Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #1

Hello from Orcas Island, Washington

Greetings fellow riders! I've been riding since in the 3rd grade (I'm 46 now) & have owned all kinds of great bikes & scooters. I am currently selling my '01 KTM Duke II (on Ebay if interested) & am very intrigued by the UM SMF200 & the Qlink XF200 as my next bike. I am wondering what experiences, good & bad, you have had w/ either. I am a little nervous about owning a Chinese bike after having a KTM. I'm ready to downsize (I live in a rural area w/ a top speed of 40mph) & think they may be a good affordable option.

Any input you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve

Old 04-26-2009, 11:04 PM   #2

both are good choices i dont know exact prices though the um is korean the qlink is china. hopefully by now going by your experiance you can turn wrenches the china bikes are very much in line with the quality you got back in the 80's from japan, so is the tech. most are simple air cooled motors the zongs are similar (a little too close :wink: ) to the q links and much cheaper than your choices and the people here are having good luck with them if you have more questions feel free to call you can get my info from my profile in short be warned you are not going to have the power you are used to :evil: and you will have to tinker more but its a good thing
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 04-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #3

Re: Hello from Orcas Island, Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoscooterz
Greetings fellow riders! I've been riding since in the 3rd grade (I'm 46 now) & have owned all kinds of great bikes & scooters. I am currently selling my '01 KTM Duke II (on Ebay if interested) & am very intrigued by the UM SMF200 & the Qlink XF200 as my next bike. I am wondering what experiences, good & bad, you have had w/ either. I am a little nervous about owning a Chinese bike after having a KTM. I'm ready to downsize (I live in a rural area w/ a top speed of 40mph) & think they may be a good affordable option.

Any input you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve
Welcome to the forums, Steve!

I don't know if any members here own the UM SMF200. However, one of our forum members, Forchetto, owns the Qlink/Qingqi XF200. I am confident he will soon check in to give you some good advice regarding the XF200.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum Steve.
I'm reluctant to heap any more praise on my Qingqi QM200GY-BA (Qlink XF200). I have already been accused (in other forums) of being either a salesman for Qingqi or a Chinese manufacturers shill and forum infiltrator.

I own a selection of vehicles, including various Chinese bikes. One of the reasons is that their maintenance requirements give me something to do and so avoid those household chores the wife is always reminding me about. The Qingqi has been a great disappointment to me: It's too good, very close to a Japanese bike except for a couple of relatively minor points: The frame paint is rather thin and a couple of spokes have come loose. This means that it gives me nothing to do, apart from modifications and improvements, and of course riding it along our rural Northern Spanish mountain roads.

It has a light and precise feel on its controls and switchgear, a wonderful slick gearbox, very comfortable and reasonably sophisticated suspension, incredibly light and nimble handling, and with a few modifications, great sound and aceptable performance. The technology is virtually all Suzuki and it's in fact made in the same factory that makes lots of Suzukis up to 250 cc and 5 Peugeot scooter models, so the quality of its components and workmanship is quite good. On top of all this the economy is astounding, (3.1 litres per 100km) and therefore the range with its 10.6 litre tank is very good.

I have never owned a Supermoto or moto-cross style bike before and regret not having done so in the past. This bike is a lot of fun and makes me feel like a 14 year old again everytime I ride. Never fail to return home with a wide grin on my face, making my wife wonder what I've been up to...

You can read lots more about this bike at this forum, starting from a factory visit report, through the likely mods and various documents and tips:

http://www.mychinamoto.com

Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
Yamaha Virago XV1100
Triumph Bonneville SE
Qingqi QM110GY
PGO Bug rider 250 Buggy

Old 04-27-2009, 10:56 PM   #5

Welcome, From a Duke to a 200cc, Thats a first.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #6

As had been said before, the Q is a superior machine. A match in quality for any of the Japanese motorcycles for less money. It is not as cheap as the uual ChinaBikes, and that's for a reason.

Welcome to the forum!

We Northwesters seem to be well represented.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:51 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
Welcome!

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter