yep. Great tractors. India has been building tractors longer than anyone on Earth. I have a neighbor down the road a piece who has had one for years and swears by it.
I just got back from two local dealers. One sells Mahindra and LS, the other ole Green and yellow. ALL of them are priced about the same. A 25Hp Compact tractor with Hydrostatic drive and a Loader is 15K give or take a few hundred between the three. WELL THAT DIDN"T HELP HUH? And the dealers are a mile from each other Heck the NorTrac 25XT is 12,999 on Northern Tools website. So um, YEAH I think I'll go with one of the other three. Now if the Chinese tractor was say 2 thirds or so the price of the other ones then maybe I would try one out. But not for only 2k less.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:54 PM   #7

I have a friend with a new holland he claims was thousands less than the other comparable tractors .He bought his with a lot of attachments though which might be where he saved the cash .

Old 02-28-2017, 02:06 PM   #8

A friend has one and he uses it for all.sorts of heavy farm work. Only things that have happened are normal wear and tear.
2002 Yamaha R6 *sold*
Vader 125cc *sold after owning for many years*
1997 Jeep Wrangler *sold due to frame rot*

Old 02-28-2017, 05:08 PM   #9

Good info on these forums. I'm a member of both. I'm hoping to buy an SCUT next year. Probably Kubota BX series.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/index.php

http://www.mytractorforum.com/

Old 02-28-2017, 07:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Good info on these forums. I'm a member of both. I'm hoping to buy an SCUT next year. Probably Kubota BX series.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/index.php

http://www.mytractorforum.com/
Those are great sites

Letsride, aside from the cost (which is important), I'm concerned about you being disappointed about that size tractor. I believe the 45 hp tractor is the optimal size which can handle just about anything you throw at it. What are the price points of this size tractor?

I believe you can't go wrong with the manhindra , Rush Limbaugh says so too
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 02-28-2017, 09:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Those are great sites

Letsride, aside from the cost (which is important), I'm concerned about you being disappointed about that size tractor. I believe the 45 hp tractor is the optimal size which can handle just about anything you throw at it. What are the price points of this size tractor?

I believe you can't go wrong with the manhindra , Rush Limbaugh says so too
I'm not sure what the 40 and up h.p. tractors are. But when you get to this size its a whole new ball of wax. Well for one its BIG. I would have to have a bigger trailer at least. And not so sure my half ton pick ups would like the idea of pulling all that tractor, bucket, implement and heavy trailer. I only have 6 acres of property to worry about, and possibly my Dads property as well. I can haul a compact tractor anywhere with the trucks and trailer I have. And lastly, I'm paying cash ( as I do with alot of stuff) Its taken this ole boy a good LOOOOOOOONG while to get the tractor fund up here. I'm almost there. I think a stack of Franklins will get me a discount on whichever I choose me thinks.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride View Post
I'm not sure what the 40 and up h.p. tractors are. But when you get to this size its a whole new ball of wax. Well for one its BIG. I would have to have a bigger trailer at least. And not so sure my half ton pick ups would like the idea of pulling all that tractor, bucket, implement and heavy trailer. I only have 6 acres of property to worry about, and possibly my Dads property as well. I can haul a compact tractor anywhere with the trucks and trailer I have. And lastly, I'm paying cash ( as I do with alot of stuff) Its taken this ole boy a good LOOOOOOOONG while to get the tractor fund up here. I'm almost there. I think a stack of Franklins will get me a discount on whichever I choose me thinks.
I guess specifically, I'm talking about something large enough to handle round bails. Of course I don't know your situation or needs, just something to think about . Smart with the cash!

Party on Garth
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 03-01-2017, 11:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
I guess specifically, I'm talking about something large enough to handle round bails. Of course I don't know your situation or needs, just something to think about . Smart with the cash!

Party on Garth
Good Point. We are clearing the back 4 acres of our property and fencing it all in. SWMBO has decided she wants some BOER goats. So I guess you are right, I may have to lift a bail or two of hay. How much does a round bail weigh anyhow. Ain't they like 500lbs. The lift capacity of a JD2025R and 2032R is 1020lbs. But I guess that is alot of weight on the front of a tractor that only weighs 1660lbs. Hmm I'll have to look into the 40hp model and see what its all about. This tractor buying stuff is new to me. I mean I've driven a bunch of em, but they always belonged to someone else, and they decided that the equipment was big enough for what I was doing with it. The only other tractor I've owned was the old workmaster.
Party on Wayne

Old 03-01-2017, 06:44 PM   #14

Depends on the size of round bale. 500-1200 lbs. You can always stick to small squares. I bought a round bale and just had the guy put it on my trailer so that I could roll it off.

Look at a 30hp tractor. 45 will likely be overkill for a 6 acre farm.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:08 PM   #15

500lbs is a very small round bale, 1000lbs is gonna be more realistic. I just sold my 1959 Ford 841 PowerMaster. It was a 48 hp tractor and just a great all around machine for my 80 acres. In 2007 I bought a brand new New Holland TT50A 50 hp tractor. I love it and plan on keeping it for the rest of my days. It does everything I want it to. But if I was hauling it behind my truck very often or had a smaller property I would probably opt for a smaller tractor. It's remarkable how much work you can do with a 25-30hp 4wd tractor. Whatever you get... don't forget to post pics. I LOVE TRACTORS. Mahindra would be my 2nd choice behind New Holland