Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 09:20 AM   #1

Question Any better looking forks for hawk 250cc?

Question Anyone found better looking forks for the Hawk 250?
I hate how skinny the original Front forks look so i want to replace them wider ones. Any suggestions

Old 08-01-2020, 09:25 PM   #2

Ask Megadan as I lefty a set with him

Old 08-01-2020, 10:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneybagg View Post
Question Anyone found better looking forks for the Hawk 250?
I hate how skinny the original Front forks look so i want to replace them wider ones. Any suggestions
I have been wondering about an upgrade for the brozz recon as well, not because of the looks but because of the lack of adjustment and the mushy response.

Old 08-02-2020, 11:47 AM   #4

The standard Hawk uses old school forks , while the Brozz 250 uses the newer "upside down" configuration. So, it will be much easier and simpler to find some better forks for the Brozz, as many MX forks while slide right in the Brozz triple clamps-

The Hawk on the other hand is going to be a bit more of an issue since they use old school forks and you are likely going to be looking at swapping the entire triple tree assy out as well as the forks to end up with forks that are actually better , both in size as well as adjustability .The Hawk DLX does use "upside down" forks so those Owners are in luck., i would imagine that you could swap the DLX setup straight over to the standard Hawk , i think they share the same actual frame , but i cant swear to that .,might be worth putting a call in to the best Hawk Dealer / Parts Supllier and asking about that as well as parts availability and pricing for a set of DLX forks and triple clamps .
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 08-02-2020, 01:17 PM   #5

If it's just about appearance, swapping a complete front end is probably above your pay grade.

Unless you've got measurements/proof that the Brozz has tons of other forks that fit, you're likely spreading incorrect information. These lower-end Chinese bikes are using much smaller stuff than modern, mx-grade forks. The only exception I know of is that some KTM forks will swap into GPX bikes, but they aren't low end bikes, they're virtually clones of KTMs other than the engines and some fork internals with the latest SZC stuff.

One bike having USD forks does not mean that a lot of different USD forks will easily swap over, generally the opposite because the top and bottom triple clamps generally have two different diameters, and different forks, even with the same diameters, might be spaced/tapered differently so that it isn't a straight swap.

Usually swapping front ends involves different size tapered roller bearings, potentially custom triple clamps if the offset or spacing need to be changed, and often a custom/modified steering stem or steering stem spacers.

Effectively, if these things I mentioned are things you don't already understand, or the explanations aren't comprehensible to you, you're better off, for safety's sake, not trying to swap front ends.

Like the above poster stated, the DLX might be your best bet, but all of those measurements still potentially apply.

Old 08-02-2020, 04:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post

One bike having USD forks does not mean that a lot of different USD forks will easily swap over, generally the opposite because the top and bottom triple clamps generally have two different diameters, and different forks, even with the same diameters, might be spaced/tapered differently so that it isn't a straight swap.
They are not the same size of real MX motorcycles. Some people here do change the USD forks, but they change whole assembly even with the wheel hub. But this is done by people who owns circuits and rent those motorcycles, using old/eftover parts from Yamaha, Honda, Husqvarna and they do it with motorcycles that have "pro-link" like rear suspension....

Not much point on having a pro front suspension if the rear is not up to the task...

Old 08-02-2020, 05:42 PM   #7

I’m just looking for wider better looking set up. I’d consider buying the dlx front suspension but. I only ride on the street i don’t care what doesn’t make since to you.

Old 08-02-2020, 05:53 PM   #8

"Not much point on having a pro front suspension if the rear is not up to the task..."

I agree , you can't really upgrade one and not the other for any practical application. But, given the OP's reason for the swap to begin with was " they don't look cool" ,I imagine once he understands the cost involved let alone the complexity , that "Complaint" will suddenly experience a significant reduction in importance and urgency.

Also, not bashing the Hawk at all, but the end result of seriously upgrading the front and rear suspensions would likely be a frame ,mounting points /brackets or swingarm busted in half or twisted as the result of the increased jump and thrash capability , all that increased stress has to go somewhere, just because your suspension can handle it, doesn't necessarily mean what that suspension is bolted to can, or will.

