Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #1

only .5 Liter in the Gio 110cc

Hello, I changed the oil before i start the Engine for the fist time in the Gio 110cc.
I wasn't able to remove the drain plug underneat the quad because there was a cross member and a bolt that was preventing me to remove it.
So i just flip the quad on the side, and i drained the oil through the oil gauge hole.
I then filled the Engine with 10w40 and it was full with 1/2 liter. Is this making sence?????

There was no oil in the engine when i received it......I am gald that i didn't start it before checking the oil!!!!!

Oh before flipping it on the side, i removed the spring bolt beside the drain plug. No oil came???? In the future can i drain the oil through the spring bolt?

Old 08-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #2

You could, but I wouldn't. What you found was the cam chain tensioner, and I'm not sure that it's the lowest point. Is there anything you can do to modify the frame for drain plug clearance?

Also, how are you measuring the oil in the engine? The best way is to simply rest the dipstick in the hole; don't screw it in to take a reading.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #3

In the manual, it say we have to screw in the dipstick to read the oil level

Old 08-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind

Also, how are you measuring the oil in the engine? The best way is to simply rest the dipstick in the hole; don't screw it in to take a reading.
I don't disagree with you much, D, but I do on this point. I've always been of mind to screw them in to get the proper reading. I think we had a long forum post on this topic when I first joined chinariders. I really don't know who's right here, but I wouldn't rest the dipstick at the lip when checking oil on a car either.

As for your issue on the quad, it's the one really irritating thing about the Mini ATV design that you need to remove that bottom frame cross mount/foot peg to properly change the oil.

Not enough oil will come out of the cam spring tensioner plug to properly drain it, and you'll be shocked when you think it's empty how much oil will come out the proper drain plug with that bar removed.

I think the 110cc hold .8-.9 litres of oil, so while you think you didn't have any oil in the motor, there was probably still some swishing around the bottom of the case that just can't come out the filler hole no matter how much dumping you do.

My recommendation is to take the time to remove the bar, drain the oil properly, and fill it back up with fresh oil. It is a bit of a prick of a job putting it back on with the vibration washers there, but it can be done by one person as I can attest.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #5

I could be wrong, but I believe the xr70 honda manual says to turn it in.

It has been a few months since I read that.

Allen

Old 08-03-2010, 07:44 PM   #6

I don't trust the Chinese manuals, but I would trust an XR manual. Every bike I've owned has directed me to rest the dipstick on the hole and not screw it in.

You fine gentlemen will do what you think is best.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-03-2010, 07:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I don't trust the Chinese manuals, but I would trust an XR manual. Every bike I've owned has directed me to rest the dipstick on the hole and not screw it in.

You fine gentlemen will do what you think is best.
I still love ya even though we don't agree here.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #8

It may have been to rest it on the threads. Just can't remember right now.

I have always threaded it in.

Allen

Old 08-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #9

Lol, just to stir the pot, every Honda I have ever had (including my lawnmower) plus our John Deere Gator utility vehicles at work say to rest the dipstick on the threads and "do not screw it in"
My pleasure to stir up a controversy

Old 08-03-2010, 11:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Lol, just to stir the pot, every Honda I have ever had (including my lawnmower) plus our John Deere Gator utility vehicles at work say to rest the dipstick on the threads and "do not screw it in"
My pleasure to stir up a controversy
Screw you, Stew!

Old 08-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #11

I can't locate my beast manual at the moment, but i thought it said to screw it in, yet when using the sight glass ( which i trust ) to do the oil level it ends up working out the same as not screwing it in, maybe screw it in 1/2 way and you'll be close either way.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:17 PM   #12

Heh heh heh... Drum roll folks! I dug up my Beast manual with all of it's fancy chinese translations and here is the skinny on the oil check... Word for word from the manual:

1. Start the engine and let it idle for a few minutes.
2. Stop the engine and put it on a level ground. (What is a level ground??)
3. After a few minutes, remove the oil filler cap/dipstick, wipe it clean, and reinsert the dipstick without screwing it in, remove the dipstick.
The oil level should be between the upper and lower level marks on the dipstick.

Quoted right out of the YL809 user manual which strangely still smells like rubber after a whole year away from the quad???

And always remember to "Loosen accelerator before shifting gears"

Old 08-03-2010, 11:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Heh heh heh... Drum roll folks! I dug up my Beast manual with all of it's fancy chinese translations and here is the skinny on the oil check... Word for word from the manual:

1. Start the engine and let it idle for a few minutes.
2. Stop the engine and put it on a level ground. (What is a level ground??)
3. After a few minutes, remove the oil filler cap/dipstick, wipe it clean, and reinsert the dipstick without screwing it in, remove the dipstick.
The oil level should be between the upper and lower level marks on the dipstick.

Quoted right out of the YL809 user manual which strangely still smells like rubber after a whole year away from the quad???

And always remember to "Loosen accelerator before shifting gears"
Questions, Questions.. always questions!
1. What if it's out of oil and I let it idle for a few minutes before I can check the oil?
2. Do I need to attach a ground wire somewhere to level the ground?
3. How do I 'reinsert' if I cannot screw it in? It will not go in without screwing it in, or I'll break it.
4. Why does this book still smell like burnt tires?

I think we're probably splitting hairs with this thread anyways. How much oil would three large threads in depth amount to in something that size? .1 of a liter?

Old 08-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #14

Well, the beast is a vertical engine, my sons 50cc mini atv is a horizontal engine and the manual reads "screwed in", hmmmm, but i know i used almost a litre on my 110cc T1 and the 50cc.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:33 PM   #15

Hmmm.... Screwed in, not screwed in... I smell a conspiracy!! The chinese are trying to confuse us in their bid for world domination! Won't work with me... I'm wise to their wily ways. I need a drink! And why the heck does the manual still smell like rubber a year later? No doubt a hallucinogenic drug to make us all buy more GIO's!

P.S. Wayne, the decals look awesome! Top notch

Stew suffers from scanner envy... I had to type mine!