Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2022, 10:16 PM   #1

Orion RXB (2021) Exhaust - No User Serviceable Parts Inside...

Just in case anyone was wondering... I just had to take my RXB250L's muffler "apart," and I use that term loosely. It turns out that both the front and rear end caps are welded to the perforated tube on both ends on the inside so it is absolutely impossible to take the muffler apart without either cutting off the exhaust tip or cutting the perf tube somewhere along its length -- if you can even manage a way to do that. The muffler is also not a slip on. It is welded to the mid pipe so you can't even ditch it without also finding a compatible mid pipe, or just cut it off and hope you can find a replacement slip on that's long enough to meet up with the stump or weld or clamp your own extension onto the mid pipe.

This is monumentally annoying because this means there's functionally no way for most people to ever repack the muffler when it is time. All I had to do was get it apart to install a spark arrestor, which it does not come with, and what should have been a 20 minute job turned into an hours long odyssey.

I only leave this here for posterity, in case some poor bastard in the future tries to take one of these apart and can't. So this is why.

Yes, I got it apart: https://imgur.com/pDwUd5p

No, it wasn't pretty: https://imgur.com/TIeZcDu

I wound up cutting a slot all the way around the tube on the exhaust tip as far in as I could get a Dremel and a cutting disk. This leaves the perf tube floating around in the packing as it does not slip into the angled portion of the interior of the exhaust tip like you'd expect: https://imgur.com/jjWEOy6

You can also see in that picture where it is welded. The other end is welded on, too: https://imgur.com/JwQ69oM

I'll have to see if I can find a section of narrow exhaust pipe or steel tube to go over the joint I've now made in the thing, to keep the perf tube from knocking around in there when I put it back together. I did sandwich a spark screen in there so at least that is done. I verified that the exhaust tip is steel (although the muffler can is aluminum) so I might weld some nuts to the inside of it as well so I can screw it back together rather than having to use rivets again

Old 07-25-2022, 07:26 AM   #2

I immediately though of a short inner sleeve to stabilize the union at the cut site on the perf tube. Or outer sleeve. In fact, it could be welded in place on one side or the other which would be a more permanent solution. That is, providing that it doesn't block the spark arrester install. If so, then outer sleeve would be the only option.

Old 07-25-2022, 10:49 AM   #3

I walked across the street to the AutoZone and found a 1-1/4" ID to 1-1/2" ID exhaust bell reducer. The 1-1/4" side fits perfectly over the tube in the exhaust tip, so I will make my sleeve out of that. I take that to mean that the inner neck of the exhaust tip is the same size as standard 1-1/4" exhaust pipe. That beats having to fabricate my own short tube, which I could certainly do out of sheet metal but that's a pain and it wouldn't be pretty (although no one will see it).

All this because an area I'm going to ride in a couple of weeks requires a spark arrestor and the RXB250, despite being billed as a trail bike, ain't got one from the factory. Curiously the RXB150 a friend of mine ordered does have one, which doesn't make a truckload of sense to me. I was trying to avoid ordering the $82 tiny diameter installs-with-a-setscrew part but at this rate I may have been better off just doing that in the first place. Oh well.

Old 07-25-2022, 11:31 AM   #4

I think you will need to shorten the perf tube to make room for the over/under section so the tip section can get to the muffler housing... More cutting! But sounds like you are done "engineering".

Old 07-25-2022, 11:49 AM   #5

That's the neat part: You can't. There's an angle in the end of it, formed where it welds to the exhaust tip. The outlet of the exhaust tip is angled downwards relative to the perf tube. It's not a straight shot right out the back of the exhaust. It the tube needs to remain the same length, and if you shortened it, it would not line up anymore. I'll post a picture before I put it back together tonight.

I'm going to have to knock about 1 mill off of either the neck on the exhaust tip or its mate on the other end where I chopped it in half in order to make room for the spark screen's thickness. Otherwise, I just need to cut my sleeve to exactly the right length so it butts up against the bottom of the angle on the one end, and the interior of the exhaust tip on the other. The coupler I got is plenty long so I'll just shave it little by little until it's a perfect fit and doesn't rattle.

Old 07-25-2022, 09:25 PM   #6

All back together.

https://imgur.com/cbE3vKG

I welded some 4mm nuts to the inside of the exhaust tip, because forget rivets if I ever need to tune or adjust my gimcrack setup: https://imgur.com/8dO9ifW

The stupid thing is now held together with screws: https://imgur.com/iiD7E24

I made a little sleeve out of the section of exhaust pipe I mentioned earlier and shaved and trimmed and shaved and trimmed until it is exactly the length to press against the inside of the exhaust tip and up against the angled/flared portion of the perf tube so neither it nor anything else rattles, and it sandwiches my spark screen in there. I did not take a picture of that because you really can't see down the bore when it's assembled. But no matter -- it's back together and Ranger Rick won't bust my balls if I get stopped in the woods.

What a pain in the ass.

Old 07-25-2022, 10:10 PM   #7

Nothing is Easy
But as Ian Anderson said, "You'll find that the squeeze won't turn out so bad".

Nice work dude.

Old 07-26-2022, 11:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_dgz View Post
...Ranger Rick won't bust my balls if I get stopped in the woods.

What a pain in the ass.
I didn't realize how much of a pain spart arresting an exhaust was until I owned an Orion RXB.

Congrats on DIY-ing your way through it. Looks good.