Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2022, 08:07 AM   #1

Bizarrere chain help situation

So me being very green to certain things like when chainging my front sproket on my 2021 magician. I had.never ever had to mess with a chain before other than adjusting the rear tire, anyways i thot it was a good idea to cut my stock chain off with my grinder, being lazy and knowing i had ordered a new chain anyways. Here is where it fets weird, the stock chain had no way of fitting the 17th sprocket (stock chain was perfcet tightness, mayb and inch or two of slack. Sproclet install went fine, had to trim the cover so no rubbing but the new chain I ordered was too small. Since i cut off the old chain i had to use a chain breaker to take lile 4 links out tht were damagdd from the cut. I got the idea to just check and see if the old (CUT) Chain would fit to see how many more links the new chain id have to order would be. Too my suprise, the stock chain now fits completely and is actually TOO long now, i havwmto adjust the back tire all the way back and i still dont know if.it will take out all the slack. I know new chains stretch but this is thestock one and i cant imagine how.it grww especially with missing links, fits the bigger sprocket and is still too lose
!
Like i said first time messing with a chain. Is there something im missong. Are chains reusuable? How does the stock chain fit with the 17t sprocket now especially after taking out 4 links and yet it still too long? Some david blaine shiz goin on here!

Last edited by CGcloner229; 08-14-2022 at 11:06 AM.

Old 08-14-2022, 10:30 PM   #2

It sounds like you're losing it man. If you removed 4 links from the original chain but it grew in length... I don't know what to tell you.

Just get another chain that fits, they're cheap enough.

Old 08-15-2022, 06:33 AM   #3

I know blows my mind too! Felt like i did something worng. Already bought 2 wrong sizes i thot would b plenty. Since i cant add links with a chain breaker. Whats weird is that i canot pull the chain tights. ( lik barley long enougj to slide in the.master and connect and yet theres still a lottle too slack. I woll.b adjustong the rear tire back.and see if tht helps
.still confused tohow it grew. Are chains np good after you tale thm out?

Old 08-15-2022, 11:21 AM   #4

Sounds like a mismatch of chain types for the chain and sprocket.

In the sprocket should be a stamping of numbers Something like 428 or 520. What is on yours.

What style of chain do you have.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124