Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #1

Gio 49cc F2/M3 pocket bike

Just wondering if this is what the ignition coil is supposed to look like? The metal spring was wrapped around the spark plug when I removed it. This is a brand new pocket bike I just bought for my son and I am trying to figure out why it wouldn't start. I could hear the pop sound when pulling the starter cord. I did not see a spark when I held the spark plug up against the fins. I have a replacement ignition coil on it's way but the pictures that I have seen do not look anything like what I currently have. Anyone know?

Old 12-18-2012, 07:31 AM   #2

2 strokes are a pain

First check the kill switch. They are notorious for bad connections or not being connected at all. You can pull for days and nothing will happen.

Coil should not look like that. That spring should be down inside of the cover connected to that tiny bit of copper you see in the picture.

If you replace the coil... and kill switch is working...and its getting spark to the plug... Check to make sure the gas is making its way through the carb. Try hitting lowes or Home depot to pick up some of the new engineered fuel. It wont break down and gum up the carb like "home made mixed gas" will. It is made for 2 strokes. They have 2 formulas 1:40, and 1:50 ratios. I love the stuff. Its a bit more than regular gas... but its great for ensuring the bike starts easily. I usually refill the tank with it... and when my sons riding all day I just use my own mixed stuff to refill while hes riding.

So replace coil. Check kill switch, make sure your getting spark. Check to see if gas is going through carb. Choke it, and keep pulling!

I have owned about 12 of bike sand pocket quads with the same engine you got there. Some start easier than others, all take a few pulls!

Good luck