This is a lesson i first learned a long time ago when i stuffed a V8 into a Vega and nailed the gas, only to find that it promptly spit the rear end all over the road as the gears designed to handle the load of the stock anemic 4 cyl disintegrated under the stress of a built 350 .
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 08-03-2020, 03:56 AM   #9

Doh! Wow

You guys didn’t help AT ALL 😒

Old 08-03-2020, 05:42 AM   #10

Here, I've condensed the information to something that should be comprehensible, even to you:

If it's just about appearance, and especially since I already gave you this advice, it's apparently "not helpful", so swapping a complete front end is probably above your pay grade.

There are many things that can go wrong, and many things that need to be precisely right, i.e. no slack, not too tight, spaced properly, etc. Not to mention potential suspension geometry changes from longer/shorter forks/different offsets of triple clamps, different wheel size if your old wheel isn't compatible, etc. Additionally, there are practical concerns such if it needs new steering stops, whether it interferes with the gas tank, or even steering radius reduction.

Usually swapping front ends involves different size tapered roller bearings, potentially custom triple clamps if the offset or spacing need to be changed, and often a custom/modified steering stem or steering stem spacers.

Effectively, if these things I mentioned are things you don't already understand, or the explanations aren't comprehensible to you, you're better off, for safety's sake, not trying to swap front ends.

Like the above poster stated, the DLX might be your best bet, but all of those measurements still potentially apply, though we can't offer any guarantees, you will still need to measure it for yourself.

We can't offer you a step one, buy x, step two, install, because swapping front ends on a motorcycle is not a minor thing, it is probably the easiest of what I would consider to be major surgery. I've been a professional motorcycle mechanic for almost 5 years now, and am about to do my first front end swap, for my own motorcycle. This is not something that people do every day, and requires doing a lot of homework.

For example, I'm thinking about swapping an XR650R front end onto a DR650. If I use the stock triple clamps and stem, the top bearing is a regular type of bearing, but the bottom is something really obscure, I'll have to buy a wheel bearing for a 70s Fiat to make it work. Additionally, there is a good chance that I'll either need a steering stem spacer, or a custom shortened steering stem for the triple trees to work. That is a pretty average amount of work that would need to be done.

It isn't easy, so based on the questions and overall tone that you're taking with this, you should probably either consider accepting that the front forks won't look like what you want, or you can start learning a lot, starting with how to use calipers, read and understand a bearing catalog, and then possibly doing the swap. Or, you can sell the Hawk and get something that has better looking forks to you.

Last edited by franque; 08-03-2020 at 12:34 PM.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:35 PM   #11

Exclamation Old thread... but wow

I really don't like the tone some of you guys are answering questions from those with a genuine interest in learning about something. Especially the "above your pay grade" type comments.... thats just rude.

I've got a Hawk DLX that i really enjoy using to put around, get the mail, bash a little, etc. I'm interested in seeing what might fit on this thing which is why i ended up at this thread. Even the DLX upsidedown forks stink...I bottom mine out often. A better set wouldn't snap the frame any more likely than me bottoming out would, so let's be helpful, and not sh!!y to people, yeah? If you can't, then maybe just keep it to yourself.

Anyway, I have three other bikes to ride, and can afford to buy 10 of whatever birt bike I want any day of any week... but what I want is to make this china bike a little less terrible. Why? It's fun to take a turd, and make it do things better... and with a few tweaks, these bikes really aren't too bad with reasonable expectations. Let's be real, nobody is riding these THAT hard, or competing on a Hawk, ever so why all of the negativity? Mine does 70mph on a perfect day, and handles 120% of what I bought it for... but I'd like more suspension.. even if that means rebuilding 25 yo forks to get to fit. I'm even considering converting mine into a 8000 watt ebike... just because I think it'd be neat.

Soooo... to recap:
1. Let's try not be dicks.
2. Let's give info when requested instead of telling people they shouldn't do things because maybe it's not what we'd want to do.
3. Be humble... I can guaranty everyone reading this who likes making others feel small....there are plenty of people who know more, make more, have less spare time, and and yet still find time to kindly respond to just about anyone who asks, and help out without being judgey / jerky about it.

