Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2024, 04:18 PM   #1

Could've Been Worse.

Oldest grandson, Eli, had an incident today with the Taozuma 110 ATV. He's not sure what happened, but he plowed into one of my bikes at WOT. He walked away with a bit of road rash on his chest.

Unfortunately, the bike was leaning on the back of the Ural. The Ural was pushed into the Honda and that fell over onto the mower.

The bike, a 1954 Robin Hood with a 2 speed fixed gear hub, is totaled. Bent the frame, the rear wheel, the crank, and broke the chain ring.

The Ural, so far, has a broken fog light bracket, nasty paint chip on the sidecar, and possibly a bent receiver hitch.

The Honda has a bent rear fender, license plate and bracket, and a bent bracket and boogered paint on the left hard bag.

Of course, damage to the Taozuma was minimal. Eli broke the little pink plastic toolbox with his chest. That was it.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 07-11-2024, 04:37 PM   #2

Wow! Yeah, That could of been worst. Glad to see he came out okay. And who said these china ATV's aren't tuff? lol
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 07-11-2024, 06:59 PM   #3

All I can see on the ATV is a couple places that had the rust knocked off of the booger bar. I'm pretty sure that the throttle got stuck. I farted around with it, opening and closing the throttle a dozen times and it stuck open on the last go. I turned in the limited screw a couple of turns and that seems to have fixed that.

The kid was so worried that I was mad at him. I told him I was mad at the situation, not at him. It can all be repaired or replaced.

The kid did a helluva job on the bike. There is not a straight tube on that 70 year old frame. I didn't look at the other side of the bike until later. Wished I hadn't.

I'll be able to salvage the front wheel, fork, stem, handlebars, seat and seat post, tire pump, bottle cage, and rear hub(I hope). Maybe the pedals. I just rode that bike 25 miles last Friday, too.

The receiver on the Ural isn't bent but I will replace all four of the U-bolts. He busted one and bent another. I haven't found the other half of the broken one yet. I still need to get out and ride it to make sure the alignment is still okay. I replaced the pushrod seals today and I wanted the RTV to set before I fire it up.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 07-11-2024, 07:31 PM   #4

Looks like you have a grass cutting and other assorted labour volunteer for the next 20 years ! You are lucky he didn’t get your glass ankle again .

Old 07-11-2024, 08:07 PM   #5

Wow, that could have been a lot worse.

2016 Magician 250

Old 07-11-2024, 09:24 PM   #6

Just glad the boy is ok!

Old 07-11-2024, 11:19 PM   #7

Could have been a lot worse. No more power equipment bowling in the garage.
* Banjo brake light switch
* LED headlight + front turn signals
* Debadged (I don't like to brag about the superior
strength!)
* Top speed, GPS verified, as equipped: 68 mph (so far)

Old 07-12-2024, 11:41 AM   #8

Glad it wasn't worse! Seems you now have plenty of projects to keep you busy.

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old 07-12-2024, 12:03 PM   #9

My "incidents" usually involve a river bed, loose rock, or tree or some combination of them

I never opened 'er up in a garage! Not sure what happened? Gee. Let's just hope the roadrash instills a lesson here for Eli (usually does). Not being mean here. This is a life lesson that could save his pickle in the long run

I used to dive under the bike in a crash to keep it from breaking as a kid, and even young adult (thin wallet, but figured my skin will heal).

I got over that, but the lessons stuck.

Old 07-12-2024, 01:50 PM   #10

Road rash on the chest. How come I get a "flight" visual.

He must have been moving to push that much stuff in a domino effect. I didn't think a 110 China quad could build that much inertia.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-12-2024, 04:45 PM   #11

Receiver hitch has been repaired. Two of the four U bolts were damaged, one so bad that you’d never know it once a U bolt. I replaced all four with new hardware. The alignment on the Ural is dead nuts on. So good there.

I’ll need to make one new aluminum strap for the hard bag on the Honda. I won’t even bother straightening that. New to me fender coming from Epay.

That little plastic tool box broke in a million pieces and is scattered all over the garage. Like the one end of the U bolt, one of the toolbox brackets is MIA.

I had Eli sit on the ATV today just to check that the handle bar hadn’t moved. He took out the key so I wouldn’t start it. He’s doing okay, just has a nasty mark on his chest.

2LZ-I think this turd had some ‘work’ done to it before I got it. It’ll gate job my neighbor kids Honda 90 ATV.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 07-12-2024, 05:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I didn't think a 110 China quad could build that much inertia.
This and Cheesy's experience remind me of an incident and a china machine that I had completely forgotten about.

My BIL found a 50cc China quad used for dirt cheap and I bought it for my son. He was maybe 7 at the time. The quad was maybe $100 and in good shape. Wish I could remember the make of that little thing. It was yellow with a clutchless 4 up transmission and it hauled ass. It even hauled me around pretty good.

One day at my In-Law's house he was riding it around. The In-laws lived on an old farmstead with about 80 acres of woods, farm fields, an apple orchard, and a long gravel driveway. He was tearing around and I guess with extended family around he got in the spirit of showing off even though he didn't have a lot of experience. He was coming from the other end of the orchard, slightly down hill toward the house and the family standing around watching. 10 feet in front of us was an old field stone foundation that was working like a retaining wall and above was the orchard. The wall was maybe 3ft high, but it was ground level at the top. He tore ass across the orchard toward us with no sign of slowing down. We all realized he was gonna stop in time to avoid the wall and he was going to fast to turn. We started yelling and waving and he panicked and turned. The turn avoided him launching off the stone wall into the crowd or the house, but it initiated a pretty aggressive roll over. He had on a helmet...the visor got cracked....he got scared, but didn't get hurt. The quad never ran right after that and it got sold. The only damage was his helmet visor and some of the plastics.

He was really into it after that and we sold it cheap like we got it. That thing impressed me then. Wish I knew half of what I know now. Woulda kept it.
strength!)

Old 07-13-2024, 06:30 PM   #13

After some CSI type investigations, meaning I was riding the Taozuma and the damn thing went WOT on me without touching the throttle. Eli had told me yesterday that the throttle lever was in the idle position when it happened and I kind of blew it off. Shame on me.

I found, after hitting the Big Red Button, that the ring that holds the slide in place on top the carb had unscrewed itself and the slide was trying to escape. The little turd behaved itself after I got it screwed back on. When the turd cools down, I'll put a drop of blue loc-tite on the threads and crank down on the ring a tad more than hand tight.

BTW, there was a bit more damage to the poop than I first noticed. Ta Da, something looks a bit askew.

The steerer is bent both forward and to the left. Something else to fix. Eli's 20 years of lawn care will need to be somewhat reduced.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 07-13-2024, 11:21 PM   #14

Looks like the clamp is broken too.
strength!)

Old 07-14-2024, 07:42 AM   #15

Looks like it but it's just crud and corrosion. Fixing the little poop moved to the back burner with the bike as we have a blocked culvert and Lake Cheesy in our front yard after last nights' 1.5" rainfall. More expected today with temp indexes near 100. Of course.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800