Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2021, 01:50 PM   #1

Thread for pics and trails

I have been exploring a small park North of Kansas City. Quads drift around these woods and have left awesome trails for us! Perfect weather today ~64 degrees and sunny! I need to get a helmet cam to post some video. There are short and kind of steep rocky sections for some challenge, a few mucky spots to get through, and a creek bed to ford. There are at least three ways to get into it from the pavement. Packed clay for the most part, sandy and pebbles or flat shale in the creek bed. Just a perfect place to tool around through the trees on a Saturday morning!

I am impressed with the Storm. It's quiet but makes plenty of torque for this kind of riding. I can get air on the front tire easily on the bumps. Standing up is comfortable, the pegs and handlebars are perfectly positioned for my build (5'10"). The suspension is nice and taught, and I have hit some big rocky bumps, and it's very stable even with these dual sport tires. I've dumped it a couple of times, but left my levers a bit loose so they just twist away and no damage. I don't think I am going to change the gearing. I can spend lots of time in second gear on this stuff, but can drop to first for the tight passages, mud, and steeper rocky places. Nice

[IMG]McHenrypark by gs1100ghoot, on Flickr[/IMG]

I found a few small lakes with water birds and croakers:

[IMG]HiddenLake by gs1100ghoot, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by Thumper; 04-03-2021 at 06:40 PM.

Old 04-05-2021, 04:47 PM   #2

http://http://http://. I did a little mild off road today. It is the first time I have had my bike off road since I geared it up , and I regret gearing it quite so high. I will be reducing it back down some. On bumpy terrain it is hard to go as slow as I would like sometimes. It reminds me of comparing an old 2WD truck with a 3 speed to one with a bulldog 4 speed. Bulldog is useless 99 percent of the time, but it is nice to have when you do need it. I guess one needs to experiment some to find a satisfactory gear ratio.

Old 04-06-2021, 10:46 AM   #3

What's your current gearing?

"Do Wheelies and Forget your Feelies"

"If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?" -unknown

Old 04-06-2021, 12:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyd View Post
What's your current gearing?
It is now 42 rear/ 17 front (2.47-1). I weigh 250 lbs. I have used the 42/ 15 (2.80-1), and the factory 47/17 (2.70-1), and favor the lower gearing. I like to be able to crawl if I need to, and to be able to take off from a stop on a slope without having to almost slip the clutch. I do run 55 on the sections of roads that allow it, but never for long spells. I may get a 16 front, and see if I can split the difference.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:23 PM   #5

I'm pretty happy 3:1 for single track tight trails and some back roading.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 04-06-2021, 01:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTaoRider View Post
I'm pretty happy 3:1 for single track tight trails and some back roading.
I could enjoy 3.00-1 gearing, but it would be a little low for my running back, and forth on the main roads. I just can't deal with the 42/17 set. I realize that my weight plays a part as well, but I don't think the bike with such gearing, and a lighter rider could crawl good enough to cross rough ground with dips in it very well. I noticed yesterday that when I would slow down as slow as I could go that when I did get back in the throttle it wanted to catch really harshly. I figure it would be hard on them rear sprocket studs that give folks trouble.

Old 04-06-2021, 01:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
I could enjoy 3.00-1 gearing, but it would be a little low for my running back, and forth on the main roads. I just can't deal with the 42/17 set. I realize that my weight plays a part as well, but I don't think the bike with such gearing, and a lighter rider could crawl good enough to cross rough ground with dips in it very well. I noticed yesterday that when I would slow down as slow as I could go that when I did get back in the throttle it wanted to catch really harshly. I figure it would be hard on them rear sprocket studs that give folks trouble.
Most of my road riding doesn't have me going more than a couple miles over 55mph and I doubt I ever get over 45mph on the trails. I'm about 185lbs.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 04-06-2021, 02:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
It is now 42 rear/ 17 front (2.47-1). I weigh 250 lbs. I have used the 42/ 15 (2.80-1), and the factory 47/17 (2.70-1), and favor the lower gearing. I like to be able to crawl if I need to, and to be able to take off from a stop on a slope without having to almost slip the clutch. I do run 55 on the sections of roads that allow it, but never for long spells. I may get a 16 front, and see if I can split the difference.

Gotcha, so I'm going to be setting up my Hawk with 16/45 which is 2.81-1. I'm 220lbs. I'm hoping for decent off road performance but the ability to zip down a 55mph road for 5 or 6 miles

Splitting the difference and going to a 16 might be a good compromise in your case. Front sprockets are cheap I'd give it a go.

Old 04-06-2021, 03:12 PM   #9

need to count teeth

Mine is OEM, haven't changed anything on the bike. 2020 Bashan Storm DB-08-250 is the model. I will count them tonight to be certain. I am not pushing the engine much. I just want to get it broken in and adjust the valves. I know some people do them right away, but I know that they'll wear in over the first few hundred miles anyway, and my valve adjustment will last longer if I wait a bit.

I can get going right next to a steep pitch from stop on the trail, which is really useful sometimes. It feels like it goes close to 50mph without really winding it out, but it's got no tach and I don't really trust the speedometer accuracy. I need to find one of those speed check things that the sheriff/State Police set up once in a while and make some passes. I also don't trust the odometer. It seems like kilometers (racking up QUICKLY), not miles. I do have a handheld tach which I use for chainsaws, but it would be nice to have a dedicated tach next to the Speedo. Any suggestions?

Old 04-06-2021, 03:27 PM   #10

Check out this thread for some ideas, and someone had a cluster for sale at a good price, I dunno if they sold it or not but have a look -

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=28425

Old 04-07-2021, 10:23 PM   #11

I looked at aftermarket tachometers. Lots of options. There is plenty of room for one right to the left of my speedo, and there are some nice analog or combo analog/digital versions. Most have a headlight connect for led backlighting too. Not making the decision just yet.