Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #1

its modification time

had a bit of a trawl through this forum and found out a few things which seem to be consitant problems so my intention is to make a few modifications before mot time
number 1.....i have removed the standard air box and fitted an aftermarket filter. this opens up a fair amount of room under the seat ready for

number 2.......relocating the battery. the stock box is, quite frankly, rubbish and already damaged so ill be modding/fitting a replacement made from a secondhand kawasaki one thats been sat in my shed for a while, and fitting it under the seat/left hand panel.

number 3.....changing the headlight and front indicators. the front headlight doesnt put out enough light for my likeing so ill be at the breakers tomorrow to find an alternative. i already have a set of aftermarket mounts and front indicators from an old project to use.

number 4.....rear light. i have a twin square item which ill be using which will allow me to shorten the back end alittle as well as raise the number plate up. ill be retaining the stock rear indicators but may have to relocate them to suit.

number 5.........waterproof and move the electrics. ive already had problems with wet elcectrics so the cdi, reg/rect ect will be relocated along with the battery and the stock fuse replaced with a blade type ,once done everything will be waterproofed as be as i can.

number 6... the seat. at present the seat on the bike is very 'flat' in profile so it will be replace with an earlier model seat which has a lower profile...looks better and lowers rider center of gravity the intension is to cover the replacement seat in leather to improve cover longevity.

number 7....the handle bars. the stock items are imho a bit high and a couple of inches to wide so ill be keeping an eye out at the breakers for a set of renthal type bars.

number 8...front brake system. well its abit 'punnie' really so a replacement master cylinder will be fitted. i have a few spares to chose from. the brake line will be replaced with a braided item and the caliper is in line for replacement too but i dont know which to chose as there are many differant types out there so any advice will be most welcome.

number 9...rear brake, swing arm etc. id like to replace the rear brake with a disc set up and intend on using manufacturor part from a later/bigger model but i dont know which one has items thatll fit. the swing arm, i have a spare, will be braced up (like track/race bikes) and have grease nipples fitted. a chain tensioner, r1 shock, ali chain guard are among intended mods too

number 10...body work/panels. definately gunna purchace a supermoto style front fender ,as for the rest of the plastics...not sure yet. the bash plate will be replace with a beefier ali item.

well there you go guys thats the plan so please feel free to advise on, rip apart or add to my list. all opinions are most definately welcome
ill be keeping a pictorial record
lee

Old 02-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #2

Sounds great! What's the bike? From your list I'm deducing a Lifanoid? I have a brand new in the bag Acerbis front light (halogen) and number plate and universal Acerbis front fender, new in the bag I'd sell for 1/2 what I paid for it if you cover the shipping is you're interested.

Bill

Old 02-18-2010, 05:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Sounds great! What's the bike? From your list I'm deducing a Lifanoid? I have a brand new in the bag Acerbis front light (halogen) and number plate and universal Acerbis front fender, new in the bag I'd sell for 1/2 what I paid for it if you cover the shipping is you're interested.

Bill
many thanks for the offer mate but i have very good local breakers and supplier shops and the mot is due begining of next month so not much time really. the bike i have is a bashan gy125 o5 plate i also have a por apache 125 08 plate (same bike by the look of it) which is unregistered and for spares.
lee

Old 02-18-2010, 05:57 PM   #4

The battery falling out is a common issue. Ditto the muffler. Another mod to consider is a grease fitting on the swingarm pivot.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
The battery falling out is a common issue. Ditto the muffler. Another mod to consider is a grease fitting on the swingarm pivot.
the grease nipple mod will be part of number 9 on the list. its someting ive done to previous bike with good results.
the muffler is something ive considered replacing with one off a race bike. ive noticed that some one on here has a stainless header pipe but i cant seem to find out where it came from. exhaust mods alway lead to me changing the fueling so id have to look into flatslides and gasflowing
lee

Old 02-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #6

If you're changing the indicators anyway, I'd recommend a switch to LED. They're cheap on eBay and they offer greater visibility.

The only guidance I can offer on the front brake is to choose a matched set. You don't want to have a mismatched master cylinder and caliper.

Cheers!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-18-2010, 11:04 PM   #7

I don't like LED signal lights on bikes because often they're not as bright in the daytime. I guess it's probably not the case with all of them, but in bright sunlight LED's become hard to see, even though they are much brighter then regular lights in darker conditions.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #8

i did toy with using led lights as they are indeed brighter in low light. it wouldnt be that difficult to do alittle fiddling about and make the best of both :wink:
got myself some new rethal style bars and a twin aprilia headlight complete with frame, wiring and bulbs today for 30 beer tokens so its gonna be a busy weekend
lee

Old 02-20-2010, 01:13 AM   #9

30 beer tokens? What kind of currency is that?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-20-2010, 04:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
30 beer tokens? What kind of currency is that?
the most important kind
it would equate to about 20$ US which can be a reasonable amout of beer
lee

Old 02-20-2010, 04:21 AM   #11

lets see some pictures!

Old 02-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #12

here you go
started out like this

renthal style bars, new grips and aprillia twin headlights fitted. it all needs tyding up and painting. ive fitted the indicators but have yet to take pics. next up the headlight will get a small ali wind deflecter and then on to the rear end

hope you like whats done so far
lee

Old 02-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #13

got the rear lights on

trimmed the rear fender down a bit and removed the luggage rack

lee

Old 02-23-2010, 09:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldh22
...ive noticed that some one on here has a stainless header pipe but i cant seem to find out where it came from...
Your bike looks great, Lee; you have done a very nice job with the modifications! Since I own a Yamaha clone, I utilized a Yamaha, XT225, stainless steel, exhaust header on my Zongshen 200GY-2. However, the XT225 exhaust header probably won't fit your motorcycle. :(

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #15

cheers spud, i did check out the 225 header but i think its abit big
heres some more pics of the progress

the battery box

the tzr250 speedo (changed the stock one because its in kph where as this one is in mph)

battery box and electrics all fitted under the seat

front mudguard
hope you like
lee