Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2021, 04:24 PM   #1

Erratic Speed Odometer ?

I was out to the farm on my bike today (Brozz250) , and on the way back I noticed that when I would open my bike up on the straight stretches, like fully accelerating from around 40mph to about 55mph, that my speedO would randomly flash high numbers , like 75, and 82 , while accelerating, and then once my speed became steady it would display as normal. I have never messed with the front wheel since I assembled it. I used red wheel bearing grease that I have on hand when I did assemble it. Could it be working it's way onto the pick up for the speed O ? I didn't notice it doing it anymore after I ran it at a more consistent speed . Is this normal, and something that I may have just missed? My bike has a little under 400 miles on it now.

Last edited by Bill Hilly; 04-05-2021 at 09:17 PM.

Old 04-05-2021, 09:39 PM   #2

My Brozz 250 did the same thing when new. Speedometer was fine until I hit about 5000 rpm and the Speedo went nuts. Dropped below 5000 rpm and all was good. I contacted Jeff at Peace Sports. He had me try a few things that didn't help (Check wiring connections on cluster). He contacted Bashan and they said to replace the instrument cluster. He sent a new one out under warranty and I installed it. Presto! Problem solved. I have put over 3000 miles on the bike with no further issues.

Old 04-05-2021, 10:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrozzBoyTn View Post
My Brozz 250 did the same thing when new. Speedometer was fine until I hit about 5000 rpm and the Speedo went nuts. Dropped below 5000 rpm and all was good. I contacted Jeff at Peace Sports. He had me try a few things that didn't help (Check wiring connections on cluster). He contacted Bashan and they said to replace the instrument cluster. He sent a new one out under warranty and I installed it. Presto! Problem solved. I have put over 3000 miles on the bike with no further issues.
Thanks, I will check the connection, and probably contact Jeff either way ,just to kind of let him know of the issue ,just in case it happens again. When mine acted up today ,it acted a little differently than yours. I did first notice it in about the same rpm range as yours, but mine only did it as I was building speed. Instead of the speed O registering 45- 46- 47....Mine would register something like 45- 56- 78..., until I got to a steady speed, and then it read what I assume was normal. I don't keep my eyes on the speed O at all times, but after a pretty steady run of about a mile, or better at about 55 down the straight stretch by Elk Fork lake, I didn't notice it doing it again anymore today . I still had about 11, or 12 miles to go .One more fairly short curvy stretch, and then onto RT 33 for 5 miles to town, and through town, and then another 2.5 miles on 33/62 , and then a couple miles on RT87. I was running speeds from 20 mph to 55 mph. It may have been a fluke, but I would hate to not deal with it now, while under warranty, and have it permanently fail after warranty expires.

Old 04-06-2021, 04:02 AM   #4

I had to live with an erratic speedometer/odometer ever since I got my Zong second (or third...) hand. When I got it, the odometer was reasonably accurate but the speedometer was waaaay too optimistic, showing e.g. 110 km/h when cruising with 80-90 km/h.

Things got weirder since: I replaced the tires it came with new ones, and the front one was not exactly the same size as stock: 3.00-18 (new) vs 100/90 (stock) was about 7-8% smaller in diameter. That alone resulted in a 7-8% bump in odometer and speedo readings. The speedo was now WAAAAAY optmistic, easily pegging at 140+ km/h if I tried a top speed attempt, and showing 120 km/h during cruising (which, I think, might have had a part in ultimately breaking it).

At some point however something must have broken inside, and after a removal to service the speedo cable and investigate a squeaking noise, it lost a lot of oomph. The speedo needle now has a bit of a bounce but on the upside it's now actually pretty accurate (90 km/h is 90 km/h, 100 km/h is 100 km/h), but the odometer has shifted closer to a 20:23 ratio aka 20 indicated km are 23 real km. For quick mental calculations, 7:8 works as well

Of course that increases the risk of running out of gas if you don't "recalibrate" your interpretation of the odometer from time to time...ask me how I know

And who knows where it will go next...

Old 04-06-2021, 09:09 AM   #5

The speedo on my 2020 Brozz 250 was consistently off since new. Optimistic is a good word. It would show 60 when a GPS would show 52 - 53. I purchased a compensating device called a Speedodrd, (Honda H1). It was $70, but I thought worth it because it being off so much was driving me nuts. I had to change pins on the connections to get it wired correctly. It has been working fine. I set it to report 12% lower which puts it close to the GPS reading.

It has on occasion at start up, randomly start displaying numbers, racing up to 6 digits, and adding miles. It will stop if I shake the bars, and lock up the front brake or shut it off of course. Nothing seems loose, and the sensor doesn't have a bunch of grease loaded in it.

I talked to the company and they said Chinese bikes are notorious for "dirty" electronics. He suggested I add a .01uf capacitor. I'm not sure exactly how to do that so it's still just a suggestion at this point. I have noticed it is not happening with the same frequency as before. So less of an issue. I do really like having a speedo that is close to accurate. Kind of a pet peeve I guess. My truck is off too. When it shows 45, it's really doing 42 - 43. My wife's Camry is dead on. And my 74 MGB is dead on also through a completely mechanical system.

Interesting to hear of other problems with the speedo.

John