Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2024, 01:38 PM   #1

Head Scratching Mikuni Carb on Rhino... how do I mount this thing?

After buying a $20 carb when I first got my Rhino I ended up running into issues with fuel leaking out the overflow after several months. Tuning was a nightmare due to the screw locations and I was ready to replace with something higher quality.

I picked up a Mikuni VM26 based on recommendations on this forum. However when it arrived it doesn't seem to have a good way to mount it to the motor. The old carb was basically bolt in place, but this one doesn't seem to have any mounting plate.

How do I get this connected to my Rhino?

Old 10-17-2024, 01:41 PM   #2

Do I need something like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29655279123...ec5bf508afe1fb

If anyone can post a link to the proper boot that would be super helpful. Thanks.

Old 10-18-2024, 01:21 PM   #3

I ended up ordering this one. Looks like even though it says VM24 the measurements for the bolts and the rubber opening match what I have. I'll update this thread with details after it arrives and I try installing it.

DON'T ORDER THIS, IT'S THE WRONG SIZE.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CL1ZGXC3...fed_asin_title
DON'T ORDER THIS, IT'S THE WRONG SIZE.

Last edited by Yakpimp; Today at 02:25 PM.

Old Today, 02:33 PM   #4

I finally got things somewhat working last night.

I ended up realizing I need to mount the carb directly onto the motor and not with a fancy manifold like stock since I couldn't find one with the 60mm hole placement.

I ended up ordering this one and was able to mount it directly on the side of the motor.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WJC9R6...fed_asin_title

The fuel line is a little bit shorter than I would like, but does reach so for now I'll leave it. It's starting to show signed of rubber deterioration, so I'll look into getting a replacement soon.

The carb sits slightly tilted to the right, I don't know if that's going to be a problem or not. It's possible it is the causing the problem I have right now.

I watched several youtube videos on how to tune this so that it has a good fuel and air mix. I can't seem to get it right though. Everything runs, but seems to be running much higher than it was with the stock carb. No matter how much I put in the fuel screw or air screw it never really gets to the point of stalling on it's own. They for sure make a difference because I can feel the throttle response change when I adjust them.

I did try riding the Rhino around the yard, and even with the higher base engine rev it was much more fun to ride. So maybe it's just how it's going to be. Possibly due to the angle the floats need some adjustment?

The air filter I picked up just fit and is resting up against the frame. I don't think it will cause issue, but it was a bit of a pain to get in the tight space.

Old Today, 03:42 PM   #5

I should call out that the jets that were pre-installed appear to be a

332 and a 2.5 (That can't be right right?)

Old Today, 04:04 PM   #6

Those aren't jets in your pics, the top pic is the needle jet (emulsion tube), and the bottom pic is the float bowl needle seat.
The Mikuni VM26-606 comes stock with a #190 main jet (part #27) and a #22.5 pilot jet (part #24).
Below is the parts diagram of your carb.

Old Today, 04:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbkr188 View Post
Those aren't jets in your pics, the top pic is the needle jet (emulsion tube), and the bottom pic is the float bowl needle seat.
The Mikuni VM26-606 comes stock with a #190 main jet (part #27) and a #22.5 pilot jet (part #24).

This is helpful. I wasn't sure what I was looking at in there, and was even more confused because I ordered a 115 and 30 from Jets-r-us and they didn't look the same. They accidentally sent me a 27.5 instead (replacement coming today)

I'm guessing having a 190 main jet lets in more fuel than a 115 since the jet hole would be significantly larger. Would this help explain why it's revving so high?

From what little I know about pilot jets, I expect that maybe that has more to do with my idle since again from 22.5 -> 30 is a decent amount more open.

If that's the case, when the new jet arrives tonight I can pull the whole thing off swap those in and try it out in the morning.

Thanks for the diagram!

Old Today, 06:23 PM   #8

If the jets you ordered do not match the ones on the top of the pic below, do NOT attempt to install those jets in your carb. The jets on the top are for the Genuine Mikuni VM26-606 which appears to be what you have. The jets in the bottom of the pic are typically used in the VM22 and VM26 Mikuni-clone carbs and are NOT the same as the real Mikuni.

Old Today, 06:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbkr188 View Post
If the jets you ordered do not match the ones on the top of the pic below, do NOT attempt to install those jets in your carb. The jets on the top are for the Genuine Mikuni VM26-606 which appears to be what you have. The jets in the bottom of the pic are typically used in the VM22 and VM26 Mikuni-clone carbs and are NOT the same as the real Mikuni.

You called it, this is what I got in the mail. Based on your pic I'd say these are clone jets.

Do you have a good place to buy the right ones from?

Tags
carb, mikuni, mounting, rhino, vm26