Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Today, 11:18 AM   #1

Help in choosing new bike

Hello fellow riders,

I have a bunch of questions about choosing the right bike. So far I have it narrowed down to the Templar bikes but of the three models base, m, and X I’m am still weighing the pros and cons.

First let me give some background about me and outline what I think I am looking for. I am essentially new to motorcycles. A couple years ago I bought a 2016 Ktm 690 enduro R. My idea at the time was that I’d be doing BDR type rides and moto camping . I had visions of long distance expeditions all over the world. In reality though I have two young kids and hardly the time to take a weekend trip much less a Rtw excursion. The other issue is that I didn’t/don’t know how to ride a motorcycle. I quickly realized that my 690 is way to much bike for me to learn to ride on. I made the rookie mistake of buying a bigger bike than I was ready for. Now I am in the market for a smaller more dirt oriented bike. My reasoning behind this is to learn the fundamentals of dirt riding and practice on a less expensive and lighter bike.

I am also looking at these bikes as a way to learn more about the mechanics behind them and to learn to work on the bike myself.

I’m 5’10” and about 190lbs

I was originally leaning towards the base Templar as it seems to be a bit smaller without being too cramped. I rode an xt225 and felt like it was to crowded. Like my knees and hands were too close together when seated and the bars way too low when standing. The base seems to be a middle between the XT 225 and the m/x models.

I’m not set on the smaller bike, but I think that coming from something that is too big for me has me somewhat apprehensive about the larger X/M models.

Other than size I really like the idea of having a kickstart and it seems that the 5 speed is a really good engine and is geared better for dirt (this is what I gathered from reading reviews) I am not very worried about going 60mph plus on the bike. If the road manners are all that bad then I can just put it in my pick up for the further ohv’s in my area. I understand that the M does not have as good of suspension as the X, but from what I gather the bikes are built on the same frame and only the rear suspension and motor are different (is that correct) if that is the case then is it possible to directly swap the rear suspension from the X to the M?

Old Today, 12:42 PM   #2

Just buy the X... my 2 cents. The suspension upgrades alone are worth the price difference. Being adjustable makes a huge difference in how the bike rides and handles. 6 speeds are nice to have, and the lack of a kickstarter doesn't bother me a bit, as I can still push start it. Fwiw...I am about the same size as you, and I can flat foot my X at stock preload on the rear suspension. It seems high at first, but it settles nicely once in the saddle.