Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM   #1

Thumbs Up Chinabikes Soaring in Popularity

Anybody notice the sharp uptick in interest of chinabikes? It's refreshing to see them be praised on other websites rather than bashed so harshly. Saw a recent reddit post where someone was reviewing a KPX, it certainly had it's critics but many people chimed saying how their KPXs' had been bulletproof for thousands of miles. The prices appear to just keep getting better and better too.

The times are a changin' and things are looking up for chinabikes!
? Honda CRF100F
? Honda CRF70
Honda/Suzuki 50cc Kids Bikes

Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM   #2

It seems the stuff coming from China has gotten significantly better in the past few years. Combine that with less liquidity for most people and cheap bikes start to look more interesting. For me it was the absurd dealer "market adjustments" that got me to finally give these bikes a try. Sure glad I did.
GasGas TXT 125

Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikd View Post
It seems the stuff coming from China has gotten significantly better in the past few years. Combine that with less liquidity for most people and cheap bikes start to look more interesting. For me it was the absurd dealer "market adjustments" that got me to finally give these bikes a try. Sure glad I did.
Yeah, something has gotta give in the dealer world for sure. Nathan Milward has done a recent video on just how bad things are getting in dealership land, with new motorcycle sales being counted in single digits per dealership. Having had some of those "market adjustment" prices offered to me in the past I'm having a hard time finding sympathy. But yes, that is definitely a huge factor in chinabikes being a lot more appealing. I think everyone universally agrees that getting into motorcycling is a lot more expensive than it really should be and the chinabikes do just keep getting better and make more and more sense.

Nathan's video:
? Honda CRF100F
? Honda CRF70
Honda/Suzuki 50cc Kids Bikes

Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM   #4

They still have Achilles heels.
Like the Vader 125 needs lots of upgrades to run reliably.
The 150s (and 125s) have dash issues, frame rusting issues, cheap and bad plastics
The Lifan bikes run lean, especially at idle, and the fi system is throttle by wire.
CFMoto bikes have water inside of the frames...
All these bikes are hopelessly undergeared (I have to overgear by +25 to +50% or even more).
They also don't do as well on mpg as their Honda variants.
Some suffer from bad spot welds.
The sealed bearings are under greased (especially the wheels).

That being said, they're excellent for most people to learn to ride on. Will last on average the same as more expensive bikes in terms of how long most people want to keep them (meaning, I see lots of big brand bikes sold with less than 6k miles on them).

But if you do a lot of miles on a bigger bike (250cc and up), it may not be so clear what would be the better buy.