Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2021, 02:49 PM   #1

Riding gear ??

Other than my helmet, I have no clothing, specific for a motorcycle, except for an insulated leather motorcycle jacket that I have had way before getting my bike. I also have several pairs of boots , so footwear is probably covered. I ride around in jeans, and sweat shirts, and sometimes a wind breaker, or an unlined denim jacket, but I know it is not even close to proper riding gear. I am 54, and have no desire to look out of place. I have saw some riding gear that reminds me of Power Rangers, and I also don't want to look like I'm trying to look like a hardcore biker in black leather pants, and jacket. What do you older bikers wear out on the main roads? I feel that my denim jacket probably offers some road rash protection, but most of my pants are just lightweight denim. I was in Walmart earlier, and almost bought some heavy made Dickie pants that are made from a heavy canvas like material . They came in a brown tan, as well as a greenish color. I thought that they would be better than regular jeans, but still look normal. Do any of y'all ride in normal clothes?

Old 04-12-2021, 03:05 PM   #2

One thing i do see missing from you list is a good pair of abrasion resistant gloves. You hand are the first thing that will hit the ground. Even a good pair of impact resistant work gloves will work. I'm 63 and don't give a hoot what others think about what I'm wearing. It's my hide and I'll protect it. lol

I have this jacket which works well for winter and summer riding. It has a removable liner and vents for the summer. Also waterproof. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There also matching pants which i haven't purchased yet but need to. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LGWV8VG...v_ov_lig_dp_it
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-12-2021, 03:08 PM   #3

Mx style DOT helmet, jeans, tactical boots, mx style shirt w/tee shirt underneath and gloves but I usually ride on trails or backroads on the tbr7.

On my street bike it's a similar outfit but a full face helmet and kevlar jacket.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 04-12-2021, 03:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTaoRider View Post
Mx style DOT helmet, jeans, tactical boots, mx style shirt w/tee shirt underneath and gloves but I usually ride on trails or backroads on the tbr7.

On my street bike it's a similar outfit but a full face helmet and kevlar jacket.
Sounds like my gear for off road which i think is good if you are just riding trail and not full blown MX. lol For the street, invest in good gear as TXTaoRider mentioned. Pavement is not as forgiving as dirt.
2004 Honda ST 1300
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-12-2021, 03:18 PM   #5

the dickies will be useless for riding protection... i used to ride mountain bike 5 miles too and from trails and i had a few tumbles, the dickies did nothing to protect the skin they covered.....

Old 04-12-2021, 03:20 PM   #6

Do yourself a favor and stop caring about how you will look. I would rather be a living and uninjured dork than the cool looking guy in traction eating from a straw.

You have to choose protection style based on where you ride.

Off road riding needs to focus more on blunt force protection, aka armor. You don't tend to slide on the pavement at 60mph, but you do slam into rocks and trees.
On road riding focus needs to be more on abrasion protection and a little impact.

This is why Motocross boots have big hard shin guard, ankle, and foot armor while street boots have protection for the ankle bones and some reinforcement for rollover.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-12-2021, 03:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
One thing i do see missing from you list is a good pair of abrasion resistant gloves. You hand are the first thing that will hit the ground. Even a good pair of impact resistant work gloves will work. I'm 63 and don't give a hoot what others think about what I'm wearing. It's my hide and I'll protect it. lol

I have this jacket which works well for winter and summer riding. It has a removable liner and vents for the summer. Also waterproof. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There also matching pants which i haven't purchased yet but need to. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LGWV8VG...v_ov_lig_dp_it
I have a couple pair of regular leather gloves, but nothing specific to motorcycle riding.. I have seen some lightweight summer motorcycle gear on Amazon, but a lot of it reminds me of wind breakers, and athletic warm up pants.. Does this lightweight gear do any good in an accident, or is it just for comfort ?

Old 04-12-2021, 03:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
I have a couple pair of regular leather gloves, but nothing specific to motorcycle riding.. I have seen some lightweight summer motorcycle gear on Amazon, but a lot of it reminds me of wind breakers, and athletic warm up pants.. Does this lightweight gear do any good in an accident, or is it just for comfort ?
The jacket i have is not light weight. It's pretty tough. It has elbow, back and chest protection. Even though it's heavy, with the vents open it stays rather cool in the summer.
Leather gloves will be fine. Better than no gloves.
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-12-2021, 03:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Off road riding needs to focus more on blunt force protection, aka armor. You don't tend to slide on the pavement at 60mph, but you do slam into rocks and trees.
On road riding focus needs to be more on abrasion protection and a little impact.

This is why Motocross boots have big hard shin guard, ankle, and foot armor while street boots have protection for the ankle bones and some reinforcement for rollover.
This is very true. My off road riding is usually open flat land such as the spillyway. No rocks or trees. Lots of mud and sand. Now when I do ride the trails in wooded areas, i do go full gear. Trees tend not to move out the way. lol
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-12-2021, 04:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
This is very true. My off road riding is usually open flat land such as the spillyway. No rocks or trees. Lots of mud and sand. Now when I do ride the trails in wooded areas, i do go full gear. Trees tend not to move out the way. lol
That's the beauty or the expensive part of off roading, you will need specific gear for the terrain you will ride.

Riding sand you are going to need something that has great abrasion resistance.

Old 04-12-2021, 04:22 PM   #11

Here's the thing -- anything's better than nothing. Of course, you can go for top-tier leather or textiles, and your protection level will be higher than with more lightly-constructed garments; but in the height of summer you will face real challenges from the heat that could actually endanger you more than wearing lighter, ventilated clothes with armor pads in the strategic places would.

And as for how you look -- forget about it! As has already been stated, it's my hide, and I'll dress as I please to protect it, thank you. Looking cool is not why I ride a bike -- BEING cool is why I do it!

Old 04-12-2021, 04:29 PM   #12

I have a full set of summer and winter gear.
Armored pants. Armored jacket. Armored gloves. Mx boots. And a snell full face helmet for on road. And a snell mx helmet with polarized goggles.
I also have an armored shirt (chest, back, shoulders, elbows, and forearms) for the off road trail stuff.

My street jacket is high vis yellow. As Dan said, I would rather look like a nerd and survive than look cool smashed and grated on the road.

Old 04-12-2021, 05:46 PM   #13

I broke down, and ordered a jacket, and pants... https://www.amazon.com/JAYEFO-ALPHA-.../dp/B07SKDV3S2. https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Mo.../dp/B08TVBQSRZ Both evidently have a removable liner. Let me know if you don't think this is a good choice in gear. I tried to be thrifty, as well as get a product that would work well in all my riding situations. I saw several similar products but these were on the less expensive side, and each had 10% off coupons ,making the pants $45.00, and the jacket $52.00

Old 04-12-2021, 06:59 PM   #14

I have an alpha jacket. It is super warm. Is my winter jacket.