Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Today, 10:22 AM   #1

Trailmaster TM36 - fuel tank upgrade

Good morning all -

I looked everywhere for info on the TM36, but like the majority of China bikes you need to experiment and test. I searched and searched everywhere for TM36 specs but could not find it, however I found a post on here about the bike being modeled after the 2009-2011 KTM SX. This is actually not true, the bike is modeled after the KTM 350 XCF, I know because I originally purchased an ACERBIS tank for the SX, which is the two stroke bike and it did not fit.

So, I purchased a new tank, the ACERBIS 3.0 gallon tank part number 2375060001. *note* this is an EFI tank. I have not found any info on a carb tank, so I had to modify this one.

https://www.partsgiant.com/images/9Z...duct-large.jpg

Long story short it was about the fit. Anything else can be modified to work and sure enough this was no different. The plastics all line up (mostly except for a fender clip in the front and you’ll need a longer screw and bolt to make it fit.)

Looking at the tank you’ll see the insert for the EFI and two holes at the bottom of the tank. I did not get pictures of the before so my apologies. You’ll need to start with the EFI portion of the tank, which was easiest.

*note* according to ACERBIS the tanks come with all needed to convert this to a carbureted tank, however mine didn’t and it was a pain in the butt to get ahold of anyone to get the stuff.

You will see 4 screws holes on the back of the tank to secure the plate and gasket you’ll be creating. Any 1/8” sheet metal will do and you can buy sheets of gasket material. You will need to trim both to the same size and drill your holes to match the tank. For added security we also caked on liquid gasket under the gasket as well. Below I will provide what we used.

https://cdn-tp3.mozu.com/24645-37138..._1703879152693

Rubber sheet gasket - ACE hardware - $6.59

Galvanized plate - ACE hardware - $2.75

Permatex Liquid Gasket - Ace Hardware - $8.99

Once the plate and gasket are trimmed and drilled. Apply permatex around the hole to help seal. Apply the gasket and plate to the back, do not over tighten.

Let dry for 24 hours or while you work on the bottom two holes.

At the bottom there are two holes for the for the EFI to connect to, you will need to plug these.

We used expansion plugs with liquid Gasket to seal these. We had some leaks, and had to cake the outside in liquid gasket then apply Flex Seal over the op once it dried. I don’t have the exact sizes but I was able to get these at ACE hardware.

*note* another idea was to use to use rubber stoppers, fitting the correct hole size. Drill a pilot hole, (not all the way through but roughly half way) and put a screw in to expand to the hole size. Then use epoxy around it to hold the plug in place.

https://images.thdstatic.com/product...188-64_600.jpg

Once plugged you have to install your petcock. There is a place on the bottom for this on a slightly angled part of the tank. You will need to drill out the hole for the filter so the petcock can I set in. Make sure you have all your gaskets in the correct order! There are two indented circles for drilling your screws into to hole your peacock on. You MUST drill into those as it’s thicker there. Pre drill the holes, then drill into it.

Lastly let everything dry for 24 hours. Then gasoline test it. Mine has held perfectly fine. With no issues and has moved my bike from 1.7 to 3 gallons.

All in it was about $220 to complete.

This is by no means professional, do it at your own risk. Make sure everything seals and enjoy your new tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3747.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	31765   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3736.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	31766   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3737.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	31767   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3745.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	31768   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3743.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	31769  

Last edited by Hyerolla; Today at 12:24 PM.

Old Today, 11:00 AM   #2

Excellent work! Dealing with that fuel pump window is not trivial. I hope it remains sealed for you.

I am sure that there is an Acerbis 3 gallon tank for the older carbed bikes. But it certainly is a pain in the neck finding and matching parts for these bikes.

I just got a quote from Powersports Max for a new wiring harness, $45 including shipping. Nice price, and it is bespoke for this Templar based on the VIN. Then I asked if they had the intake manifold and I got an email from them saying that they will include that as well for the same price. Just tossing it into the package. Nice. I have always had great support from PSM.

Old Today, 11:02 AM   #3

Just going through additional ideas, you could find some plastic fuel tank and plastic weld the plates over the holes and EFI holes. We are going to attempt this on our next bike the Trailmaster TM35 that my brother owns. I’ll update then.