4. Finally, if I'm successful at figuring this fork upgrade out, I'll eventually take the time to post for future people trying to find info about fork swaps, and I suggest anyone else also willing to do so, to simply post info, not a bunch of reasons why you think it's a bad idea or whatever. Otherwise it ends up being a waste of time for anyone landing on these pages while searching...The world doesn't need more of that, does it?

Later,

zjbowman

Last edited by zjbowman; 08-10-2022 at 07:47 PM. Reason: More

Old 08-10-2022, 07:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjbowman View Post
I really don't like the tone you guys are answering someone with a genuine interest in learning about something. Especially the "above your pay grade" type comments.

I've got a Hawk DLX that i really enjoy using to put around, get the mail, bash a little, etc. I'm interested in seeing what might fit on this thing which is why i ended up at this thread. Even the DLX upsidedown forks stink...I bottom mine out often. A better set wouldn't snap the frame any more likely than me bottoming out would, so let's be helpful, and not sh!!y to people, yeah?

Anyway, I have three other bikes to ride, and can afford to buy whatever birt bike I want... but what I want is to make this china bike a little less terrible. Why? It's fun to take a turd, and make it do things better... and with a few tweaks, these bikes really aren't bad. Let's be real though, nobody is riding hard, or competing on a Hawk, ever. I'm actually considering converting mine into a 8000 watt ebike... just because.

Soooo...
1. Let's not dicks.
2. Let's give info when requested instead of telling people they should do things
3. Be humble... I can guaranty there are plenty of people who know more, make more, have less spare time, and and still find time to kindly respond to just about anyone who asks, and help out without being judgey / jerky.

4. Finally, if I'm successful at figuring this out, I'll take time to post for future people trying to find info about fork swaps, and I suggest anyone else willing to do so to simply post info, not a bunch of reasons why you think it's a bad idea. The world doesn't need more of that, does it?

Later,

zjbowman

You do realize this thread is 2 years old... right?
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 08-10-2022, 09:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjbowman View Post
I really don't like the tone some of you guys are answering questions from those with a genuine interest in learning about something. Especially the "above your pay grade" type comments.... thats just rude.

I've got a Hawk DLX that i really enjoy using to put around, get the mail, bash a little, etc. I'm interested in seeing what might fit on this thing which is why i ended up at this thread. Even the DLX upsidedown forks stink...I bottom mine out often. A better set wouldn't snap the frame any more likely than me bottoming out would, so let's be helpful, and not sh!!y to people, yeah? If you can't, then maybe just keep it to yourself.

Anyway, I have three other bikes to ride, and can afford to buy 10 of whatever birt bike I want any day of any week... but what I want is to make this china bike a little less terrible. Why? It's fun to take a turd, and make it do things better... and with a few tweaks, these bikes really aren't too bad with reasonable expectations. Let's be real, nobody is riding these THAT hard, or competing on a Hawk, ever so why all of the negativity? Mine does 70mph on a perfect day, and handles 120% of what I bought it for... but I'd like more suspension.. even if that means rebuilding 25 yo forks to get to fit. I'm even considering converting mine into a 8000 watt ebike... just because I think it'd be neat.

Soooo... to recap:
1. Let's try not be dicks.
2. Let's give info when requested instead of telling people they shouldn't do things because maybe it's not what we'd want to do.
3. Be humble... I can guaranty everyone reading this who likes making others feel small....there are plenty of people who know more, make more, have less spare time, and and yet still find time to kindly respond to just about anyone who asks, and help out without being judgey / jerky about it.

4. Finally, if I'm successful at figuring this fork upgrade out, I'll eventually take the time to post for future people trying to find info about fork swaps, and I suggest anyone else also willing to do so, to simply post info, not a bunch of reasons why you think it's a bad idea or whatever. Otherwise it ends up being a waste of time for anyone landing on these pages while searching...The world doesn't need more of that, does it?

Later,

zjbowman
Geez! So let's take a fire that blew out two years ago and throw gas on it and throw a match on it?
Let's me stop it here. Locked.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 08-10-2022 at 10:08 PM.

Closed Thread