Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #1

My 2009 URAL Gear-Up Limited Edition Sahara

Well, I finally did it! Last month, I purchased a new to me 2009 URAL Gear-Up Sahara. I saved a considerable amount over a brand new rig that I was planning to buy this Spring. The Sahara has 17k miles and is in great shape. Plus it's a Limited Edition model. Only 50 of these were imported. I have already started upgrading the new rig with new 2013 air horns, carb brackets, bar risers, and a few other odds and ends.

So far, I have kept the bike close to home and have only ventured out to church and a few buddies' houses. I'm still trying to learn how to ride it. The rig is nothing like a motorcycle, that's for sure. Future plans include: new hand shifters for reverse and all forward gears, an updated foot shifter, foot boxes, windscreens for the bike and hack, Heidenau K37 dualsport tires, and a Solo T Adventure seat. I'll replace the stock exhaust with an Adventure FMF exhaust from Raceway Services in May. The 2WD has been very handy as I have used it every time I've had the bike out. My yard is very steep and without 2WD, it would be impossible to get it into the garage. I made the right choice when I bought the URAL. It will replace a KLR, a work car, my Jeep Wrangler as my Winter commuter vehicle and my Polaris 500HO ATV that was sold awhile back. The URAL will do just about everything for me.

Here are a few pictures.

Yesterday, I purchased another new project vehicle. Go figure! It's a 1969 Kaiser Jeep M715 military truck. It was used as a brush fire truck by a VFD in either NC or SC. Not sure which yet. My plan is to turn it into a camper/tow rig/expedition vehicle. We'll be doing an engine/drivetrain swap and I'm looking for an S250 radio communication shelter to use as a camper. I'll be converting it back to a convertible soft top. Not sure what engine will go into it yet, but I'd like it to be powerful enough to haul a trailer w/bike or my Jeep Wrangler. The stock axles are rather weak, so it will get new 1-Ton axles to make it a true 1.25-Ton vehicle. Stay tuned this will be a good one.

2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 03-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #2

Those are both so cool, I can hardly stand it! I can't wait to see what you do with that Kaiser. 8)

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #3

I like I could ride year round here on a URAL. Sounds like best solution for you.

As for the kaiser I would look at a 12v 5.9l cummins from an early dodge. Unless you want to stay gas.

The 12v is all mechanical and parts are easily found. Plus alot of transmission options are available.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #4

Wonderful news, Sam.

A WW II or Korean War Jeep is one of my most coveted vehicles. I love antique military arms and vehicles!

The Ural is awesome. Not often a bike replaces all those other vehicles, even a snowmobile!

Old 03-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #5

A 4bt in a M715.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...68-Kaiser-M715

Old 03-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #6

Old 03-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
Administrator

Wow, that is too cool! Congrats on the new purchase, and best of luck with it!

Old 03-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #8

Thanks guys! I am very excited about both of these vehicles. The URAL is just awesome. It's old and clunky looking but new. People just can't actually believe it's a 2009 model. I tell them and they're like, "what?" Just bewildered looks is what I get back.

Weldandgrind and Katoranger,
I'd love to go with a 5.9L 12V Cummins. That's my dream engine for the 715. I may go with a sbc and a propane conversion. Something powerful and reliable with an NV4500 behind it. The 1-Ton axles are cheap where I live. People throw them out.

I've been wanting an MV for a long time. My concern was that an M35A2 was too much for my planned use. The 715 is perfect. I'd rather build something unique as opposed to buying it from a dealer. Who has a ragtop 5/4-ton Jeep pickup 4x4 camper. When I saw it, I had to have it. I basically bought it for $2500. The plan is to first get it running. I'll use it, as is for awhile. It's low mileage and ran good when it was parked. Bought it from a good friend's brother and the good friend bought my KLX. Next winter, I'll take it down to the frame and start there. It needs some bodywork but not much. The tailgate says Jeep and is sure to throw people off as to what it really is. The coolest thing about the Kaiser is that the windshield folds down. It also has a factory winch but it's heavy and runs off a heavy PTO unit. I may ditch it and use a Mile Marker hydraulic winch or a Warn electric winch. This truck has power nothing in it, so power steering and power disc brakes will be added.

