Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2010, 09:59 AM   #1

Help - Unable to remove Gio 125cc stator

I have the fly wheel off, a new performance stator ordered and on it's way, but I cannot loosen the two screws/bolts holding in the old stator.

My son had a bit of a chain situation and the stator on the bike is all busted up. Appreciate any tips out there before the screw head is totally messed up.

Thanks

Old 07-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #2

My first thought is gentle use of an impact (if they can be used gently). What type of screw head is on there now?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #3

The head is a phillips, or star. I'm using a full size screwdriver head to prevent stripping it, but I'm starting to wear it down. Wondering about heating the stator or something like that ... hoping to get a few tricks people have tried.

I've read other posts in this forum and they indicate it's a 15 minute job. I don't doubt it if I could only get the blasted old stator off :roll:

There's an impact drill at the farm ... I'll give it a go.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #4

Welcome to the forums, BTW.

I hope they caught the guy who invented the Phillips. I hate 'em on bikes. An impact with the right bit should do the trick, although you might need someone to brace the bike from the other side so you can really lean into it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #5

While mine is from CT, something like this is what i use for stuck phillips head machine screws

http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-...ase-37530.html

Old 07-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Welcome to the forums, BTW.

I hope they caught the guy who invented the Phillips. I hate 'em on bikes. An impact with the right bit should do the trick, although you might need someone to brace the bike from the other side so you can really lean into it.
I hate'em on everything. Yay Robertson!!

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 07-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #7

Phillips are ok, but you need to have the right screwdriver, the odds are the "phillips" looking screws on most products that came from japan, china and such won't take "our" north american screwdriver as most are JIS and unless you have a set of JIS scrwdrivers you will probably strip them using "our" phillips screwdrivers.

http://www.rjrcooltools.com/jis.cfm

Old 07-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #8

I remember having a problem with an exceptionaly tight phillips on the throtle assembly of my new bike. I mentioned it on here and Katoranger said he had a similar issue on his. He told me to get a set of philllip heads and try each one till I got the best fit. Sure enough I found one that fit perfectly and I was easily able to loosen the screw then. I had allways assumed a set of Phillip heads were just extras of the same size but perhaps they are actually seperate sizes. ( I would'nt mind learning the truth)

Old 07-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
I had allways assumed a set of Phillip heads were just extras of the same size but perhaps they are actually seperate sizes. ( I would'nt mind learning the truth)
http://www.instructables.com/id/When...ot-a-Phillips/

Old 07-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
http://www.instructables.com/id/When-a-Phillips-is-not-a-Phillips/
Excellent link, although there was no mention of the Pozi drive, which also looks suspiciously like a Phillips, but a Phillips will slip in it. I see lots of Pozi stuff coming out of Europe.

I do like Phillips for drywall, because they slip when the screw is properly countersunk.

X2 on Robertson. Yay Robertson!

end of hijack.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:12 PM   #11

Quote:
While mine is from CT, something like this is what i use for stuck phillips head machine screws

http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-...ase-37530.html
This is the tool I use. Select the bit that fits best. Give a couple firm whacks. They will probably come out.

Old hondas are notoriously for stuck screws.

Allen

Old 07-29-2010, 01:21 AM   #12

Yep, a little anti-seize goes a long way.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:25 AM   #13

Thanks all for the replies.

My brother-in-law came over last night with an "easy out". Basically, he just drilled a hole into the bolt, insert the easy out and continue in the loosen direction. Because the easy out has a reversed thread, it actually tightens into the bolt.

Set this all up with a variable speed drill and the screws came out no problem. I have to say, I was starting to panic thinking about having the new stator in my hand and not able to get the old one off.

Great forum! Thanks folks.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
I had allways assumed a set of Phillip heads were just extras of the same size but perhaps they are actually seperate sizes. ( I would'nt mind learning the truth)
http://www.instructables.com/id/When...ot-a-Phillips/
Lots of good info there. Thanks for the link. Never had any idea there were so many different types of drives. Perhaps i should be on the look out for a more organized driver set that has most of the drives and can be kept organized.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by awbrooke824
Thanks all for the replies.

My brother-in-law came over last night with an "easy out". Basically, he just drilled a hole into the bolt, insert the easy out and continue in the loosen direction. Because the easy out has a reversed thread, it actually tightens into the bolt.

Set this all up with a variable speed drill and the screws came out no problem. I have to say, I was starting to panic thinking about having the new stator in my hand and not able to get the old one off.

Great forum! Thanks folks.
Great news! Please take photos of the process to share with the forum. Is the performance stator the small diameter version? If so, I can imagine that it would rev to the moon, but it might be tough to start. Please let us know.