Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2010, 10:37 PM   #1

What's in your tool kit?

Mizke mentioned in another thread that he keeps zip ties in his tool kit so I was thinking it would be intersting to see what we bring along, if anything. :idea:

On long trips with my street bikes, and with the ATV (I just tie the kit in my backpack to the rack I bring a small plastic tool box with basic wrenches (make sure there's an 8mm, some cheap sets don't have one and neither does the tool kit on Q), tape, zip ties, tire irons, spare tubes (also a plug kit for the ATV or the Gold WIng), a small electric compressor, vise grips, pliers, some wire, a flashlight, a knife, a socket set, some screwdrivers, a small tube of grease, some Goop (a good glue/temporary gasket maker), latex gloves, and a large adjustable wrench for the axle bolts. Also some kneadable epoxy/JB Weld.

I also carry a bottle of water, some cereal bars, matches, mylar blanket, chain lube and some oil, and a tow strap or rope..

Granted not all of this stuff goes on every trip, and sometimes some of it stays in the truck if it's a loop type off road ride, but that's my kit. :P

It stays in a cheap backpack, ready to go.

Finally there's my KelTec but that stays in my right front pocket.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #2

Lol! I had to google Keltec... Then I went Ooooohh, got it! Our countries are so different . As far as tool kits are concerned, I carry the factory one and some zip ties on my KLR. The KLR seems just as prone to dropping fasteners as a china bike. Actually... It has a lot in common with a chinabike! Even made in Thailand which is closer to China than Japan

Cheers!
Stew

Old 08-11-2010, 11:45 PM   #3

Without googling, my guess a KelTec is a gun, for the rabid bears in the wild of course.

When I go riding I just bring W&G along, he is a walking tool.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Without googling, my guess a KelTec is a gun, for the rabid bears in the wild of course.

Wait.. that came out wrong.. 8)

I think I meant to say he brings all the tools.. right..

Old 08-11-2010, 11:55 PM   #5

Quote:

Lol!!! I'm tellin! I'm tellin!

Old 08-12-2010, 12:59 AM   #6

I saw it. :roll:

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-12-2010, 02:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Without googling, my guess a KelTec is a gun, for the rabid bears in the wild of course. ...
You are correct.
Quote:
...When I go riding I just bring W&G along, he is a walking tool.
Ouch!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-12-2010, 04:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Yeah I don't think I heard the end of this. Payback is a bitch.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:54 AM   #9

the zip ties are zip tied to the back side of my front motor mount..

most times i just keep a stanly socket wrench set.. it has a socket for every single nut and bolt on my quad.. i used to bring the set in the hard black plastic case.. but a friend gave me a tool kit back pack.. its like a tool box in the form of a back pack, a nice soft back pack. so it stays in there.. and if i ever to get to go on a like camping/riding trip. a small pistol, hunting knife which has a small fishng kit in the handle, box of matches in a zip lock bag, spice for cooking, extra cell phone battery and a solar cell phone charger, flash light and spare batteries also have a solar aaa/aa battery charger..

ive always wanted to go a on a survival campiing trip, cant you tell..

Old 08-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #10

I have the factory tool kit in it's stock location. I also have a small day pack (think minature back pack) that is fstened to the rear rack. it has a few diferent sized pouches that are handy for holding things. One of the first tools i added to it was the small bicycle pump off of my mountain bike. Over the years i have added a few nuts and bolts. 2 master links, valve stem tool. tire preasure guage. a package of glass cleaner wipes for the face shield, a couple of bungee cords, and a ball point pen.

I usually dont get really far from home. If I do I make sure someone is ablbe to come get me and the bike.

Things i might add in the future: tire patches, spoons, chain breaker and some extra chain, safety wire, led flashlight.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Yeah I don't think I heard the end of this. Payback is a bitch.
Not likely...I see large amounts of W&G's favorite beverage... :wink:

Old 08-13-2010, 01:44 PM   #12

I've only got my road bike, I just carry whatever came with the bike.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #13

Re: What's in your tool kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
On long trips with my street bikes, and with the ATV (I just tie the kit in my backpack to the rack I bring a small plastic tool box with basic wrenches (make sure there's an 8mm, some cheap sets don't have one and neither does the tool kit on Q), tape, zip ties, tire irons, spare tubes (also a plug kit for the ATV or the Gold WIng), a small electric compressor, vise grips, pliers, some wire, a flashlight, a knife, a socket set, some screwdrivers, a small tube of grease, some Goop (a good glue/temporary gasket maker), latex gloves, and a large adjustable wrench for the axle bolts. Also some kneadable epoxy/JB Weld.
Duck tape, baling wire, vise grips and "a large adjustable wrench", what else is there???

Working up to something resembling Doc's.
I started out with what ever was on the bike, then found out that ain't "add-e-kwate" when I had to get the fairing off a few miles from home and didn't have the proper tool in the factory kit... :x
I've pared it down to the tools that I routinely use for general maintenance on the bike. My Skorpion uses a lot of allen key bolts, so a set of those, for sure. Ditto on the 8mm wrench... :wink:
I add things as I find a need in the garage and think I might be doing this on the road.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #14

I'm gonna add some assorted nuts and bolts.

Like I said the kit goes in the Wing's saddlebag on long trips, on the ATV's rack, but is too big to ride on Q. In that case it usually stays on the truck and I just bring necessities. Maybe I'll get a fanny pack.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #15

Re: What's in your tool kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR
Duck tape, baling wire, vise grips and "a large adjustable wrench", what else is there???
Don't forget a hammer, and a bottle of dubya dee forty! :P