Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2024, 09:08 PM   #1

Lifan Xpect 300 Mile Megaride

First post to the forum, though I've lurked on here without an account for several years. I've got a 2020 Lifan Xpect that has been totally flawless for me, and I think my favorite bike ever. From being a daily commuter, a weekend two and single track trail bike, and the occasional several hundred mile day, the bike has just been perfect for me and what I want out of a bike here in Washington. But, this isn't a review post.

Back in July of this year (2024) I took my xpect on a 300 mile "mega" ride where I did 8 hours of riding in a single day, I think my most ever. For several hundred miles (and more than a couple hours), my Lifan was WOT on the interstate or high speed two lane highways. Then I also took it on some black diamond trails in the Gifford Pinochet National Forest, as well as some regular dirt road in the forest as well, albiet waaaay in the middle of nowhere, and by dumb luck, pretty close to part 1 of the WA BDR.

Overall, the bike did absolutely flawless despite the challenge, and now that I'm recovered from the ride, I'm thinking I may do another similar one before winter comes and the dirt roads my lifan and I love become laden with snow.

Link to the gps tracking for the ride: https://www.relive.cc/view/v8qVE1kop76
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240728_211042823.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	31991   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240728_194637551.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	31992  
? Honda CRF100F
? Honda CRF70
Honda/Suzuki 50cc Kids Bikes

Old 09-24-2024, 07:55 PM   #2

Cool trip!

Gotta love the Lifan bikes! Glad to hear that your trip went well. Not sure how you got around that tree, did you have to get out your Leatherman?

Washington state is a beautiful place to ride. Hope the weather is on your side!

Old 09-24-2024, 10:41 PM   #3

I always get a little iffy, taking out the Xpect at wot speeds.
Mine reaches 70-74 mph GPS top speed (tucked), or 60-65mph upright depending on the wind.
Somehow I always fear an engine lockup, because of the chain failing or something I've overlooked.

I just passed 750 miles on mine, and the plastic exhaust cover still smells like molten plastic.

Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule6 View Post
Gotta love the Lifan bikes! Glad to hear that your trip went well. Not sure how you got around that tree, did you have to get out your Leatherman?

Washington state is a beautiful place to ride. Hope the weather is on your side!
I ended up having to turn around when I got to the downed tree, to the right of the tree was a sheer cliff and to the left some sort of steep embankment. I know you mentioned it as a joke, but I do usually pack a large folding saw with me for exactly this scenario, and I usually end up moving half a dozen trees from the road every year!
? Honda CRF100F
? Honda CRF70

Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I always get a little iffy, taking out the Xpect at wot speeds.
Mine reaches 70-74 mph GPS top speed (tucked), or 60-65mph upright depending on the wind.
Somehow I always fear an engine lockup, because of the chain failing or something I've overlooked.

I just passed 750 miles on mine, and the plastic exhaust cover still smells like molten plastic.
I don't know if it just comes from me coming from a lot iffier bikes on the road (full knobbies on dirt bikes or little 10 inch scooter tires), but I personally feel like the xpect is fine at high speed. I'm actually thinking about gearing my xpect up even more to a 17 front 40 or 42 rear to drop the rpms at 60mph and make touring around a little nicer on the engine. Obviously an adv bike would be much better, but cf moto 450mt or the 800 ibex isn't in the budget anytime soon.
? Honda CRF100F
? Honda CRF70

Old Today, 09:33 PM   #6

For street use, your best gearing is between a 17/37 and a 17/38t.
I don't use mine for off-road.
I have a 17/36 on mine, but the bike has difficulty maintaining speeds with a strong headwind.
And anything 17/36t or higher (like up to 17/32 gearing) will give trouble starting from a stop, with engine stalling.

If you ride hilly terrains, a 17/38 might be ideal.

Tags
adventure, adventure bike, lifan, washington, xpect