Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2024, 09:47 PM   #1

New old guy checking in.

Hi, guys. New member intro. First of all, thank you all for being here and sharing your knowledge and expertise about these bikes.
My last Dual Sport was a KLR 650 which I loved for 18 years. Last year I came to the realization that I was now an old phardt who could no longer handle a big, tall and heavy KLR and so with sadness I sold it.
So now I'm thinking about picking up a Hawk (or something similar) to scratch my off-pavement itch. The Hawk DLX seems particularly attractive, what with the upgraded suspension, EFI and all.
Most of the expected mileage will be on paved two-laned back roads along with some FS type gravel/dirt. Rarely over 55mph. The Hawk seems perfect for that.
Now, the next question is where to get one. There seems to be quite a number of potential vendors but so far I'm leaning toward Orion Powersports or maybe Venom. Any recommendations?

Old 09-22-2024, 12:22 AM   #2

Just have a look at the templar 250X and KPX250 before pulling the trigger on a HAWK DLX.

Can't say much about vendors but I know there are some best avoided...So I'm sure someone in the USA with more information will chime in soon.

Old 09-22-2024, 05:53 AM   #3

I purchased my TemplarX from PowersportsMax back in April and they were good to work with.

https://www.powersportsmax.com/

Old 09-22-2024, 07:48 AM   #4

Welcome aboard.

I too am suffering from Old Phart Syndrome and find swinging my leg over my CX500 a bit more of a chore than I like and decided it needs a new home. Not too many folks are interested in a 45 year old bike, though.

A lot of knowledgeable folks here.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 09-22-2024, 10:45 AM   #5

Thanks for the response, guys.
The Lifan KPX is a very strong contender. Very strong.
The Templar X does seem like a real bargain. PowersportsMAX classifies it as "off road only." That could be a deal breaker if my local bureaucRATS decide not to give me a plate for it. So if anyone has successfully registered a Templar X in NC, please advise.

Old 09-23-2024, 03:38 PM   #6

It would appear that NC registration can get by on a MCO "motorcycle" paperwork.

So if you can find a seller that will provide that 'detail' you should theoretically be able to get a templar X plated....?

Though I can't say for certain and I'm not sure if any forum users have actually done it...

https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=21071

Old 09-24-2024, 08:36 AM   #7

Check with the License Bureau folks about any bike you're interested in. my first Hawk I bought back in 2016 was a problem to get registered. I ended up registering it in SD to get around the problem. Others though, have been successful.

The key, I think, is to be sure the MCO says "Motorcycle" and not "dirt bike". Check with the company you purchase the bike from.

I see "WNC". I rode my hawk a good bit in the Robbinsville/Cherohala area. The hawk did just fine except one time when I broke a chain and not master link to repair it.

If $ is not a big issue for you, I would recommend the KPX. it's $1000 more but you get 6 speed, counterbalanced. Not to mention the quality is better. However, the quality of chinese bikes has gone up, so with routine tinkering they are good for the type of riding you're looking to do.

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old 09-24-2024, 09:04 AM   #8

Welcome! I love my carb'ed Hawk, but if I had the extra $1K, I would definitely go with the KPX 250. If you go through Venom, I believe JerryHawk250 may have a $50 discount. Not sure...

God bless the Chinese. (I like to say that in case they decide to call in their loan to the U.S.)

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM   #9

Welcome to the forum. I like my DLX, quite a bit, but if you can afford the small premium, there are better options. Part of the love for my DLX was that I paid 25% of retail for it, gently used.
* Banjo brake light switch
* LED headlight + front turn signals
* Custom cutting board skid plate
* Debadged (I don't like to brag about the
superior strength!)
* Top speed, GPS verified, as equipped: 68
mph (so far)

Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM   #10

Well, I must confess that I do enjoy tinkering with carbs and stuff. I've only owned one EFI bike, a V-Strom 650. It was a great bike but it came to my stable a little too late for me to feel confident in handling its heft and height. Not the bike's fault, I just got too old for it.

