Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2024, 12:22 AM   #1

2015 hawk vs 2024 Honda crf300L

I know what you are thinking... Geez not even close... New Honda vs Older Hawk.. I know the answer. Let me tell you my impressions. The hawk cost me about $1000 plus about $300 In upgrades, and the Honda was about $6,800. I had my brother in law riding the Hawk and i was on the Honda. We were on an easy trail in NH and while the Honda is clearly the better built bike the Hawk performed amazing well. In my opinion the Hawk was easier to ride and more comfortable on the trail. The Honda's throttle response was actually too snappy. When trying to maintain a constant slow speed the slightest throttle input made it jerky. Also the seat on the Honda is akin to a covered 2x4.

Don't get me wrong, the Honda is amazing and bulletproof, but I have a soft spot for my little China bike. Dollar for dollar the Hawk is the best deal out there.

Hawks wins:
The seat/comfort
The price
The throttle modulation
Kick starter
Not so freaked out about dropping it

Honda's wins:
Fuel injection
Tightness
Power
Quality build
Suspension when riding hard.

If you have both LMK your thoughts

-Tony

Old 07-07-2024, 11:55 AM   #2

I agree with all of your Hawk "wins" but one; "seat/comfort". Maybe in comparison to the Honda, which I could never afford, it actually IS comfortable. I'll be changing mine out for the TT250 seat.

Ever have any problems with the crappy welds on your Hawk? I just plugged a gas leak that developed around the weld on the tank that attaches the piece of threaded pipe that the petcock attaches to. I have a feeling it is areas like these where the Hawk fails miserably.

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 07-07-2024, 06:05 PM   #3

My Hawks welds are sticking together just fine. The welder must have had a good day when mine was built. One other hawk win is the heat off the bike. The Honda's radiator cooks my right leg. It was in the 90s when we were riding so I bet when it is 50 degrees I will love that feature.

Old 07-07-2024, 06:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
My Hawks welds are sticking together just fine. The welder must have had a good day when mine was built. One other hawk win is the heat off the bike. The Honda's radiator cooks my right leg. It was in the 90s when we were riding so I bet when it is 50 degrees I will love that feature.
These fuel injected bikes are made to run so lean they're running on the edge of breakdown. It's not good for the oil.
If only a manifold existed that allowed one to put a jet in, and inject extra fuel in the system.
At best, you could put the fuel tank evaporator hose on the air intake, so some of the fumes will be from the tank. Enriching the mixture at least somewhat.

Old 07-07-2024, 07:34 PM   #5

with modern vehicle production most welds are done by robots now, not by skilled sweat off the brow men in overalls...the robots are made in china. So not matter how many times you try and skin the cat it all goes back to the same street...

Its the metallurgy and material quality now that's the real issue.