Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2011, 01:13 PM   #1

The Great BSA Wait continues...

I just heard from the BSA restorer, Jim.

The head needed new valve guides, apparantly the exhaust side was in bad shape.

It just came back from the machinist a few days ago.

The lower end is together with new cases and crank. When I say 'new' I mean 40 year old but servicable...

Another week or two, and a big check...

I don't like Brit Bikes.

About as reliable as Chinabikes but harder to start and HUGELY more expensive to repair.

Cool though, but that only works when it's running.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #2

Hopefully you'll break even when you sell it. You were blessed by your buddy, and it would be great if repair costs don't eclipse the seliing price.

Any pics of the repair process? That shop is amazing.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #3

No pics. Maybe I'll stop by there next week and bring him a sandwich or something.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:57 AM   #4

Undoubtedly the "cool factor" is greatly diminished when the bikes are unreliable, and expensive to own. Also, if the bike fails while you are riding it, you need to consider the inconvenience, and safety risks involved. 8O I hope you can sell this bike, and get your repair costs returned to you, Doc. :roll:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #5

At least BSA didn't make their engines like Triumph with all the fasteners only internally accessible to the assembly lol. BSA's in good condition tend to really bring in good money. I even know of a guy who'd be interested...

Old 11-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #6

I'll let you all know when the bike is restored and up for sale.

A well done professional rebuild in an original bike should go for a decent price.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #7

The bike is almost done .

Rebuilt motor bead blasted and back in the frame. Electrics sorted. Electronic ignition installed. New chain and sprockets and higher gearing for on road use. Frame cleaned and repainted. All new gaskets and seals to (reduce) oil leakage. Two more seals should be in today or tomorrow and hopefully the bike will be ready to ride next week.

I've not added it all up yet but this is all going to come in in the neighborhood of $1,000 .

Old 11-17-2011, 08:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
The bike is almost done .

Rebuilt motor bead blasted and back in the frame. Electrics sorted. Electronic ignition installed. New chain and sprockets and higher gearing for on road use. Frame cleaned and repainted. All new gaskets and seals to (reduce) oil leakage. Two more seals should be in today or tomorrow and hopefully the bike will be ready to ride next week.

I've not added it all up yet but this is all going to come in in the neighborhood of $1,000 .
Egads! 8O I only spent $950 for my new, in-the-crate Zong! :roll:

I'm glad you're finally getting the bike back in your garage, Brother Bill. However, I hope you will forgive me if I suggest you sell it before it breaks once again.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #9

That's the plan, Brother Spud!

Although I may enjoy it a season...

I'll see how easy it starts with the new engine and electronic ignition.

On the bright side it should be worth about $3,000.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:05 PM   #10

For the amount of work being done I think it's a bargain at a grand! Maybe I'm just jaded by everything costing so much here in Canada but that seems like a good price to me... I vaguely remember the first service on my Shadow costing around $500 and I think all they did was change the oil and (maybe) check the valve clearances. Oh, and plus all the other stuff in the manual they say they check at the first service .

I like the idea of upgrading the ignition to electronic even though the purists would be against it. Points, much like dinosaurs had their day in the sun but I prefer the no maintenance of electronic ignition. I'll be curious to see how much better it starts as well, I bet it's a huge difference! 8)

Old 11-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #11

I'm going to echo Stew's sentiments. I think that the cash you'll have in that bike is still a bargain. Will you be able to present a points ignition to the new owner, in case he's a purist? AFAIK, everything else you did to that bike was mostly period-correct.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-18-2011, 01:03 PM   #12

The color that a prior owner painted it is not correct either. It's supposed to be yellow. I can understand repainting it but teal :x ? British Racing Green, or maybe black would have been nice. Teal not so much. It is a good quality paint job though so I see no need to respray it.

The rest of the bike is stock and original. It can easily be put back to points ignition if a person needed large bruises on his or her right posterior thigh.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #13

My $1,000 estimate includes all the parts and labor for a rebuilt engine including cases, crank, bearings, primary chain, stator, valves, piston rings, chain, sprockets with a higher gear ratio, bead blasting, polishing and painting of the frame. Also the electronic ignition and installation and God knows how many other little things.

Not such a bad deal, although it was a lot of money it's also a lot of work and time and unique expertise.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #14

http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/2713209524.html

I'll be following the sale of this bike for sure. Sounds almost identical to my bike. Mine should be worth about the same. His is the original colr, mine is not but other than that they are nearly identical.

If he gets $4,000 for it I'll be happy.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #15

After 4 months it is done and ready to be picked up. Jim says it starts second kick or better every time.

This is gonna cost me...