Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2020, 07:31 PM   #1

New Hawk 250 Idle Screw Adjustment?

Hey guys, I took my newly assembled Hawk for a first ride today and it would just not idle by itself for more than a few seconds but if I held the throttle it seemed to idle at slightly higher RPMs. I looked for the idle screw and it looks like it requires a special tool? Sorry, my primary bike is fuel injected so this is new to me. I attached a picture.

https://imgur.com/a/CtIc15W

Old 05-01-2020, 08:33 PM   #2

That's really annoying.. why would they use a TORX screw with a pin here?

Old 05-01-2020, 08:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKP View Post
That's really annoying.. why would they use a TORX screw with a pin here?
That does NOT look like the idle adjustment screw at all! Haha ive seen multiple hawks , apollos, bashan storms and the idle screw is almost always a small flathead screwdriver. The idle screen usually has a spring wrapped around it as well. That literally looks like someone rigged a screw in the idle adjustment hole . That's interesting for sure ...only way to find out is turn it while the bike is running and see if it changes the idle I guess.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:57 PM   #4

I just got mine together and ran into the same issue. It's a security Torx but I was able to turn mine by hand and also used a small needle nose. Turned mine all the way in just to get it to run on half choke. Won't run with it off.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:07 PM   #5

Wow that's so weird that they have a security torx there now. I feel like it should always be something easy to navigate reach and turn. There we have it though idle screw it is.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:31 PM   #6

Captain, did you get yours to idle? Mine wouldn't and only had maybe a full turn until it seated. Still won't idle without half choke.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:41 PM   #7

I got mine to idle with a flat head and a good bit of turn with NO choke on which was cool. However, have a host of other issues I'm tackling now. I also ordered a carb with a new main jet as I see recommended all over this form.

Other issues (for those curious):

1. Clutch doesn't disengage all the way (I switch into 1st and release just the break it moves forward)
2. Brake light doesnt work (both rear and front - all the other lights do thankfully)
3. Fuel gauge not working (I put around a gallon in so maybe it will fix itself when I fill up)
4. Valves are noisy! Going to set all the valve lash tomorrow because it is noisy
5. Cables are sticking a little bit I think (if I give it a ton of throttle the RPMs stay too high for too long after I've backed off). So going to lube them.
6. Throttle play is way too much - should be a quick adjustment Im hoping

Edit:just wanted to confirm to BuffaloChinaRider that there is actually a spring around this torx screw & it is definitely the idle screw. So bizarre.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:57 PM   #8

Sounds like you guys got lemons for sure! All the broken stuff on there right out of the box! We will help you guys get them running smooth

Old 05-01-2020, 10:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloChinaRider View Post
Sounds like you guys got lemons for sure! All the broken stuff on there right out of the box! We will help you guys get them running smooth
Hope you're ready for all the questions, lol. Appreciate it.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKP View Post
Hope you're ready for all the questions, lol. Appreciate it.
Guys on here helped me a lot with certain things as well! Nice community here and there is never silly questions. I'm not a mechanic but we all figure things out as we go while asking questions lol some people get their bikes running great right out the crate with no issues or broken things and some people arent so lucky. All these bikes takes a little extra to have running good though

Old 05-02-2020, 02:39 AM   #11

They just keep stacking on reasons to buy a new carb every year.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-02-2020, 12:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
They just keep stacking on reasons to buy a new carb every year.
Why do you think they do that dan..or anybody else? Do you think they legitimately do not want customers tuning,fixing or messing with anything at all? Or do you think they are trying to cut costs any way they can??

Old 05-02-2020, 01:05 PM   #13

I'm guessing that they are parts they could actually source and have in stock. Maybe these specific carbs were intended for a different vehicle that they tuned in and didn't want people messing with

Old 05-02-2020, 01:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloChinaRider View Post
Why do you think they do that dan..or anybody else? Do you think they legitimately do not want customers tuning,fixing or messing with anything at all? Or do you think they are trying to cut costs any way they can??
It is likely a combination of things. EPA requirements to keep them legal during importation is why they come with tamper proof screws and caps over the adjustments. You see the same thing with small engines too like the fueling adjustments on the little 2 stroke carbs on a weed trimmer that are either capped or require a special tool to adjust.

Personally, I wouldn't let it bother me too much. I would use it as an excuse to upgrade to a PZ30B (pumper carb).
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-02-2020, 01:57 PM   #15

Ahh yeah that makes perfect sense then. Dan has the right idea about that carb. A lot of us upgraded to a better carb even if we aren't really having problems with the stock one! I don't regret swapping my carb and getting at all. Changed my spark plug too.