Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2017, 08:43 PM   #1

Complete newb - Hawk250 - Texas Hill Country

Hey y'all,

I am completely new to motorcycles. I completed my MSF course two weeks ago. I also bought a Hawk 250 which I ordered to be assembled before delivery. I have an intense curiosity in learning about this bike and how to work on it. I've watched just about all of motocheez's videos and to be honest that's what sold me on it. It satisfied every requisite that I had for my first bike.

I definitely need to retune the carb. It takes a bit to start and idles all over the place until it is warmed up.

A couple of molts were missing on the bike when it was delivered. Can anybody. Recommend a source for getting extra bolts?

Also looks like one of the leads to the horn fell off. Any ideas what the female plug is called on the end of that lead?

And last I'm in the Texas hill country and I'm just itching to get this bike all tuned up to ride it out on the roads. Anybody else from around the area?

Old 06-26-2017, 09:18 PM   #2

Welcome aboard TW....we need pics! If you will post which bolts and nuts in particular are missing these guys will help you out with sizing...as far as where to get them any good hardware store should carry a good selection. The wire connector is probably a simple female slip on...take pics of your missing items and post them....otherwise.. Good job of completing the class and congratulations on the Hawk

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-27-2017, 12:54 AM   #3

Welcome!

Welcome to the forum! I get most of my bolts from Home Depot, Lowe's or Ace Hardware. I have been getting stainless steel bolts. Post some pictures. We like to see motorcycles! Who did you purchase your Hawk from?

Have a great day!
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...
-2003 HD Sportster 100th Anniversary
-1999 Buell X-1 Lightning - Race kit, Buell Seat

Old 06-28-2017, 03:58 AM   #4

Welcome! Even though somebody else assembled it, take the time to go over the bike yourself. Remove many of the critical fasteners (brake parts, rear shock bolts, for example) and use some blue Loctite 242 or 243(higher temp). Buy yourself a spoke wrench kit and tighten up those spokes, and make it a habit to check those spokes at least once a week if you are going to ride it semi-regularly.

Also, check your rear sprocket. Some of these bikes are being delivered with loose sprockets - mainly from sprocket studs that are a tad too small for the bushings. I have a thread here: http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=19265

In regards to your hard starting issue. The carbs do come rather poorly tuned, but they also come with zero valve lash. The Honda factory specs for the engine these clones are based on use a .003 valve lash clearance with a + or - .001. I run mine at .003 in. .004 ex. Many run .003 on both. You can go as small as .002 if you want to. No matter what you do, set them, and after you run the engine for about 100-200 miles, check the lash again. As the motor runs the valves will seat, the stems will stretch, and the gap will actually shrink a bit. I set mine before my first run and did a second oil change at 100 miles and had to slightly adjust them again. They were still technically within spec, but I am obsessive...
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-28-2017, 12:32 PM   #5

Welcome, TW!

It's a lot easier to just swap the carb for a Mikuni, like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIKUNI-30mm-...FZIE9E&vxp=mtr
You'll have a much easier time finding jets for a Mikuni and the jet needle has grooves that allow you to tune the midrange.
X2 on applying Loctite 242 on all fasteners yourself; that's an excellent way to get to know your bike and you'll be confident that everything is done properly.
I buy stainless socket head cap screw from the local bearing shop and I keep a good assortment on hand. That allows me to manage most of the fasteners on my bike with an Allen wrench.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-01-2017, 10:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasWelder View Post
Hey y'all,

I am completely new to motorcycles. I completed my MSF course two weeks ago. I also bought a Hawk 250 which I ordered to be assembled before delivery. I have an intense curiosity in learning about this bike and how to work on it. I've watched just about all of motocheez's videos and to be honest that's what sold me on it. It satisfied every requisite that I had for my first bike.

I definitely need to retune the carb. It takes a bit to start and idles all over the place until it is warmed up.

A couple of molts were missing on the bike when it was delivered. Can anybody. Recommend a source for getting extra bolts?

Also looks like one of the leads to the horn fell off. Any ideas what the female plug is called on the end of that lead?

And last I'm in the Texas hill country and I'm just itching to get this bike all tuned up to ride it out on the roads. Anybody else from around the area?

Congrats on the new bike! Im also new to motorcycle and not mechanically inclined what so ever. Received mines 2 weeks ago, took my time building it up and now I'm waiting for the registration papers. My chain is still to tight and I have to check that rear sprocket as megadan recommended.

I'm in Austin (just moved here a month ago) so if you know of any trails, let me know have fun and be safe.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:13 PM   #7

You guys are so lucky. Your going to find plenty of enchanting country roads and cool places to see this fall if it ever cools off. Take plenty of shop time in these hot summer months to make those bikes reailable so you can see texas .!
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-02-2017, 09:48 PM   #8

registration

did you have any problems registering your hawk in TX?