Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2010, 05:10 AM   #1

SPROCKET

been searching around the net for the last hour or so with no luck finding useful information on these. maybe im not wording something right...

pretty much which one would be best to change ? front or rear ? in a nutshell estimation kind of way what would loosing a single tooth or a few teeth do ?

what would you guys suggest for a 200cc quad with a 4 speed ? i have no idea what my top end speed is, but i do know that i really dont want my rpms super high when im crusing around in 4th.. all the more reason to get that 250 i guess since its a 5spd

neways just some general information about sprocket do's and donts..trying to get some more get up and go with out having to rejet my carb since i dont fully understand all of that just yet

Old 08-05-2010, 08:48 AM   #2

Less rpms at high speed does not equal more get up and go.

Less restriction in the exaust will likely require re-jetting.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:04 PM   #3

Think of it this way:

Changing to a smaller rear or larger front will accomplish the same thing.

The reverse is true as well, changing to a larger rear is the same as changing to a smaller front.

What's important to remember is that you're affecting the final drive ratio, and it can be compared with your Mustang. If the ratio number is higher, the gear is lower. A lower gear makes for jackrabbit starts but loses top end. If the ratio number is lower (meaning a higher gear), starting line performance will suffer, but top speed will increase.

I use this chart when selecting sprocket: http://www.jtsprockets.com/fileadmin...tgearratio.pdf

Let's say you have a 15 tooth front and 40 rear sprocket. A quick glance at the chart tells you that the ratio is 2.67:1. That's a setup for land speed racing. If you wanted a little less top speed and more hill climbing power, shoot for something closer to 3.33:1, which would mean keeping the rear sprocket and changing to a 12 tooth front.

Finally, don't choose a front sprocket that is less than 12 teeth. Anything less forces the chain to articulate around a circumference that's too small.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer