Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #1

changing tires

how do you guys change your atv tires ?

would like to be able to do this myself but when i had my rear tire swapped out even the machine had a hard time doing it and it costs me 25 bucks per tire to have it changed

Old 09-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #2

I ask my buddy from the tire shop to do it. It took him about two minutes to install a tube in my quad rim, taking his time.

He is now a sales rep, but when he used to change tires, he won what's known as a tire rodeo. He was able to mount a car tire on a rim, seat the bead and inflate it to 32psi within 32 seconds. 8O

Maybe I can convince him to let me film him changing a quad tire for the benefit of the forum. That should only cost a couple of beers.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I ask my buddy from the tire shop to do it. It took him about two minutes to install a tube in my quad rim, taking his time.

He is now a sales rep, but when he used to change tires, he won what's known as a tire rodeo. He was able to mount a car tire on a rim, seat the bead and inflate it to 32psi within 32 seconds. 8O

Maybe I can convince him to let me film him changing a quad tire for the benefit of the forum. That should only cost a couple of beers.
Tell him to slow down so we can figure it out!

Old 09-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #4

Give him the beers first. It needs to be entertaining too. :wink:

Old 09-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #5

from watching videos on youtube it seems its just easier to pay to have it done.. other wise i need to buy a bead breaker, but with how little i ride and will rarely ever have to change tires it wont get much use..

Old 09-11-2010, 12:35 AM   #6

I would also love to see the video, W&G.

Here is an inexpensive, ATV tire changer from Harbor Freight; it's even currently on sale!

http://www.harborfreight.com/mini-ti...ger-34552.html

If this ATV tire changer works, it will pay for itself very quickly, Mike. Here is a link to a nice thread describing how to use the Mini-tire changer.

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic10771

This item seems to get pretty good reviews.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-11-2010, 01:22 AM   #7

i am deff going to look into getting that !!!! thanks spud even if i dont get while its on sale at 55 bucks shipped its not to bad of a price

Old 09-11-2010, 01:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke
i am deff going to look into getting that !!!! thanks spud even if i dont get while its on sale at 55 bucks shipped its not to bad of a price
You're welcome, Mike. I have read this Harbor Freight Mini-tire Changer is sometimes priced as low as $30. Also, you might be able to find a 20 percent off coupon.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-11-2010, 01:36 AM   #9

i get their paper every time the send out a new one, but i think those coupons are for in store items only..

Old 09-11-2010, 02:16 AM   #10

I have never changed an ATV tire, so I will gladly defer to others who have more experience. After reading a bit on this topic, I surmise one of the major problems is breaking the bead on an ATV tire. I don't know how well this Harbor Freight tool will perform. :? Incidentally, this Mini-tire changer is also sold by several other vendors.

http://www2.northerntool.com/auto-re...em-13473-1.htm
http://www.gesusa.com/Ranger-RWS-2TC...r-p/132802.htm
http://www.bendpak.com/shop-equipmen...t/RWS-2TC.aspx

Some reviewers say this tool is too weak for changing ATV tires. :( I have read some people get the local Wal-Mart to mount their ATV tires for a modest price.

This is certainly an interesting topic; I am interested to hear the opinions from the more experienced members of this forum.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-11-2010, 02:34 AM   #11

after looking at it more, it appears that because of the way atv wheels are... the center of the wheel is opened up and not just a small hole for the axle. you would have to pull the whole wheel/hub off and leave the hub mounted to the wheel..

im pondering making my own, ive got a metal fencing pole concreted into the ground.. drill a hole through it and use 2 peices of flat metal, bolt them slightly loosely to it, one on each side of the pole. then drill a hole in the flat bars say 1ft out from the center pole in the ground, then take another pole and drill a hole in that and bolt it to the flat bars. that should be roughly like the ones you see on hf and ebay. it should be fine for breaking the bead.

ive seen people on youtube use a concrete parking space bumper placed on the tire about a inch from the wheel, then drive a truck up on it and it pops the bead quickly.. but my thing is actually taking the tire off.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #12

CHANGING TIRES

I deflate the tire.. ( remove valve if you want) then I break the bead on the rear of the rim first.. sometimes you have to put something under the rim so you can force it to break easier.. and it also helps to use some liquid soap to hel the bead to slip loose.. then do the front side.. remove the tire from the front side of the tire.. the rim lip is small that way... unless you have the larger ATV tires.. I do this all the time.. takes maybe about 2-10 minutes.. depends how it goes.. this saves $$$ you can practice on the small tires until you get the nack of doing it