Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #1

just got me a mikuni & performance coil

yup ordered one up 3 days ago from ebay for 42.99 with priority shipping..

first impressions the shiney finish to it kind of made it appear cheapish, but the fact that it uses actual main and a real pilot jet that i can go buy to replace or change sizes is AWSOME. the pilot jet in my keihin was a desgin that no one at the mx shop had ever seen before. so there was no upgrading the size on it.

my notchy throttle is now gone, guess the problem was in the slide on my keihin crap knock off that came with it. the mikuni throttle spring is a good 1 1/2in longer and a decent amount stiffer then keihin throttle spring. so even tho it takes a little more pressure to move the throttle lever now. the whole action is much smoother as a result.

new bowl gaskets, and intake oring is always good.. also like that the tube the main jet screws into has a oring to stop any extra fuel from being sucked in through the threads where it screws into the carb.

i also installed a high performance coil to finish off the ignition upgrades. comparisons on that are

it is heavyer then the stocker, 50% more voltage to the plug over the stocker, and its a cool red color. not thrilled about a orange plug wire but it will do untill i get around to finding a name brand high performance ignition plug wire from accel, or ngk. also using my stock plug boot and not the crap looking solid plastic on that came with the coil.

i have not tested any of these yet and will take a picture of each of them after they are installed. well they are already installed but i couldnt find my camera, so when i do find the camera i will take a picture of each

Old 09-19-2010, 12:11 AM   #2

Wal-Mart sells a throttle extender for around $15 (half of what I paid :roll: ). It really helps to prevent sore thumbs, since you now have a stiffer throttle return spring.

IIRC, it's a Mad Dog part.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-19-2010, 12:16 AM   #3

i might look into a lever extender, but i want to get a ride or 2 in on it before buying one. but i am going to look into one, what section of walmart would i need to look in ? sporting goods maybe ?

*edit* found it on walmarts site, i will check it out in person. but from the pictures it seems kind of long. if i did use a extended lever i would only need a inch and a half extension

Old 09-19-2010, 12:29 AM   #4

Show us the link you found.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-19-2010, 12:32 AM   #5

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stearns-Bl...ssist/10727534

it says its long enough that a tired rider can throttle with the palm of their hand. that seems to be a little to long for me

Old 09-19-2010, 12:36 AM   #6

That's very similar to the ones I installed on our quads, although our throttles look different than that one, so it doesn't stick out so far. It does allow you to operate the throttle with the base of your thumb, and i can ride the quad all day like that.

BTW, watch out for the stock Beast hand grips. They have square edges that can hold the throttle wide open if the grip should twist while you're riding. 8O It wouldn't hurt to trim the grips down a bit. In fact, I'm gonna go do that.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:39 AM   #7

im about to replace my grips and maybe my whole throttle lever.. if i use say a yamaha throttle assy rockymountain sells a billet lever that is extended and its all one peice.. but idk for sure if i am going to replace the throttle just yet.. but grips are deff on the way out for some protaper pillow grips.

still need to get a new airfilter, been putting it off untill i got the mikuni so i can fix the fuel mixture with a simple trip to tj's for some new jets..

Old 09-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #8

finally decided to break down and order jets, tj's was out of 110 mains and 25 pilots.. should be here wensday awsome feeling knowing that my quad is no going to be jetted properly and back to running better then before i got mod happy with it..

Old 09-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke
finally decided to break down and order jets, tj's was out of 110 mains and 25 pilots.. should be here wensday awsome feeling knowing that my quad is no going to be jetted properly and back to running better then before i got mod happy with it..
Dunno if I missed it, but what jets did the eBay Chikuni carb come with? I think the one I got from GIO has a 100 main.

I know this T3 weighs far more than my X31 250 dirtbike, but it has nowhere NEAR the power. Wish I could transplant the 250 engine into the T3, but would have to give up the reverse gear....

Old 09-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #10

The upgrade mikuni carb comes with 100 main and 20 pilot jets.

GIO does have a 250cc with reverse that will fit in a beast and probably the T3 as well http://www.giobikes.com/Engines-Comp...archPhrase=547

If your T3 is like my stock beast ( they share the same engine ) then doing the CDI, Mikuni, rejet the carb, UNI air filter and a better exhaust will really wake it up.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #11

the mikuni i bought came with 100 main and 20 pilot..

ordered myself a new fuel filter, 110 main and 25 pilot

and yes doing the following really wakes up the 200cc motor, and it all later on can be transfered over to the 250cc motor.. trust me tho reverse isnt really worth if i you can have that one extra forward gear. typically a 5 spd will have closer gearing then a 4spd.. due to that extra 5th gear

mikuni carb, rejet, intake, exhaust, cdi and performance coil since it gives you 50% more voltage to the plug over the stocker

Old 09-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Yep, sorry i meant 20 pilot, i too went up to the 25 pilot.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:27 AM   #13

Quote:

and yes doing the following really wakes up the 200cc motor, and it all later on can be transfered over to the 250cc motor.. trust me tho reverse isnt really worth if i you can have that one extra forward gear. typically a 5 spd will have closer gearing then a 4spd.. due to that extra 5th gear

mikuni carb, rejet, intake, exhaust, cdi and performance coil since it gives you 50% more voltage to the plug over the stocker
Done the Chikuni carb, the CDI, and an aftermarket airfilter. Wouldn't even run properly until I put the new carb on, and noticed a huge difference with the new CDI, which I just installed. Dunno exactly what to do with the exhaust as yet, haven't decided. Runs pretty good now, think I will leave it alone until next spring.

Quote:
GIO does have a 250cc with reverse that will fit in a beast and probably the T3 as well
Hahaha... yeah, I'm gonna pay $600, when I could buy a new X31 and rip the engine out of it for the same price (less shipping) and still have an enire X31 dirtbike for parts.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterVS
Quote:

Done the Chikuni carb, the CDI, and an aftermarket airfilter. Wouldn't even run properly until I put the new carb on, and noticed a huge difference with the new CDI, which I just installed. Dunno exactly what to do with the exhaust as yet, haven't decided. Runs pretty good now, think I will leave it alone until next spring.

Quote:
GIO does have a 250cc with reverse that will fit in a beast and probably the T3 as well
Hahaha... yeah, I'm gonna pay $600, when I could buy a new X31 and rip the engine out of it for the same price (less shipping) and still have an enire X31 dirtbike for parts.
as for the exhaust, anything will do for the most part. i have a fmf powercore2 which is a 2 stroke silencer that was ment for a 89 cr500r it sounds alright to me. fmf has a silencer that is under 100, but i often wonder what it would sound like with the powercore4 muffler. ebay is another good place to check for a name brand muffler thats used and thus cheap.. got mine for 45 shipped plus another 2.95 to fmf them selves for 2 brand new fmf powercore2 stickers, the ones that come on the side of the mufflers.

another member on here got a yoshi knock off that still looks very very good and would be my 2nd choice if i had to choose between the fmf pc2, fmf pc4 and the yoshi

Old 10-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterVS
Dunno exactly what to do with the exhaust as yet, haven't decided. Runs pretty good now, think I will leave it alone until next spring.
Do you have access to a welder? I posted recently on how to open up a stock Beast muffler for just a couple of dollars.

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...wtopic&t=10760