Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2010, 02:03 AM   #1

laptop caught a nasty virus today

so not trying to say anything bad but i had clicked the image shack links to a new members pictures of his bike..

while loading the first picture/link i can hear my laptop screaming up doing stuff as normal..but 5 minutes later it was still working to load said picture on the image shack site.. then all of a sudden the usps.com page i had opened started showing all those red x's where their pictures and icons should be.. then when i hit refresh i got a page that said could not be opened. then a antivir as it said icon popped up like it was scanning my latptop but the thing is i didnt download the program.. it would not let me open task manager, pretty much anything i tried to do with a web page or opening a program like add or remove programs it would say whatever the program was .dll could not be opened it is infected.. then it kept asking me to buy the antivir program..

luckly i was able to restart and open the list of process and find a few that i did not know what they are before the virus program was loaded and working.. told them to close and the antivir program went away.. then i could run a virus scan using trendmicro antivirus i use..

all seems well but it had to have come from some link on this site, i only had 3 windows open gmail,usps track and confirm page, and chinariders.. and the only stuff i was opening at the time was the image shack links to view pictures of the new guys bike... btw the picture never finish loading...

so just saying you guys might want to run a antivirus scan tonight...not trying to say anything bad about the person and im not going to point fingers, but i was opening the links they posted to show pictures of the their bike when all this happened..

Old 08-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #2

no problems here.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #3

None here either, and I've clicked about every link on this site . I know the thing you are talking about though, it's not actually a virus but malware and keeps wanting to scan your drives because it tells you that you are "infested". It's a scam to get you to send them money so that their program can fix your computer (which doesn't actually have a virus anyway). Simply close the browser and reboot your computer, all will be fine.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #4

glad your pc's are all good.. i dont want to think it came from here as i have not any other problems clicking links on this site.. but this happened after clicking a link on this site..

but its all good now

Old 08-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #5

I've had issues with imageshack hosted files not loading and sending my computer into a screaming turtle. Never had any virus warnings from it.

I find IE and imageshack are not a good combination.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:45 PM   #6

i didnt want to say i for sure got it from a link here, it could have come from anywhere.. but it started to happen after i clicked that link.. just wanted to warn every one to run a virus scan to see if anything had popped up on their pc..i dont click random links i dont know anything about. dont download anything not even music...

Old 08-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
I've had issues with imageshack hosted files not loading and sending my computer into a screaming turtle. Never had any virus warnings from it.
I find IE and imageshack are not a good combination.
DITTO. I've been bitten by Imageshack before.
I usually find those "virus" warnings after the 12 yr old runs a marathon "Naruto" session, also...
Bill

Old 08-09-2010, 03:55 AM   #8

Virus?......Virus program?.......IE?

What are these things?

(just 3 more reasons to buy a Mac)

Old 08-09-2010, 03:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveeen
Virus?......Virus program?.......IE?

What are these things?

(just 3 more reasons to buy a Mac)
hahaha.. awesome..

Reason 3 can be sidestepped. I only use IE for Chinariders solely for the fact it doesn't remove the unread posts from the cache before I read them. All other browsing done via CHROME.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:56 AM   #10

Macs are overpriced and it's all based on marketing not on any sort of product superiority. In my opinion...

Old 08-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Macs are overpriced and it's all based on marketing not on any sort of product superiority. In my opinion...
There is not a Mac in my building that cost over $100 (3 power macs and a mini), there is a dumpster find (P4) that runs OSX, and 2 sub $100 P4's that run W7.

Cost here is about even.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveeen
There is not a Mac in my building that cost over $100 (3 power macs and a mini), there is a dumpster find (P4) that runs OSX, and 2 sub $100 P4's that run W7.

Cost here is about even.
I suspect you are the exception and not the rule. Most Mac owners buy their gear from Futureshop etc... and pay ~50% more for their hardware than non-Mac users. Of course they pay for the savings via more Windows headaches and lousy performance.

I run Linux on cheap hardware. It's a win-win.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 08-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #13

I run an ebay off lease dell with XP pro. Love it. Had it for years. Never a problem. Cost under $120. I did upgrade the ram and added a second hard drive.

Dumpster finds even better.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #14

I never have windows headaches or bad performance issues... I also don't have problems finding any software I could need, for less money or open source, as well as games.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
I never have windows headaches or bad performance issues...
How would you know? Just the running of anti-virus software (in the background) can eat up 25-50% of your "performance".

For many years I was not a "believer", my first "modern" computer was a windoze machine, home constructed out of parts, over 20 years ago, and I would have remained a windoze user, if it hadn't become fashionable, for any 14 year old kid, to either: hack my box, or embed a virus in just about anything.

BTW, I end up with Macs no one seems to want (or can "fix").