Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2023, 01:14 PM   #1

Lifan > KTM!

Ladies and Gentlemen, let us delve into the ongoing debate between Lifan and KTM motorcycles. While KTM may offer top-notch performance and durability, it is often accompanied by a hefty price tag. On the other hand, Lifan offers a more cost-effective solution for those seeking an adrenaline-fueled ride.

One argument in favor of Lifan is that their lower price point enables individuals to invest in and maintain their motorcycle, thereby developing their mechanical skills. In doing so, they engage in a process of hands-on learning and practical application, enhancing their knowledge and understanding of the inner workings of a motorcycle. This, in turn, leads to an increase in their cognitive abilities as a result of neural plasticity.

Neural plasticity refers to the brain's ability to adapt and change throughout an individual's life. Engaging in activities such as maintaining a motorcycle not only enhances one's mechanical skills but also provides a unique opportunity for continuous learning and growth. With each repair, adjustment, and modification, individuals have the chance to expand their knowledge and deepen their understanding of the mechanics behind the motorcycle.

Moreover, by having to work on their motorcycle, individuals have the opportunity to develop their problem-solving skills, decision-making abilities, and critical thinking. They are faced with challenges and must find creative solutions, allowing them to apply their newly acquired knowledge and grow both mentally and mechanically.

In contrast, those who opt for a KTM motorcycle may miss out on these opportunities for growth and development. As the KTM is known for its durability, individuals may not be required to make repairs and modifications, thus missing out on the learning opportunities that come with hands-on maintenance.

In conclusion, while KTM motorcycles may offer top-notch performance and durability, Lifan offers a cost-effective alternative that provides individuals with the opportunity to engage in a process of continuous learning and growth through the maintenance and repair of their motorcycle. By having a Lifan, individuals not only save money but also enrich their minds through the process of neural plasticity. So why settle for a KTM when you can have it all with a Lifan?

Old 02-12-2023, 02:02 PM   #2

i Would put money on the fact you have never owned a KTM (or any other high end new 4 stroke dirt bike ).They require more maintenance ,rebuilding ,replacement than any China bike I have ever dealt with ,and all the parts are expensive .We easily spend an hour in the shop for every hour we ride our racebikes .

Old 02-12-2023, 03:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
i Would put money on the fact you have never owned a KTM (or any other high end new 4 stroke dirt bike ).They require more maintenance ,rebuilding ,replacement than any China bike I have ever dealt with ,and all the parts are expensive .We easily spend an hour in the shop for every hour we ride our racebikes .
I actually did not write that block of text. The ChatGPT Artificial Intelligence wrote it. I've been experimenting with it recently. You could just as easily have it write a whole block of text about why KTM is superior, etc. I should have made it clearer that it's kind of in jest. The power of this tool is quite remarkable and to be honest, I am surprised we have access to it. They did recently create a paid version, which removes some limitations and allows priority access to the service. Here is a poem I just had it write about why KTM is far superior to Lifan and how Bigfoot could be involved:

KTM motorcycles reign supreme,
With power and speed, they do gleam,
While Lifan motorcycles take a back seat,
Their performance just can't compete.

The design of KTM is second to none,
Built for performance, it's just begun,
With features that make it stand apart,
It's the motorcycle that truly stole our heart.

But what could be the reason why,
KTM motorcycles leave others by and by?
Could it be that Bigfoot's involved,
His magic touch, he must have solved?

For legends say that Bigfoot roams,
The forests, mountains and hills he calls home,
And when it comes to motorcycles, he knows,
That KTM's the one, this we suppose.

So when it comes to choosing the right ride,
KTM's the choice, on this we decide,
With Bigfoot's blessing, it's a no brainer,
KTM motorcycles will always be a winner!

Old 02-12-2023, 03:52 PM   #4

I need your boots, your clothes, and your LIFAN motorcycle!

2020 Viper TXM200R - A clone of 1982 Honda CM125C, powered by 200cc CG thumper. Mods: Windshield, leather panniers, kickstand, LED Headlight & Fog lights.

Old 02-12-2023, 04:25 PM   #5

Yo listen up y'all, it's time to get ill,
I'm about to break down these two dual sport wheels,
The Hawk and the Lifan, two beasts on the street,
With engines that scream and the power they meet.

The Hawk, it's a monster, it's mean and it's rough,
It's got that aggressive style, that's enough,
It dominates the roads, ain't no one gonna stop,
It's a beast on two wheels, and it never pops.

But the Lifan, it's different, a subtle dude,
It may not look like much, but it's all good,
With a solid reputation, it's got the skills,
It'll leave you in awe, with its solid wheels.

But they both got that fire, that engine that growls,
And when they hit the road, they both show their scowls,
The Hawk may take the lead, but the Lifan's not far,
It'll ride side by side, and leave you with a scar.

So let's give it up for these two bikes of might,
With their engines that rumble and gears that ignite,
They conquer the roads, and explore what's untold,
They give us the riders, tales to unfold.

Old 02-12-2023, 11:50 PM   #6

Apples and oranges. People who spend less than 2 grand on a bike are not expecting what they may get for $10,000.00 more.

I have many KTM's around my area I see fairly regularly. Most are happy campers.

That said, they seem to have taken a big dive in QC in recent years. The older KTM's seem to be plugging along as normal. The newer ones have seen a few issues. As an example, my friends 2022 KTM 1250 Adventure, the top of the line and VERY expensive, has been nothing but trouble. It's been in the shop four out of the six months he's owned it, at that time, and it has less than 500 mile so it, so far. He can't even get it broke in.

