Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #1

Honda Style Oil Filter Rotor

Several of us have the Honda style engines, even the Zonshen engine in my Beast is a Honda clone. It occurred to me that China Riders might benefit from some Honda tech.

I was building my son's XR200R in the shop, and I took some photos of the oil filter rotor. It is common to the overhead cam Honda engines, and I only presume that the pushrod engines use the same setup. If not, then the OHC folks here can hopefully benefit.

Here's a shot of an '83 XR200R side cover for China bike comparison:

Here's the same engine with the cover removed. The oil filter rotor is at the upper right with three phillips head screws securing the cover:

Here's the oil filter rotor with the cover removed. If you decide to remove the cover, be prepared to scoop plenty of goo out of it. These old OHC Honda engines carve quite a bit of aluminum with the timing chain slapping around. The aluminum bits get trapped in the rotor. This one looked like it was packed with anti-seize. 8O You can also see the tool that's necessary for removing the oil filter rotor or the clutch. I got mine for around $10 on eBay, and it's made in the USA.

If you chose to remove the entire rotor (not necessary), you'd find a specific washer under the nut that says OUT SIDE. Pay attention to that. BTW, the same nut and washer secures the clutch assembly.

Here's a shot with the oil filter rotor removed:

The Honda clones have the same cleanable mesh oil filter as the Hondas, and when you see aluminum bits in the filter, it's time to clean out the oil filter rotor. Plan on a new side cover gasket and a new oil filter rotor gasket.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-19-2010, 11:46 PM   #2

I got the same tool from 3D cycle but I can't recall what the price was, good to have though...

Old 05-20-2010, 12:58 AM   #3

Thank you for posting the superb writeup, and the excellent photos, WG!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-20-2010, 02:27 AM   #4

You're welcome Spud. I hope to learn that this info is useful on China bike Honda clones.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-20-2010, 07:59 AM   #5

Thanks for the great tip with photos!

Old 05-20-2010, 08:53 AM   #6

Made in the USA. I feel equally good about seeing something that says made in Canada. I know it is probably a quality product.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I feel equally good about seeing something that says made in Canada. I know it is probably a quality product.
So true!

Old 05-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #8

Mmmmm, poutine! I can hear my arteries hardening. My 15yo thinks that's a major food group.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:24 PM   #9

Yeah definitely not recommended for eating on a regular basis...

Old 05-20-2010, 11:31 PM   #10

Jim and WG have added to my cultural literacy; until now, I had never heard of poutine!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-21-2010, 02:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Jim and WG have added to my cultural literacy; until now, I had never heard of poutine!

Spud
Awww duuuude.. Fries with cheese curds and gravy! Something special right there... Thanks Quebec.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:41 AM   #12

..sorry for the thread drift, from oil filters to poutine, something greasy everywhere.

..on to the topic..D, thanks for posting the internals of a bike motor, fascinating for a guy used to V* Chev's and Fords. (and some Dodge's..and John Deere's and Perkins and sheesh even a Hatz single cylinder )
I'm curious on the whole clutch/oil pump spacer issue you posted about, if you could not use some form of spacer on the bottom to push the housing up to clear your Gio clutch? At first I thought well that it would be in the way of the other side of the case, but if the clutch is higher up wouldn't it be in the way too? I know you said you removed some discs for the oil pump etc to make it work.. Hope you're following I'm a bit rambly.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:31 AM   #13

Not sure, but if you space out the oil filter rotor, you may not have enough threading left to put the nut back on?

Old 05-21-2010, 11:47 AM   #14

That's exactly my concern. Also, the shaft that the oil filter rotor mounts on is splined, and I don't want to risk damaging the splines with a flat spacer.

If I could find a later model XR200 ('86 to '02) to look at, I could determine if they use the beefier clutch with a modified oil filter rotor.

One day, I'm gonna remove the side cover of TurboT's Beast to answer my questions. I don't own a bolt in his quad.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #15

Well, let me zip that sidecover off and take some pics.