My current project in order of importance is my 1997 Jeep Wrangler. It needs saved with some framework and new fenders. It looks like MetalCloak is going to save it. I plan to keep the Wrangler even though it has been replaced by the URAL. It will no longer do commuter duty, unless it 's VERY nasty out.

I'll keep you guys posted on my progress. Yes, I'm still doing the Diesel KLR. I've been making some calls and looking at drive systems. I need to design a way to drive 400lb motorcycle, with a 13hp engine, to up to a 80mph topspeed and get close to 150mpg or better. Any thoughts? I think I have it worked out. Who can guess the drive mechanism? It can be done!
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 03-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #9

What does the kaiser have for engine now?

Old 03-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #10

It has a 230cid Tornado inline 6-cylinder gas engine, a Jeep T-98 4-speed transmission and a divorced NP200 straight-cut gear transfer case. The NP200 is the weak link along, with the front Dana 60 and rear Dana 70 axles. The axles have 5.87 gear sets and small diameter shafts. They are the heaviest axles ever used in a Jeep product but aren't much better than Dana 44 axles and they are non-power drum braked equipped. I'd like to keep them but it doesn't make any sense to do that. 1-Ton Dana's are cheap and easy to find here. The conversion of these to higher gear sets and discs can be done but would be more $ than newer better axle assemblies. I've been researching this for days. A Ford 1-Ton van Dana 70U is a bolt-in for this truck. A standard military Dana 60 front axle assembly will also easily bolt into the front. I'll probably buy a thrashed CUCV and steal the axles from it. A 14B rear axle would be a good swap and those axles would be a matched set. A NV4500 tranny and NP241 transfer case will be my best bet. The NP divorced units are cool but make noise and vibrate like nothing you have ever felt before. This thing has to do extreme tow duty and pull all my toys to my mountain camp.

New springs and a spring over swap will be the plan. I'll post pictures of the truck that I will pattern mine after tonight.
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 03-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #11

You will need to upgrade the axles and brakes if you plan to drive it on the road.

Gearing will really depend on what size tire you run.

I think that the newer ford 1 ton vans have rear disc brakes. The vans have a different bolt pattern than the super duty trucks so you can't mix a van axle with a truck axle. The share the pattern with a the 97 and older trucks.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #12

The Ford van Dana 70U has drums and a standard 8-lug pattern. A swap to discs is fairly inexpensive. The gearing will be 4.56 which is pretty standard with the CUCV axles. I'd like to use 37 or 40" 12.50 tires on 17 or maybe even 20" wheels. It just depends on how deep my pockets are during the build. When compared to the cost of my brother-in-law's new 2012 Dodge Cummins Diesel automatic, 4-door 3/4 Ton, which is off the Richter scale at almost $50,000, it will be a bargain. I'll have a cooler truck that I can actually use off-road and it will tow more weight on the highway. It won't be as comfortable but it will be close. The 5.9L TD is really the engine that I want. It has been swapped into the 715 before, so it's doable. This is the same plan that I had for an M35A2. The M715 makes more sense than the M35 and doesn't require a crane to work on it. The M35 trucks have a higher initial price tag too.

Admittedly, I have lofty goals. If you are going to dream, dream BIG!
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 03-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #13

I think you previously said HD trans for the diesel KLR; have you changed your mind?

Speaking of diesel, I'd lean that way over a SBC on propane. While propane is a little cleaner, you lose 20% off the top, and that negates the power you're after.

In the interest of something different, one of the Olds diesels from the 80's would be interesting. They have thick internal webbing, and they occupy the same space as a SBC. Induction is only limited by your budget and imagination.

Have you considered Rockwell axles?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #14

Love the Ural Sam, still one of my favorite bikes! Very nearly pulled the trigger on one myself, a new Patrol T

Old 03-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #15

Congratulations on both acquisitions, Sam! I really like the Ural with sidecar.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894