I'm not talking about catastrophic failures. It's been leaks....of ever fluid, so far, some multiple times. LED screen failures, and running issues. He's not happy.

I haven't seen him since the Winter weather hit, but I'll be curious to see how things are going for him. He spent HUGE bucks on this bike. I hope it works out for him. It is a beautiful bike.

Simply put, I'd expect much more regarding quality, if I spent well over 12 grand on a bike. My QLink XP200 has performed flawlessly, and has not given me one problem since 2009.....and it was 1750.00 OTD.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-14-2023, 10:08 AM   #7

once again I must reiterate that this post was meant to be light hearted. I am a former GY-5 owner and soon to take possession of another Chinabike, but I am unfortunately a bit addicted to this ChatGTP thingy and as a result, I've been creating alot of things like this. Its also fun to argue with it and attempt to change its "mind?" hehe. You can have it write pro and con articles about pretty much anything prior to 2021.

Old 02-14-2023, 10:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post

That said, they seem to have taken a big dive in QC in recent years. The older KTM's seem to be plugging along as normal. The newer ones have seen a few issues. As an example, my friends 2022 KTM 1250 Adventure, the top of the line and VERY expensive, has been nothing but trouble. It's been in the shop four out of the six months he's owned it, at that time, and it has less than 500 mile so it, so far. He can't even get it broke in.

I'm not talking about catastrophic failures. It's been leaks....of ever fluid, so far, some multiple times. LED screen failures, and running issues. He's not happy.
The biggest quality issues on KTMs in the last 5 to 10 years has been electronics. Especially their displays. They also have one of the worst warranties when it comes to covering said electronics too. A friend of mine has gone through 3 TFT dashboards on his Duke in 2 years.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 02-14-2023, 11:19 AM   #9

A friend of mine has a Beta 390 and recently had an electric harness issue that became super involved to repair and after one of the rides we did he wound up breaking down and couldn't restart the bike due to the issue and had to have it towed. It was funny to hear him praising my China bikes to be more reliable at a fraction of the cost..

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 02-14-2023, 03:18 PM   #10

status, and money

What motivates people to buy a KTM?

-Some people just have more disposable income/cash to spend.
-There is also the status/prestige motivation!
-Not everyone does the research before they buy, especially if it is a status-driven purchase

We all know that China bikes can have quality control issues. Most can be dealt with up front, and the overall value AND quality of these bikes has skyrocketed. Dealerships may fix more issues than we know about, and warranty more parts on brand named bikes like KTM???

Chinese brands like GPX, CSC, Kovi (not really Chinese), Kamax, EGL are delivering much higher quality in the midrange/high end off road products (and also adventure sport, dual sport, and road bikes).

You can get an off road Chinese bike that is competitive with KTM 450 already. And you can buy them for half price compared to the KTM. Maybe not quite at the pinnacle of exotic metals for weight savings, but real close. I am going to do it pretty soon. To me, it is a status/prestige purchase as well... THAT"S RIGHT- look at my Chinese dirt bike, and drool!!

Old 02-14-2023, 04:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post

-Some people just have more disposable income/cash to spend.
-There is also the status/prestige motivation!
-Not everyone does the research before they buy, especially if it is a status-driven :
Brand loyalty. Overall performance. Latest technology. Innovative technology. Etc.

High end bikes do sometimes tend to act as the test platform for tech that is going to work its way down. The Honda DCT transmission system was first developed and run on the DCT version of my Vfr1200f. The vfr1200 was also a new approach to fairing design in terms of aerodynamics, luggage mount system ideas, and a few other new chassis and shaft drive design ideas. That is why the bike was over $15k brand new in 2010, but had very little of the modern flashy tech to go with the price tag. It's an engineering showpiece.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 02-14-2023, 10:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Well, they are top shelf. If I was only going to own one bike, it may be one. I had my eyes on a 390 Duke for a while. It would carve my local canyons brilliantly.

Being an older guy now, when I was younger and an insane MX guy, you either rode a stripped Yamaha Enduro in your local races, or if you worked two paper routes, you could get a Husky, Maico, CZ, or KTM's predecessor, a Penton. Of course, I always rode a stripped Yamaha Enduro....until I got the Husky, which I still have. It really was heads and tails above the rest, to the point of having a bike where I couldn't ride it to IT'S full potential.

If that gap in competition still exists today, I don't know. Even back then though, "Just ride your Yamaha! All those European bikes break all the time and require a ton of maintenance!"

Hind-sight being 20/20....no. The Husky is still one of the most reliable bikes I've ever owned. It always started, always ran, and always did its best under my ass.....but that is back when they were still made by Husky in Sweden.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 02-14-2023, 11:23 PM   #13

Yes. I know the old brands are better built and higher performance capable, but I am talking about the more expensive Chinese dirt bikes. They are getting very good. You've got to be good to push them to their limits and experience that quality.
I can't even push my Templar to it's limits!
My body won't take it!!

Old 02-15-2023, 11:21 AM   #14

Quote:
I can't even push my Templar to it's limits!
My body won't take it!!
LOL! Don't you hate it when your outer-geezer gets beat up by your inner-teenager???

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 02-17-2023, 10:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
LOL! Don't you hate it when your outer-geezer gets beat up by your inner-teenager???
I have to remember this because its true!!!!