Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #1

Emmisions equipment removel w/pics. UPDATED w/ cat removal.

Hello Everybody,

I'm back with another project, again on a 07 Shineray Allroad 200cc. This time I will be removing all the emmisions stuff from this bike. There is no requirement for emmisions where I live so there is no need for this stuff on my scoot. Might wanna check in your area before doing this to yours.

Stuff to be removed;

Stuff that needed to be pluged off included this one on the carb inlet manifold;

and this one on the cylinder

These were done like so,

Same routine with the one on the cylinder, used a small lag screw and some silicone as well, painted silver to match.

There was a hose going from the cranckcase to the emmisions doohiky, removed it and using one of the longer pieces with a nice prebent 90 degree routed it down and through the swingarm towards the ground;

All the stuff I pulled off;

Hope this helps anyone wanting to do this, saw no difference in idle and doubt it will effect anything.

OK Everybody,

After rereading this thread and seeing the mention of the lump and the possibility of a cat in the header pipe I just couldn't help myself. Here are some more pics and the results of my find.

The header pipe unmolested;

Holy crap Batman!!

It's coming out it just don't know it yet;

It wants to fight me but its gonna lose;

I WIN!!! HAHAHAHAHA

It took about five minutes with the drill press, going really slow, the stuff doesn't drill out it kinda compacts. It finally just caught and spun out. As soon as it stops SNOWING here I will install on bike #1 and see what the difference is if any. The cat make a hell of a restriction though so there might be a little gain. I won't bore you with all the welding pics, cheap ass thin steel is all I will say.

Wolf

Old 04-06-2008, 09:58 PM   #2

Careful with silicone in or around fuel or fuel vapors. It will turn to a goeey mess, and get into the carb and intake. You might want to think about going to the Autoparts store and buy a .99 vacuum plug.

I doubt you will see any inprovement with it, minus the weight. This is a simple AIR injection system. When the throttle is closed, high vacuum over 20" will pull the AIR valve open, allowing fresh air into the exhaust.

You might notice popping out the exhaust now, as you will likely have high HC in the exhaust.

I am no enviro-hippie, just an ASE Master Tech who once apon a time did emission testing in CA.. I pulled the emissions crap off mine, but used a vacuum plug, and CNC'd a plate to cover the hole where the old tube was.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc-mustang
Careful with silicone in or around fuel or fuel vapors. It will turn to a goeey mess, and get into the carb and intake. You might want to think about going to the Autoparts store and buy a .99 vacuum plug.

I doubt you will see any inprovement with it, minus the weight. This is a simple AIR injection system. When the throttle is closed, high vacuum over 20" will pull the AIR valve open, allowing fresh air into the exhaust.

You might notice popping out the exhaust now, as you will likely have high HC in the exhaust.

I am no enviro-hippie, just an ASE Master Tech who once apon a time did emission testing in CA.. I pulled the emissions crap off mine, but used a vacuum plug, and CNC'd a plate to cover the hole where the old tube was.

USMC-mustang,

Thanks for the heads up on the silicon,, I just wanted a good seal and this is what I had laying around,. will try to find a vacuum plug tomorrow. As for the other side, I don't have access to a CNC machine and couldn't find a piece of steel that was the right thickness in the shop, found a piece at a friends though and gonna redo it right tomorrow.

You said,

" You might notice popping out the exhaust now, as you will likely have high HC in the exhaust."

What is the HC you are referring to??

Thanks again for the heads up,

Wolf

Old 04-06-2008, 10:46 PM   #4

HC is hydrocarbons, or unburnt fuel. With unburnt fuel in the muffler, you are likely to get a backfire in the muffler. AKA a popping sound. This is more common in an engine that runs lean rather than rich, as it has a tendency to miss on cylinder firing. A muffler that is straight through and not baffled also has a less likelyhood of "popping".

You dont need a CNC machine, infact I dont have one, but I do have a friend with one. a piece of 1/8" x 3/4" plate steel will work perfect. Just it to the same length as the original valve, and use a bench or angle grinder to round the corners off. Drill holes, and you are done.

Dont try to weld the original unit. It is some funky chinese pot metal, and even with my TIG welder, it began to melt it. I tried it with my MAPP gas torch, and it finished it off to a goo of the finest chinese metal..

Old 04-06-2008, 10:52 PM   #5

USMC-mustang,

I got ya on the HC question. Was gonna do that exact thing the piece of steel I picked up tonight. Wouldn't even think about welding this stuff the Chinese call "steel". Thanks all the input, great help on the project.

Wolf

Old 04-06-2008, 11:01 PM   #6

Just noticed yours comes out the side. This must be some change between manufatures, as mine came out the top of thead next to the exhaust port.

Everything is the same, but it looks like yours is Steel rather than whatever mine was made of.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:07 PM   #7

USMC-mustang,

It wasn't steel, took maybe 2 seconds to go through with my little cutoff tool. I think if I hit with a torch it would melt in seconds. As you put it soooo well, "it finished it off to a goo of the finest chinese metal" HAHAHAHA it makes me laugh every time.

Wolf

Old 04-07-2008, 05:57 AM   #8

Oh I'm so glad our bikes didnt have all that junk on them.
(nice pics)

I gotta ask :
What is that lump in the exhaust header pipe ???
(dont tell me it's a catalitic convertor of some sort )

Old 04-07-2008, 08:54 AM   #9

You may want to link this in the DS official prep thread for all the guys that want to do this when they are assembling. Just a thought.

Jason
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 04-07-2008, 10:13 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to PorterzCustomz
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCheap
Oh I'm so glad our bikes didnt have all that junk on them.
(nice pics)

I gotta ask :
Yea that sucks that it comes with all that garbage.

I don't think it's a cat, at least I hope its not. Maybe he welded it in for more flow, it is slightly bigger piece of pipe lol

I wounder what program he uses to get the cute little arrows

Old 04-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCheap
I gotta ask :
For those who dont know, yes, that is a Cat. Also note, that you will need to replace the Headpipe and muffler to eliminate it. This is how i went about it in my Viva. As i recall, it isnt a regular style monocathylitic Converter, but rather a heavy platinum.

I did a little research into it, but it was a bass ackwards emissions set up. Shouldnt have been supprised when I say the AIR injection setup.

Know for us who have been to China, now understand why you cant see Bejing Airport when you come in for a landing.. Smog up to 20k ' elevation.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #12

Oh it's true then I feared thats what that lump was but didnt want to accept it but I have been seeing more and more of them on all sorts of motorized things.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:12 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to PorterzCustomz
A CAT!!!????

I never thought id see a day when they used cats on dirtbikes. If I were him when he did his exhaust mods I would have gutted it.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterzCustomz
A CAT!!!????

I never thought id see a day when they used cats on dirtbikes. If I were him when he did his exhaust mods I would have gutted it.
Good luck. Impossible would be putting it lightly. Unlike your typical "honeycomb" cat, this is platinum, and other heavy metals. You will bend whatever it is you try to beat it out with, no to mention a plugged exhaust. You are best off with replacing the headpipe and muffler with a non cat unit.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc-mustang

USMC-mustang,

Thanks for the heads up on the silicon,, I just wanted a good seal and this is what I had laying around,. will try to find a vacuum plug tomorrow. As for the other side, I don't have access to a CNC machine and couldn't find a piece of steel that was the right thickness in the shop, found a piece at a friends though and gonna redo it right tomorrow.

You said,

" You might notice popping out the exhaust now, as you will likely have high HC in the exhaust."

What is the HC you are referring to??

Thanks again for the heads up,

Wolf

Also blue silicone is for water applications like thermostat gaskets, Not reALLY meant for high heat applications.