Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2010, 09:49 PM   #1

Gio Mini Beast Starting Problem

Hi eveyone new to the site.

I just bouight 4 new mini beasts, 3 started up fine and run great. The fourth on could not get started. Put a new spark plug in (NGK) still no luck not geting spark, it is cranking fine so I thought I would charge the battery. After the charge it started fine, untill it sits for a few hours or so and then nothing it cranks the starter when u press the button but no spark. I can jump start it with a booster box starts up with some hesitation but runs fine when its going. Do you think it could be the stator? Any help would be great!

Thanks

Old 01-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #2

Since you said it would run after a charge then it is possible the battery is bad, since you have 3 others i'd try swaping a battery first to rule that out.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:49 PM   #3

I did put a new battery in, I forgot to put that in the last post. Dose the same thing have to jump start it with the booster box. Once running it runns and drives great.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:34 PM   #4

Welcome!

When the battery is fully charged, does it turn over at the same speed as the other Mini Beasts?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-22-2010, 11:50 PM   #5

Thanks!

It sounds like it is turning over fine but have not paid attention if it turns over as fast as the others. It takes the others like 3 seconds to fire up.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:24 AM   #6

This is awfully strange. Starting with a booster box and not on a regular fully charged battery is a little odd.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:42 AM   #7

It sure is, don't know what to say.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew
It sure is, don't know what to say.
I'm thinking on that one a little. I've messed with these quads a lot and I've not had this problem, so I'm a bit stumped myself at the moment. Should have said that in my other post.

The whole booster box thing blows all my mental theories.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:09 AM   #9

I even tried taking the coil and plug wire off one of the other quads and nothing, and the rectifire and still nothing. I have checked all electrical plugs twice. I tought the old battery was the problem but wrong. Only thing that sticks in my head is that the spark plug is not getting enough voltage. When it comes to electrical I am at a loss.

Thanks

Old 01-23-2010, 01:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew
I even tried taking the coil and plug wire off one of the other quads and nothing, and the rectifire and still nothing. I have checked all electrical plugs twice. I tought the old battery was the problem but wrong. Only thing that sticks in my head is that the spark plug is not getting enough voltage. When it comes to electrical I am at a loss.

Thanks
I'm just thinking out loud.. but is it possible it's overfueling some on startup? Perhaps it's getting so much fuel it needs the extra pop to get over that? I could be 'reaching' here a bit but really theorizing out loud.

I would say it could be the cold but the others start so that's why the booster issue is boggling me some.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:04 AM   #11

Hey i won't lie, i thought it was the cold, but my sons 50cc is acting the exact same way, will turn over til the batteries dead, put on my portable booster pack and it fires right up, i think it's a voltage issue as well, i do have one of the no-rev CDI, i'm going to stick that on today to rule out a weak CDI.

Also everytime i wash my sons quad it won't start til the next day, i did cover the remote stop/start unit with a bag but i have a feeling that the remote start/stop maybe part of my starting problem.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #12

Turbo T

I have been thinking the same thing. If I give it a few cranks with the starter you can realy smell the fuel, if I crank the other quad with the battery un hooked it dose not smell half as much. When I crank I let it turn over about 3-4 times just to see if it smells as much, it dose not. And once the no start quad gets running the it smells of strong fuel and smoky for about 2-3 min. How do I adjust the carb to get less fuel?

Old 01-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #13

waynev

I have tried the cdi from one of the other quads that run no luck.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:18 AM   #14

Well if your getting no spark at all then yes it will have more fuel in it before it fires, i've been looking at mine today, tried the new CDI and no luck still unless i use the booster, the nice thing is this CDI has a LED on it so based on a previous post by lynn edwards i'm thinking my trigger voltage may be too low, that is why is needs lots of power to spin the engine faster to get it, i'm going out to the garage now to see if adjusting that helps out.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #15

OK, i got it, the LED on the new CDI helped, it would only light when i used the booster pack to turn it over, to me it seemed the trigger voltage was low hence the LED would not light.
I removed the stator cover, as seen in my pic by the red outline i loosened the 2 screws on the trigger pickup, put a very slight amount of pressure behind it with a small screwdriver and re-tightened it, re-assembled the stator cover and now it is starting no problem without the booster pack, even though the voltage was sagging to 8.6V when turning over, it would never start this good before, i attributed it to a weak battery, i guess not.

Remember you also need to remove the chain cover to get the stator cover off easily, and remember to make sure the ground wire goes back on when bolting everthing back up.