Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 06:57 PM   #1

Lifan lf200 vs. Roketa db....

Hi guys, first post. I didn't see a seach button so don't flame me too bad if this has been beat to death already!
I've been looking at the Lifan lf200 gy5, a local dealer said I can have the one he has for $1800 out the door. Not too bad, but it's a bit more than I expected (it's a really nice bike for the money) and a bit more than I have in my budget. I have found a dealer in another state that has the roketa db 07, $995 plus $175 shipped to my door. Looking at pics of the Roketa, the only thing I can see that I don't like is the lack of a tachometer, but having never seen one in real life, I'm at a loss! So how does the Roketa compare to the Lifan? The company that has the Roketa warrents the engine only, but that's covered for 90 days.
Are the Roketas at least fairly reliable? How do they compare size wise, the Lifan is a really good fit for me. How about engine power? etc... and so on... If I go with the Roketa I'll be ordering one this Friday. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-29-2007, 07:32 PM   #2

Can't say much for the roketa, but the lifan is a nice bike and the service/support is better than most of the other bikes. $1800 seems a bit steep, but then you have the local dealer there for your parts and service. Also he is responsible for helping get the registration.

Size/power should be comparable.

The 2007 model lifan should have the OHC motor too.

Allen

Old 05-29-2007, 08:01 PM   #3

$1590 shipped on EBAY from T-Motorsports for a Lifan!

Old 05-29-2007, 08:18 PM   #4

TMS200GY-5

I picked up my 07 200GY-5 from T-Motorsports for $1390 for shipping and liftgate service

Old 05-29-2007, 08:25 PM   #5

I've been looking at T motorsports for some time now, heard some bad things about their service (as far as sending out replacement parts). I hate to admit it, but it has come down to price shopping for me (I quit my job so I can finish my biology degree). I want to get a bike that is no smaller than 200cc's ,has disk brakes at both ends and is reliable or easily fixed, I need a luggage rack too, secondary considerations are things like a tach and an adjustable rear suspension... It would probably be worth the extra money to get a Lifan from T, but if the Roketa is close in quality it makes sense to save some change and get the DB 07a. I still need to find out about getting a Tennessee title for the Roketa though....

Old 05-29-2007, 08:39 PM   #6

I would try to work a better deal on the local dealer lifan and go that route over the t-motorsports. The roketa owners here seemed to be happy with their bikes though.

Allen

Old 05-29-2007, 09:45 PM   #7

I purchased a Roketa back at the end of January, a DB-07A 2006 model, and am well pleased with it. It was $1029 delivered. After a careful, detailed, assembly and prep,......and a few extra things done,.....it has proven to be a really nice bike. Some of the extra things I did was to put on a heavy duty, moto-cross spec chain,....add an extra brace/support from the frame to the battery box outside strap,....put on a longer speedo cable from a Kawasaki 350 Bighorn,.....shortened the rear master cylinder push-rod, to prevent brake dragging/locking up,.....dropped needle clip one notch,....added a voltage LED indicator,....put on bigger mirrors,....added a fuel filter,....and thats about it. Last tank of fuel was at 85 MPG,...lowest figure, when new, was 75 MPG. I have the stock 17/46 sprocket combo,....it cruises at 55 to 60 quite nicely, would probably go 65 to 70 tops.
It has the OHC engine,...I cant imagine it could start or run any better than it does. Shifting is absolutely flawless, probably one of the best shifting bikes I've had over the past 40 yrs.
I use Honda GN10-40 oil......the same that I have used in all my bikes, and customers bikes, over the past several years.

This next statement will probably get lots of boos here,...but I used no locktite anywhere on the bike, and nothing has come loose. Every nut and bolt was checked, and if needed, torqued to specs......thats about it.
The bike had several rubber grommets that used no inner spacers, or shouldered bolts,....so these fasteners were tossed out for a better set-up.

The paperwork from XXX was nicely done, and breezed thru the DMV and insurance office.

Hope this info helps.
2019 Brozz 250

Old 05-29-2007, 09:53 PM   #8

Got a link to the voltage indicator? Allen

Old 05-29-2007, 10:15 PM   #9

Quote:
I want to get a bike that is no smaller than 200cc's ,has disk brakes at both ends and is reliable or easily fixed, I need a luggage rack too
Knothead, Just a reminder that the 07 Lifan has a drum rear brake. Also: You may consider the the GY-2. Seems to meet all your specs (disk brakes front and rear) and should be a bit cheaper. Just sold one today! Some have had to adj. the rear brake due to "drag" on the rotor, hince the 07's having drum. I myself have had no problem. Just my 2 pennies!

