Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #1

Street beater Panterra 125 gy-2

2004 Panterra 125 from what I can gather. Had it for awhile, just now really getting in to it. I rode it twice last year and pushed it home twice last year. It's not a light bike and I live in east TN. There is no flat land, I swear it's uphill both ways. That's the way it feels at least. Because of this and the fact I can't title it I'm in the process of stripping it. I want it as light and simple as possible. It's not a commuter just a beater. The only thing left is all the excess bracketry to cut off and moving the toolkit. I'm going to remove the triangular frame sections for the rear peg mounts too. I'd honestly like to go supermoto but I need to do some more research first. I may be able to get this thing legal soon so we'll see. I'm going to go flat black on everything but the engine and rims. Still have some electrical work to but it runs good. Needs the lifters adjusted though. I want to go with a plastic tank, anybody know a good bolt in preferrably in black? Performance wise the only thing I've done is port the headpipe, drill out the muffler, put on a 43 tooth sprocket and adjust the carb. The slow jet seems to be pretty lean. It doesn't really like to start without choke even when warm. I have a pod and jet kit in the mail. This thing is asking for a real silencer too. I'm probably going to bump up the pilot jet and remove the choke assembly completely. You'd be surprised the difference it makes getting that butterfly out of the way. I'm going to wait on that till I decide if I'm going to kepp this carb or not. Should be doing an engine swap soon.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:34 PM   #2

It looks like a naked XR200. I wonder if an old XR tank would fit? It would be red, though.

That wiring harness is frightening! 8O

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #3

I probably have some more parts here that you will be interested in.

CFR150R exhaust. Loud, but flows well. Alot lighter than your stocker too.

Also an xr250 tank.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:32 AM   #4

Are you kidding me? You were for real when you said "take a walk through my personal junkyard" weren't you? Can't wait to make it down, it's looking like I'm going to put in some overtime first.Lol. I bet you have an inner fender/mudguard for the rear to don't you?

Old 03-04-2010, 08:48 AM   #5

Yep.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #6

8O

Old 03-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilkikin
Are you kidding me? You were for real when you said "take a walk through my personal junkyard" weren't you? Can't wait to make it down, it's looking like I'm going to put in some overtime first.Lol. I bet you have an inner fender/mudguard for the rear to don't you?
I have this bike also. I installed a 39T sprocket for relaxed pavement riding. Let us know how you removed the valve cover without dropping the engine. Lynn

Old 03-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #8

I had my valve cover off while I was replacing engine bolts, but I did it again and was able to just barely squeaze it out.

Some have ground the fins off the top of the cover to give more cleareance.

Allen

Old 03-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #9

dunno if one will fit but the p.o.r apache 125 and bashan gy125 both come with black plastic tanks.
lee

Old 03-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I had my valve cover off while I was replacing engine bolts, but I did it again and was able to just barely squeaze it out.

Allen
Thanks I'll try that. Lynn

Old 03-05-2010, 08:06 AM   #11

They really made it a PITA to get the cover off didn't they? Looks like I'm going to have to drop the engine tonight, at least tilt it some. I'll try grinding the cover down while it's off. I can get to the intake side just not the exhaust side. I see now why it rattles so much. These's easily a 1/16 of an inch lash. Nowhere near spec. But I haven't found one thing properly maintained on this bike yet so what should I expect ya know? The oil screen was crushed up and twisted in a little ball, wasn't doing a damn thing. I'm going to pull the spark plug drain the oil and fill it with kerosene and turn it over for awhile. This will get it all cleaned out cause there's all kinda trash in this motor. Then change the oil a couple times. The carb is full of a mix of rust, water and gel/gas. It was pretty nasty. it's soaking now. I've got some work to get this thing tuned up this year.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #12

[quote="lynnrb"][quote="katoranger"]I had my valve cover off while I was replacing engine bolts, but I did it again and was able to just barely squeaze it out.

Allen[/quot

I have owned it since new, and now have it registered and licenced for on road use. Added mirrors and turn indicators, even a windscreen. It runs about 60 at 6000 rpm with the 39T sprocket. Lynn

Old 03-05-2010, 06:06 PM   #13

I am surprise it can pull that 39t sprocket. I had a 42T. Needed to slip the clutch on some hills to get started.

Allen

Old 03-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I am surprise it can pull that 39t sprocket. I had a 42T. Needed to slip the clutch on some hills to get started.

Allen
I am mostly riding on roads dirt/payment, not much on trails. I have not run 5th gear out, but it will not redline in 5th. If you do the math you will see there is not much difference between 39T and 42T. I would have perfered the 42T, but could not find one. Lynn

Old 03-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #15

just seeing if I'm still banned for no reason.