Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2008, 02:15 AM   #1

Indian v. Chinese

There is an Indian-made scooter called "Stella" at a local bike shop. A new one costs $4000. It has a 150 2-stroke. It's basically a Vespa clone. I was told a 150cc 2-stroke is generally equivalent to double its displacement in a 4-stroke--300cc. This bad boy should really haul. I want it, but the price is kinda steep. Does anyone have anything good to say about it?

Old 06-16-2008, 02:39 AM   #2

Never heard of it. $4k sounds a little steep for anything out of India, or China, for that matter!

Old 06-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #3

I would buy a Kymco 500 for about the same price.

You could also get a used yamaha majesty 400 or 2 china 250s.

Allen

Old 06-16-2008, 09:41 AM   #4

I found a link for it. http://www.genuinescooters.com/scoot...la/stella.html I also found out that the Stella is a licensed by Paccigiio Vespa and parts are plentiful because it's a twenty year old design and it has never stop production. One is basically paying for Italian design. It's also different from chinese large displacement scooters in that the Stella has a big engine in a small scooter.

Quote:
Engine 5-port 2-stroke
Transmission 4-speed manual with "twist grip" shifting
Colors Black, Red, Light Blue, Avacado, Orange
Suspension Gabriel® performance shocks
Tire Size 3.5" x 10" Interchangable
Braking Front Grimeca Hydraulic Disc, 6" Rear Drum
Top Speed 60+ mph
MPG 85+ (150cc)
Warranty 1-Year / 5000 Mile
M.S.R.P. $3,499
*MSRP does not reflect destination or other dealer vehicle preparation charges.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #5

It has a 4-speed manual trans.

Plus sides:
1yr/5000 mile warranty
Parts available.

Down side:
Price?
old tech?

If you like the size of the scooter then there is a plus. The manual trans could be a plus or minus depending if you want to shift or not.

I personnally would rather have a big scoot like a majesty.

Allen

Old 06-16-2008, 10:27 AM   #6

yeah the old school vespas are big in rally's at scoot-dawg, go ask them if its worth the $$$$, to me not so , i'll stay on the up and up , newer styles, i'm not a Chip Foose, i wish tho.

stay new sell more

Old 06-16-2008, 12:46 PM   #7

I saw a TV program where they showed that India imports china bikes for the high end market.

They are perceived to be better than the models from India and command higher prices. I don't know for myself, but that's what the program was saying.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:20 PM   #8

Really, all I can say is it's kinda pretty in a super-retro sort of way. Not $4k pretty, but kind of.

If I were going to spend that kind of coin on a new scoot (Which I wouldn't as I'm rediculously tall, and would look uber-lame) I'd probably look to Korean type of stuff instead, either a Kymco or a Hyosung.

If nothing else, I'd rather spend some money with a company that has an actual Research and Development Department instead of just a Marketing Dept. If you know what I mean?

--Vince

Old 06-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #9

My take is that if a design is being continuously mass produced after 20/30 years, it is a dawn good design. And apparently, a lot of people are buying them over supposedly newer and better scoots. However, I'll pass on it because I can't afford it right now.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #10

I'm not a big scooter fan mostly because I would just look silly riding one.
At $4000 it would have to be gold plated or something since there are many other rides that can be had at or around that price.

The other thing is a if I have to wear a helmet I might as well be on a bigger better fitting motorcycle.IMO

Old 06-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #11

I can tell you one thing... THEY ARE FAST. They have good power and the manual trans works in their favor too.
I agree the price is high... And I would buy a new style scooter myself.
But they are very popular here in Cincinnati Ohio.. They are sold by Metro Scooter, A Genuine Scooter dealer here. they are selling them for $3495.

http://www.metroscooter.com/

For people that like the old style looking scoots.. its a great option... and the quality is very good. They have been in production at that factory non stop... just the name changed when they licenced to continue produciton.

Ken

Old 06-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCheap
I'm not a big scooter fan mostly because I would just look silly riding one.
At $4000 it would have to be gold plated or something since there are many other rides that can be had at or around that price.

The other thing is a if I have to wear a helmet I might as well be on a bigger better fitting motorcycle.IMO
if you think you look silly on one go look at scootdawg, at some of the rally's they have , the people that own'em ,ride'em, are not much to speak of in the looks great on one catagory, i'm 50 and pop belly, so if its cool to them its cool to me 8)

Old 06-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCheap
A little of the topic... but WHY would you NOT wear a helmet on any motorized 2 wheel vehicle. If you fall off at 10MPH and hit your head.. you will be dead or wish you were. I have seen (on a tv show ) a guy fall off a SKATEBOARD hit his head end end up a near vegetable.

Just trying to make you think about it.. I am not a helmet law supporter... I think it should be YOUR CHOICE.

Have a good one.. and ride safe.

ken

Old 06-19-2008, 05:52 PM   #14

The agility of the rider makes a big difference. A clumsy fool could die from tripping over his own feet. An acrobat could bail out of a bike and not get hurt. I say we leave it up the the rider to choose. This is a free country afterall.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:57 PM   #15

One thing I can't figure out?Why is it its the law to ware a seatbelt,but a lot of states say you don't have to use a helmet?

2007 HI-BIRD 250
2007 Vbike V4S 250