Previously owned / operated MOTO Xtreme selling American Lifan / Check out my friends at www.armattanquads.com

"Imagination is more important that knowledge" Albert Einstein

Old 05-30-2007, 12:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOXtreme
Quote:
I want to get a bike that is no smaller than 200cc's ,has disk brakes at both ends and is reliable or easily fixed, I need a luggage rack too
Knothead, Just a reminder that the 07 Lifan has a drum rear brake. Also: You may consider the the GY-2. Seems to meet all your specs (disk brakes front and rear) and should be a bit cheaper. Just sold one today! Some have had to adj. the rear brake due to "drag" on the rotor, hince the 07's having drum. I myself have had no problem. Just my 2 pennies!
I wasn't aware they went back to drums on the rear... that kinda sucks but it's not too big of an issue. (yes and no, I've been dumped off of several 70's era Honda CB's due to a poorly adjusted rear drum- surely in 2007 they are better! ) Not sure if it's against forum rules, but if you're selling and can make a decent price hit me up via private msg or e-mail. I'd like to stick with a Lifan if at all possible, the 07 would be nice as it has the counterbalanced engine (right?).

(BTW) the "dealer" I've been going to is not licensed as a dealer in Tennessee , their mechanic is CRAP (really, just on the bike i've been looking at there are at least 5 things wrong, from loose bolts to the exaust half hanging off). Hence I'm still shopping online.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:00 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to jkomp316
Lifan +1

T-Motorsports -1

American Lifan Dealer +1

Old 05-30-2007, 07:18 AM   #12

Allen..........Heres where I bought the voltage LED indicator:

http://www.customdynamics.com/LED_battery_gauge.htm

its a compact, waterproof, indicator, that shows battery state of charge, and of course, charge rate when running.
2019 Brozz 250

Old 05-30-2007, 09:01 AM   #13

7600 miles here on my DB-07A since (10/06). No real complaints.
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 05-30-2007, 10:07 AM   #14

My .02:

Buy from Brian at MOTOxtreme! I just did and without speaking to much, the deal I got exceeded all other American Lifan dealers I spoke with. And the best part is my busted up front wheel that got damaged during delivery....a new one is comming no questions asked..this is why I beleiove all should buy from a dealer and not an online seller that only warranty's parts for 30 days! JMO.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleway4
I purchased a Roketa back at the end of January, a DB-07A 2006 model, and am well pleased with it. It was $1029 delivered. After a careful, detailed, assembly and prep,......and a few extra things done,.....it has proven to be a really nice bike. Some of the extra things I did was to put on a heavy duty, moto-cross spec chain,....add an extra brace/support from the frame to the battery box outside strap,....put on a longer speedo cable from a Kawasaki 350 Bighorn,.....shortened the rear master cylinder push-rod, to prevent brake dragging/locking up,.....dropped needle clip one notch,....added a voltage LED indicator,....put on bigger mirrors,....added a fuel filter,....and thats about it. Last tank of fuel was at 85 MPG,...lowest figure, when new, was 75 MPG. I have the stock 17/46 sprocket combo,....it cruises at 55 to 60 quite nicely, would probably go 65 to 70 tops.
It has the OHC engine,...I cant imagine it could start or run any better than it does. Shifting is absolutely flawless, probably one of the best shifting bikes I've had over the past 40 yrs.
I use Honda GN10-40 oil......the same that I have used in all my bikes, and customers bikes, over the past several years.

This next statement will probably get lots of boos here,...but I used no locktite anywhere on the bike, and nothing has come loose. Every nut and bolt was checked, and if needed, torqued to specs......thats about it.
The bike had several rubber grommets that used no inner spacers, or shouldered bolts,....so these fasteners were tossed out for a better set-up.

The paperwork from XXX was nicely done, and breezed thru the DMV and insurance office.

Hope this info helps.
I bought my Roketa on eBay, but I agree with everything stated above. All good advice and all recemmended if you go with the Roketa.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!