Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2018, 09:03 AM   #1

Hawk 250 seat to fit DR650?

I've read in a couple places the Hawk has a very comfortable seat. I have a DR 650 and the seat is hard, narrow and very uncomfortable. I was wondering if a Hawk seat can be easily adapted to fit the DR.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:34 AM   #2

Nope. Look into Seat Concepts. They are the cheapest when it comes to replacement seats. They have several options. https://seatconcepts.com/collections/suzuki?page=2

Old 11-26-2018, 09:56 AM   #3

doog

Thanks, I'll check it out. I've also seen Sargent seats for the DR. Just don't want to spend $350 for a seat. Does anyone know if seat concepts is as comfortable as a Sargent?

Old 11-26-2018, 10:45 AM   #4

Doog, I have both a DR and a Hawk as well. I went with the ProCycle seat with gel, and I couldn't be happier. I've spent 8-9 hours in the saddle of my DR when I was on the East Coast travelling between Atlanta, GA and Tampa/Clearwater, FL. You use the existing seat pan, and just stretch and staple the new seat foam and cover over it. Not very hard to do at all, but I would suggest an electric or pneumatic stapler to save your hands and forearms all that stapling. Here's the link to the ProCycle website with the seats. You may have to scroll up some to see all the seat options.
https://procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#suz-dr-grpr

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 11-26-2018, 11:24 AM   #5

doog

Thanks. It looks like it's on sale for $118 ending today. How long were you able to ride your DR with the stock seat before it got uncomfortable? Also, is the stock Hawk seat really comfortable as I've read?

Old 11-26-2018, 11:44 AM   #6

I didn't ride my DR for more than about 45 minutes at a time before the back of my thighs and butt got numb and tingly. Not happy with the DR seat at all. My DR is outfitted to ride the Trans-America Trail. I spent a lot of time and money getting a lot of things replaced, upgraded, and fitted out for long trips. I find the Hawk seat to be comfortable for about an hour and a half to two hours. My Hawk tops out at 60-65mph (and only if I pedal really fast). That makes it a great around town runabout, but not much for the long haul. In using it that way, I'm never in the saddle for more than about 20 minutes at a stretch anyways. There are members here who have been able to get better top speeds out of their Hawks, but for me, the Hawk is just a jet-around bike. I have the DR for my longer trips, the Ural to take the Missus out for rides, and the Scrambler (whenever that gets back together) for a taste of the classic. I've got an ear to the ground now for a 2010-2012 Triumph Daytona 675, too. I always say it would be cheaper to have a drug habit rather than a motorcycle habit. Sorry for the tangent that got way off topic, but there you have it.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 11-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #7

doog

Thanks for all that info. Way back in the day (late sixties high school) I had a 67 Honda 305 Scrambler. This was the time when Jap 2 strokes ruled as far as performance. But 4 strokes were cooler because they sounded much better. I then upgraded to a 69 650 Triumph. That was real cool. Anyway, I once rode a friend's 450 Honda. It rode pretty good. One thing about all these old bikes I'm mentioning, is they all vibrate badly. Thinking of your 450 brought me down memory lane.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:28 PM   #8

This one is going to have all new rubber bits, as well as a couple modern touches. There shouldn't be much in the way of vibration there when it finally gets back on the road. I'm going to have to hunt down an absolute mountain of parts for it, though.

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up