Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #1

Magician 250 starter

Anyone have any issues with the starter continuing to run after starting? I have had this happen a few times, and am unsure how to determine if it is the solenoid sticking or the wiring. I have taken apart the push button and followed the wires down, and I don't see any obvious problems. Should I replace the solenoid? Are there better ways to test to ensure that the solenoid is the problem? I can't replicate the problem at will, so it is tough to get a multimeter or something in place when it happens to check. So far, I've rushed to disconnect the battery when it happened so that I don't burn out the starter.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:29 PM   #2

I would start by cleaning the starter button contacts on the bars. If that fails, I would replace the starter relay. They are around $10 the last time I saw one.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:42 AM   #3

I would connect a little lite/LED to the solenoid control wire, it should only be on while using the starter button.

when the starter stays running if it is out it is the solenoid, if it is on it is the starter switch

Old 08-02-2018, 11:02 AM   #4

Remove whatever you need to in order to easily access the solenoid. When the symptom occurs, unplug the small two-wire connector at the solenoid and see if the starter stops. If it does not, the solenoid needs to be replaced.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-02-2018, 12:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I would start by cleaning the starter button contacts on the bars. If that fails, I would replace the starter relay. They are around $10 the last time I saw one.
Thanks, I'll give that another look. The button setup is pretty finicky, so I could easily see that being a problem. I may look into a better button to replace it if that is the problem. Where did you see these relays for sale? I was just going to replace it with something similar from the auto parts store if necessary.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
I would connect a little lite/LED to the solenoid control wire, it should only be on while using the starter button.

when the starter stays running if it is out it is the solenoid, if it is on it is the starter switch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Remove whatever you need to in order to easily access the solenoid. When the symptom occurs, unplug the small two-wire connector at the solenoid and see if the starter stops. If it does not, the solenoid needs to be replaced.
Perfectly easy tests! Why didn't I think of these! I was way over complicating it in my head.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:31 AM   #7

That's the beauty of brainstorming. When you have questions, don't be shy about asking them here; several members love to help.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-03-2018, 06:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post

And if it dose stop the start button is the issue...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com