Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #1

My new bike; Zongshen Sierra

I just bought this bike about a week ago.

I've been reading this site for a while and appreciate all the information available. Thought I'd post to say hello and maybe ask a few questions. I know most of the info on this site is related to the Lifan models and I'm not sure how similar these are (according to my manual it's a 200GY-2 but the engine, among other things, says Zongshen on it). This is also my first bike so some of my questions may seem stupid to the more experienced.

Cruising about 45mph the engine seems a bit busy. I'm not sure what the front sprocket is on this bike, but the back says it's a 46. I'm mostly using the bike for commuting, but will probably want to ride at around 50mph for stretches here and there. My questions is whether the engine should be able to handle riding at these speeds for 5-10 miles at a time with the stock setup. Without a tach I'm not sure if that would be running it too hard.

I've only got about 85 miles on the bike, but no problems whatsoever. Really liking it so far. Paid a little extra to get it from a local dealer so they could handle the prep work, but for the price I can't imagine a better bike for my current needs.

Thanks again for info you can provide, and I really appreciate all the info here. Hopefully at some point I'll be able to contribute more than questions.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:20 PM   #2

Pull the 2 bolts out (8mm) that hold on your front sprocket cover. Pop off the cover and count the teeth. Front wants to be a 17 for on-road cruising. If it is, and the rear is a 46, you are all set for pavement. That ratio cruises real nice at 50 - 55 mph. If front is a 14 or 15, you'll need to buy a 17 if your gonna ride on the road much.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003
If front is a 14 or 15, you'll need to buy a 17 if your gonna ride on the road much.
Keep in mind that this engine is not the Honda-ish type that most of these bikes come with, so the majority of front sprockets would probably not work with this bike.

Member 'SamM' has one of these, and has taken it apart, so should be able to provide you with inside/outside knowledge of this bike, and is even parting it out if you want "extras."

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003
... If front is a 14 or 15, you'll need to buy a 17 if your gonna ride on the road much.
Thanks! It's supposed to rain tomorrow so I guess I'll pull it off and have a look. I'll follow up here in case it's useful to anyone in the future.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune
Keep in mind that this engine is not the Honda-ish type that most of these bikes come with, so the majority of front sprockets would probably not work with this bike.
Yeah, but it IS a Zongshen, and Zongshen makes the Honda clone too, like in my Roketa, so I'll bet money the output shafts are the same. The Zongshen OHC 200 in my Roketa takes the same sprockets as the Lifans, Hi Birds, etc.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 04-08-2008, 11:31 PM   #6

Sam, please chime in...

Old 04-10-2008, 09:25 AM   #7

Bruce knows. The zongshen is suppose to be slightly different than the lifan.

If you need a sprocket then order one from Bruce and he will send the right one. Bruce is member EJcycles

Allen

Old 04-11-2008, 04:19 PM   #8

These are fun bikes. I picked mine up about a week ago from Economy Cycle in Zion, IL www.economycycle.com I have about 150 miles on it, and it has been nothing but a blast. Not quite the power\performance of my R6, but it does the trick for going to and from work. I did find that with the stock fork guards, the forks would not fully compress. I was going to cut em down a bit, but decided I'd just take them off for the time being. Glad to see more are finding out about the zongshen. I couldn't beat the out the door price for it, and the fuel economy it gets. Superb. I have a few pics of it on my site. No action/scenery pics yet. Weather here has been poor.

http://andrewgore.net/?page_id=31

Andrew

Old 04-11-2008, 09:47 PM   #9

I had a choice between that bike and my bike, at first I was going to get the Z because it actually looked tougher than my xf200, so I sat on it and moved it around, than just for shits and giggles i sat on mine, the weight and balance difference of the two bikes seemed drastic, How much does your bike weigh, mine weighs 271,

Old 04-11-2008, 09:48 PM   #10

Those are sharp looking bikes.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:25 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to PorterzCustomz
thats a really nice looking bike esp in black or orange!!

love it!

Old 04-12-2008, 10:30 AM   #12

Send a message via MSN to max_damage
Re: My new bike; Zongshen Sierra

Mine Zongshen 200gy-2 has front 14T sprocket,and back sprocket 46T,and my fifth gear has no acceleration at all :( ,im going to try 15T or even 16T sprocket.
http://global.ebay.com/gbh/viItem?ItemId=250234628875
I wish you many miles on your new bike