I just happened across a bike at TXPowersports that looks right up my alley. They call it "BMS Enduro CRP 250" and it seems very much like a Hawk. USD forks, CG motor, carburetor... however a quick search didn't bring up much info. Seems to be out of stock for now. Can any of you comment on it?

Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM   #11

That BMS (Bashan Motorsports) dual sport is practically identical to the Bashan Storm. It is a nice combination of features for a nice price, and I can attest to the overall quality of the Storm. Hawk and the BMS 250 have a 233cc 14hp pushrod engine. These are known as the "CG250", and it is essentially a Honda 125 or 150cc engine clone. These are VERY dependable engines, but so is the 249cc CB250F engine, which has an overhead cam (OHC). This is the 172FMM engine, another Honda clone. The 172FMM makes about 20 hp, and it is on the Templars and the KPX. Templars get a Zongshen manufactured version, and KPX gets essentially the same engine, but made by Lifan.

Notice that the seat on the Bashan BMS 250 is a very comfortable wide padded two step seat. The seat on the Templars and the KPX is narrower and longer, and doesn't have that pocket. This "flat" seat allows you to move forward when going up a hill, or shift your weight back on the seat in downhills on the trails. The Hawk has the same kind of "pocket" seat that you see on the Bashan BMS 250 CRP that is more comfortable, but also plants you permanently in one place. This can be annoying on a longer drive when you want to change your seating position.

Hawks and the BMS 250 have full size wheels (18"/21"), which gives you more aftermarket options for tires when you need them. Older Bashan bikes mostly had 17"/19" wheels. Hawks did too.

There used to be Bashan "Brozz" and "Recon" which had 18"/21" wheels in their last year available, whereas my Storm had the smaller wheels.

One benefit of the 21" front wheel is that the larger tire gets over bumps and rocks more easily. If you find some trails that you would like to take, these full size front wheels are definitely better.

Last edited by Thumper; Today at 11:43 AM.

Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM   #12

Thanks for the info, Thumper.
I think I would really like the USD forks that it seems to come with. According to TXPowersports it also comes with a SOHC Zongshen 5-speed, carbureted. From what I read, Zong seems to be a premium China motor.
I can usually get a carb to run respectably, if not perfectly. I can probably get by without EFI. For now, the BMS CRP seems to get my vote.

Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM   #13

The issue with most 5 speeds Chonda engines is that they rarely have a counterbalance, so do vibrate.

though to get the 6th gear you typically lose the kickstart.

a bike frame built for a counterbalanced engine will have more alternative engine oportunities.

5 speed non balanced frame will probably only take another 5 speed non balanced engine.

the 14hp CG250 5speed will be happier not going over 55mph and will struggle trying to get to 65mph on a good day.

a 6 speed with closer to 20hp would achieve higher speeds at lower revs when geared for top end.

If you don't mind fettling with carburetors then you have more options...EFI can negate that but could also have its own possible niggles that might be more complicated to address...

Old Yesterday, 04:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
Well, I must confess that I do enjoy tinkering with carbs and stuff. I've only owned one EFI bike, a V-Strom 650. It was a great bike but it came to my stable a little too late for me to feel confident in handling its heft and height. Not the bike's fault, I just got too old for it.

I just happened across a bike at TXPowersports that looks right up my alley. They call it "BMS Enduro CRP 250" and it seems very much like a Hawk. USD forks, CG motor, carburetor... however a quick search didn't bring up much info. Seems to be out of stock for now. Can any of you comment on it?
IIRC, you should stay away from TX Powersports. I believe that's a "Manny" company and not to be trusted. someone correct me if I'm wrong. As mentioned above check with Venom Motorsports if you can. JerryHawk250 who is an admin here can help with a small discount.

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM   #15

Thanks for the heads up.