Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #1

Engine Upgrade 110cc Mini Beast

Well. I am looking for a project, I just love wrenching on my atv. I want to upgrade the engine or the headers to get more performance. I wanted to know if a bigger engine would fit and how are big bore kit's.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:32 PM   #2

I think they are up to about 170cc on the horizontal honda clone engines.

You can buy the stroker/big bore kits or just get a bigger engine.

Not sure how much you really want to do.

Allen

Old 08-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #3

You gotta remember this engine started as a 50cc, Honda took it as far as 90cc, and I have seen them out to around 150cc (170cc with a different cylinder/head, Kawasaki I think). The bigger you get this engine the less time between rebuilds. I *think* without getting past reliable maybe 125cc. If money is no object, personally I would start with an OEM Honda (not because the Chinese copies are no good, but they are not as good, as OEM) then I would google "Takegawa", and run myself out of money.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #4

I have never looked into any 'kits' for the motors but I would expect any 'big bore' kit would require block machining to open the cylinder. In my humble experience, finding a machine shop with the tooling to work on small sizes like that is difficult. We used to 'hand hone' harley cylinders, however these would start with a fairly large diameter hole to begin with. (and by hand hone I mean using the rod resizing machine to open the hole with specialized stones, not one of those flimsy things you hook onto the end of a drill)

I only knew of one shop in the lower mainland of BC that had the capability to do this type of work, however granted it was not our metric and didn't care to look into it. This shop could pretty much set their rates and you're more likely better off to buy a new motor, or sell and upgrade your atv.

Perhaps the kit comes with the piston, rings and cylinder pre punched out.

Stroker kits would be different, as I would expect they would come with the new crankshaft and rod length to fit the length of your cylinder. I would mention Yozalo that working on internals on engines may require tools you may not have, and that are difficult to come by. Even when we had our shop, working on many different kinds of engines, we weren't 'equipped' to deal with motorcyle engine rebuilding tools. This is with a shop equipped with probably $500,000 worth of tools and machinery.

I say this because in my opinion you'd be better to buy a whole engine that will fit, or sell your 110cc and buy a 200cc or larger whole quad. You do have a unit that is really designed to fit 7-12 year olds, so increasing performance may be challeging...and if you did manage to make a new motor fit, your brakes and suspension might not be sufficient to handle the increased speed and acceleration, causing you to hurt yourself.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:15 PM   #5

TurboT is right on the better to upgrade the quad than the engine. If you want I would stick with a 125 max. The larger ones really are pure race engines and the $$$ goes up too. A 125 can be found resonable. Also finding an e-start version will be difficult since most of the engines are used in pit bikes. I know some of those little quads have no room for a kick start or a shifter.

Allen

Old 08-01-2009, 10:01 PM   #6

These guys have it all figured out. TurboT has tons of experience in building engines, and he's absolutely correct on the special tools bit.

katoranger is correct on the kick start issue. It would be a real struggle to make it all work. A bigger quad is the way to go.

I hot rodded my daughter's 50cc quad to the point where it was twitchy at full throttle. Not good.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-01-2009, 10:22 PM   #7

I'll most likely sell my atv. Not my kind of work to be dealing here. :roll:

I'll most likely get a 200cc. I'll keep this atv for now. I will probably keep this baby for a year since it is pretty new and sell it next year.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:30 PM   #8

Once you get through the PDI process, you'll have a great time on a 200.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #9

You could try fit 125cc SEMI AUTO motor from T3 Rebel. They should work on mini beast or mini hummer quads.

Or you could also install 110cc manual motor. That will give you tons of low end torque.