Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #1

Bike/ATV stand

Hi Guys!

Just wanted to say that if you ever see a bike/atv stand on sale at Canadian Tire or something, snap it up! Handiest tool ever for working on ATV's and bikes. I bought mine a couple of years ago for lubing the chain on my street bike. Bike was kind of heavy and wobbly so it always scared the crap out of me, but it works fantastic for the ATV's! Put together both quads with it and it makes working on them a pleasure. Think I got it for $80 on sale when I bought it, regular price of $150. You can even pick up the quad and roll it into a tight corner for storage with its casters. Good stuff. Whats your favorite shop tool?

Regards,
Stew

Old 10-28-2009, 08:37 PM   #2

Re: Bike/ATV stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Whats your favorite shop tool?

Regards,
Stew
That's i tough one, so i'll have to go with the most used tool in the shop.........the beer fridge !

Actually my favorites are the TIG welder, plasma cutter and my 48" vinyl cutter/plotter.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #3

Hey! You gots all the cool tools! I'm jealous now

Regards,
Stew

Old 10-28-2009, 08:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Hey! You gots all the cool tools! I'm jealous now

Regards,
Stew
Well me and my friend used to build microsprint race cars/karts, we built about 40 of them out of the shop in his backyard so over time we've aquired lots of nice shop tools, last i checked we have 2 MIG welders and one aluminum MIG welder, a good ole ARC welder, a TIG welder, plasma cutter, lathe and mill, sheet metal brake and all the other hand tools to fabricate stuff. I used to work at a sign shop so when they were going to sell the vinyl cutter i decided to buy it, it comes in handy for cutting race car lettering and i also do a few truck/van lettering jobs a year, now i just need to sit at the computer and come up with some sweet graphics for my beast.

Here's a few pics of the last car i designed and built 2 years ago for a friend of mine http://microsprint9.angelfire.com/microsprint_pics/

Old 10-28-2009, 10:04 PM   #5

The aluminum bike stand is on sale at Princess right now for $50.00

I bought one a couple of years ago and use it a lot.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-28-2009, 10:50 PM   #6

Re: Bike/ATV stand

Quote:
Whats your favorite shop tool?

Regards,
Stew

Old 10-28-2009, 10:58 PM   #7

Bright lights and glasses? Hmmm, is that because of our age or promoting safety glasses?

Regards,
Stew

Old 10-28-2009, 11:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Bright lights and glasses? Hmmm, is that because of our age or promoting safety glasses?

Regards,
Stew
Age + type 2.

If I have the lights and glasses, I can find everything else I need (including the beer fridge), although scent works for me there...

EDIT: I'm going to invent and market an inexpensive magnetic roll up sheet, say 48" x 48"....every little damn screw, connector, fitting, etc will then "stick" to the floor and not roll under something, never to be found again.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:36 PM   #9

Indeed, the beer fridge is an important one! I found the carb swap to be not quite a full beer upgrade... The actual quad assembly was 2 to 2 and a half beers. Good thing it didn't take longer or the wheels would have been hanging off the handlebars . Cool stand W&G, that is the type you lift the back end onto right? Heck, been so long since I have been to Princess Auto! Cool racers too Wayne... How fast did they go with a snowmobile engine? I'm guessing that they really zipped! I am envious of your tool collection!

Regards,
Stew

Old 10-28-2009, 11:36 PM   #10

Plasma cutters, lathes, welders?? Good grief!!

I can't compete.

I just like my Snap-On Ratcheting screwdriver. 8)

Old 10-28-2009, 11:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
I just like my Snap-On Ratcheting screwdriver. 8)
PN SSOMA4B

Me too.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:36 AM   #12

Hey stew, the cars run either a 440cc or a 570cc fan cooled snowmobile engine depending on their weight, things were good when there was two local tracks running, but when the one shut down everyone stopped buying cars and that kinda killed the racing for me, i used to be able to build a car, race all year and have it sold buy the time the snow was on the ground, so i used to race for free, i kinda miss it.
The cars reach about 60mph, we run a 1/8 mile dirt track and with 22 cars starting a feature it pretty fun and exciting racing and things happen quick.
After racing i started with RC planes, it's my new 2 stroke hobby and cheaper than racing, well til you get addicted, i now have about 12 planes.

Here's my last build with some 1" blue styrofoam, a bit of wood and some RC gear and paint http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/10FootB22-wmv

I'm liking this ATV'n thing now, i'm happy i found gio as i have finally found a way to have an ex-wife and some toys for me at the same time, thanks gio.

OK, over and out, back to favorite tools boys.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:25 PM   #13

Cool plane! The carts sound like a hoot, never seen em before. Oh, and can identify with the ex thing, I'm in the same boat. I have my son full time and the quads are an attempt to get us both out for some fresh air... So far works good, but can't wait till next summer!

Regards,
Stew

Old 10-30-2009, 07:42 PM   #14

Oh! I almost forgot, the other handiest tool I have is not really one tool. It's one of those combination socket sets I got for Xmas one year. I think its from Canadian Tire, but it has all the common metric and standard socket sizes as well as socket allen wrenches. Can do most anything with just the one kit. Handy dandy!
(Plus since I keep 'em together, I knows where they are. Not like my toolbox....)

Stew

Old 11-12-2009, 08:54 PM   #15

Newest tool I can use. We now have it at work and I'm playing with it. Lets just say I helped to convince someone we needed it

Its the 875 with a PT32 head on it. Cuts 7/8" and chops (severs the manual says) 1 1/4". Not sure if it will do that with only 220 going into it, but we have up to 660 or something here.

EDIT: Looks like we're putting 550 to it.