Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #1

I hate fixing cars and trucks

Tonto the ranger is stuck in 4WD. It's an electronic shift on the fly 4WD and quite complex. I found a bad electrical connector. I replaced that, and it still does not work. I think it's the trasfer case electric shift motor. $100. I ordered one and hope this is the trick. This is my only winter vehicle, and if I can't get it back into 2WD it will tear it up when the roads dry off, which will be soon...

Some pics of the bad connector. I replaced it. No pics of the finished result. I was in a bad mood! If you all like I will add pics of the shift motor replacement.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:49 PM   #2

Not sure if the Ranger electronic 4WD system is similar to the system my Aerostar had, but my van wouldn't come out of 4WD either. Not a fix by any means, but to get it out of 4WD I ended up pulling a fuse for the 4WD. At least that way I could drive it on the dry pavement without hurting anything. Unfortunately I never did figure out what the problem with it was as the engine died just after I spent $1500 on the front end... :( Hope you get it sorted with a minimum of stress and bruised knuckles.

Cheers,
Stew

Old 11-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #3

If "stuck" in 4WD you can always pull a drive shaft.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #4

A miracle.

I can't explain it otherwise. I thought for sure replacing the plug would work and was surprised when it did not seem to right after the repair.

But when I took the truck out last night to dinner, and this AM to church and shopping, it went in and out of 4WD normally! It will even go into 4 Low which it never did before. I will cancel the order on the servo motor.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #5

I think the microprocessors sometimes take a while to "reset" themselves after you make a change. :roll: I'm glad you solved the problem, Doc!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #6

This system does indeed use a microprocessor. I curse Ford for a complicated system that replaces a simple failsafe lever on the floor. Back in the early 90's pushbutton 4WD was all the rage I guess.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #7

Can it be economically converted to manual? You could also install manual Warn hubs, which are bulletproof by comparison. As well, you wouldn't be turning all of that hardware when in 2H.

Do you really think it would damage a differential if you couldn't switch to 2H on dry pavement? I would have guessed that the diffs are one-leggers.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #8

The guys on the Ranger Forum all lament the electronic shifter. AFAIK no one has engineered a maunal replacement.

The manual says driving in 4WD on non-slippery surfaces wears the tires and the drivetrain. You can feel it 'binding' when you turn. Like an ATV with it's solid rear axle.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:26 PM   #9

Sounds like a manual transfer case and manual hubs would be the only way, if you were so inclined.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-29-2010, 10:17 AM   #10

My 98 F-150 has a manual shift lever, but it still has a servo or something to engage it in 4hi while moving so even the manual shift levers are not fool proof. I hate that. While doing some tree work I ran over some limbs and I guess one of the limbs caught and pulled out some wiring down there. It would only go in and out of 4hi at a standstill instead of on the fly. I plugged it back in and everything started working like normal again.
That was when the truck was only a couple years old like back in 2000.

For what it's worth, I use my 4 wheel drive thru out the year and it never binds or has any problem going in and out of 4hi or 4low, yet I've driven plenty of other 4x4's that's hard or just won't get in or out of 4 wheel drive and all those trucks only see 4 wheel drive in the winter. I think it's important to engage the 4wd a few times thru out the year. Even if it's just for a few minutes on a gravel road or something like that.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #11

Lego, if your transfer case is servo-controlled, then it would seem to not be a fully manual box, especially if you can shift on the fly. In the old days, you had to come to a complete stop, get out and lock / unlock the hubs and then shift the transfer case.

I'd have no problem doing that, for the amount of times per year that you actually shift in and out of 4WD. The old system is very reliable, and the hubs aren't connected when not in use, saving a bit of fuel.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:15 AM   #12

My new practice will be to switch it on and off once a month or so while going in a straight line. Drove it to work today and it remains 100%, thank God, I think it's fixed.

This truck sees little use. Less than 3,000 miles a year. I only use it in bad weather, and for towing the bikes, boat, or ATVs.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:25 AM   #13

Just take out the rear drive shaft and run it as a front wheel drive :wink:

Old 11-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #14

I actually saw a girl do that on the side of the road when the rear u-joint grenaded on her. Sexiest thing I ever saw.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I actually saw a girl do that on the side of the road when the rear u-joint grenaded on her. Sexiest thing I ever saw.
That would have done it for me too! If she could shoot and ride a bike I'd be in love!