Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2018, 11:10 PM   #1

MotorKote Review

I was poking around the interwebs a few weeks ago, and came across a guy that did a MotorKote water challenge. I was intrigued by his testing methodology, and what he eventually wound up doing with this engine (Spoiler alert: he runs water in the crankcase instead of oil!). Here's a link to the original testing video:

Making a long story short, I picked up a bottle of the MotorKote and added the recommended amount to the crankcase of the Hawk (after making sure it was wet clutch safe). I have to say that I'm VERY IMPRESSED with the results. The clutch chatter when I'm first starting out in 1st gear has been completely eliminated! The engine seems to run much more smoothly, cooler, and seems to have a modicum more power (at least on the low end). I haven't done a top speed test yet, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was an increase in the top speed of the bike. I'm so sold on this product that I've already added it to the Suburban (2012 Chevy Suburban - 5.3L V-8) with much the same results. Smoother engine operation, and the on-board average fuel economy display indicates an increase in MPG (tested under city driving conditions, I haven't had it out on the highway yet). I also added some MotorKote to the DR-650 engine today before I went out for some last-minute groceries, and so far the DR is showing the exact same reaction to the MotorKote that the other engines have. I'm taking the DR in to work tomorrow (about 45 miles each way), and will report back on my findings. Just wanted to share this with the group, and hopefully someone out there has also had a positive result from their own experiences with this stuff. BTW, I couldn't find it at any of my local shops. I ordered mine through Amazon.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 05-31-2018, 09:56 AM   #2

I was curious about this products wet clutch capabilities. It's cool to see that it is compatible with a wet clutch. I might have to give it a try.

I remember watching Project Farm's testing and was rather impressed by how well the engine held up once the crank case was drained and it was ran the way it was. The water likely attributed to some of that longevity though, as even though water is a terrible lubricant, it would still keep the metal parts cooler. I wish he would have done a side by side with another engine that had run Motorkote, but was run dry.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-31-2018, 05:45 PM   #3

It works! I added it to the DR, the Hawk, the Suburban, and the 3500W generator we run on our camper. So far everything has had a noticeable positive reaction. The DR doesn't seem like it lugs as much in 5th gear at 50mph, and that's a big deal. So far I am more than a little impressed with this stuff. I'll be putting it in the Ural (it has a dry clutch, but separate housings for the engine and trans) at the next service interval. It's also good for the differential and final drives in the Suburban and Ural, respectively. I'm a 100% convinced convert to the world of MotorKote.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 06-01-2018, 10:32 PM   #4

I went ahead and spent my lunch money on a 32oz bottle - it was only a dollar more than the 16oz on Amazon lol. Put some into my VFR and went for a ride, got it nice and hot

It definitely works. It's a subtle difference, but it's enough to notice if you are familiar with said engine. I am impressed.

My VFR idle has definitely smoothed up a little bit - both in feel through the chassis and sound-, and between 2-3krpm in any gear it pulls much cleaner/smoother than it did before. Couldn't tell much difference in the higher RPM range, but it seemed to be a bit less buzzy.

The bike also shifts noticeably smoother, and the mechanical whine from the motor is actually a little quieter even on a 98 degree day like today.

One thing to be aware of is that Motorkote does contain chlorinated parrafin. This means you will want to change your oil often and religiously, and definitely follow their recommendations on every other oil change. I think I will personally avoid using it after this as I have seen what damage can be done from long term use of said chlorinated parrafin. I would not have purchased it had I known this before. It's what I get for not doing some more digging ahead of time.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:21 PM   #5

Dan, I think that the chlorinated paraffin isn't a huge deal because it's only a small percentage of the total volume of the straight MotorKote, and a smaller percentage again of the total oil volume when properly mixed in the crankcase. I have noticed the Suburban runs much smoother, and that I'm getting an increase of about 0.5MPG with my city driving as well. Doesn't sound like much, but when you consider the 5.3 Liter V-8 has to drag around nearly two tons of American iron, that's really saying something. I'm thinking I'm going to take the Hawk into work on Thursday, so that will allow me to do a couple of top speed runs, and get a better feel for the overall effects. With a small engine like the Hawk's, every little bit helps. I've done about as much as I can with that engine short of mechanical and machine work. I'm perfectly happy with it where it is, so we'll see what the final verdict is.

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 06-07-2018, 07:13 PM   #6

I changed the oil in my FZ1 to synthetic and got the same results as you di with the motorcote Dan. I have been looking at motorcote and bestline additives for a while. I have not seen any proven damage by these products. Just anecdotal theories.

I have no idea what chlorinated paraffin is. Some wax stuff? How might this damage a motor?

Old 06-07-2018, 10:50 PM   #7

TOP SPEED UPDATE:

So I was able to take the Hawk into work this morning. The MotorKote is definitely making a difference. On top of all the benefits I had with it just after adding it and around town, there is a noticeable improvement in the top speed of the Hawk. I used to top out at WOT at about 60-62. I could get that up to about 65 if I tucked in really tight. Now, I can do about 65 WOT, and nearly 72 at WOT and a tuck. I think that once I get more street oriented tires on the bike, that will help, too. The bike still feels like it runs out of legs on the top end, but all in all there is a difference to be felt. I'll need to get some gas either tomorrow or over the weekend. I'll run the fuel economy numbers and see if my MPG's have gone up at all. And the adventure continues

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 06-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #8

You make a good case for it. All the negative stuff I read is from competetors and can find no independent review of it that shows it can damage engines. Surely if folks used it and it messed up their motors there would be a ton of people screaming in all caps on the interwebs

Old 06-08-2018, 08:27 PM   #9

Roundhouse, You're exactly right! I think that if the product is used correctly, there should be no issue. The Project Farm video really does a good job laying out the inner workings of the way the MotorKote adheres and bonds to the metal parts. There's one part where he has the engine torn down and comments that there seems to be a dry film on the metal. As Dan mentioned, water is a terrible lubricant, but it goes a long way towards keeping the parts cool. That's why water had to be added to the test engine four times. I have to travel for work this upcoming week, and the suburban is due for an oil change when I get back. Since I have to crawl under that beast anyway (there is something to be said for that much ground clearance. I haven't had to use a jack to change my oil in over two years) I may as well put some MotorKote in the rear end and possibly the trans, as well. I'm a little on the fence about the trans, but I'll mull it over when I'm travelling next week. In any event, hope this independent review helped out.

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 06-08-2018, 10:20 PM   #10

I would not put anything that modifies friction in the trans or the rear diff if it is limited slip. I read you can put it in both. I have seen no info on either.

While going down the motorkote rabbit hole on the net I found this stuff CleanBoost® EMT which states it has none of those chlorinated hydrocarbons in it. But I cannot find much info on it.

(I have a wrangler and can slide under on my side to change the oil with room to spare.

Old 06-09-2018, 05:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundhouse View Post
I changed the oil in my FZ1 to synthetic and got the same results as you di with the motorcote Dan. I have been looking at motorcote and bestline additives for a while. I have not seen any proven damage by these products. Just anecdotal theories.

I have no idea what chlorinated paraffin is. Some wax stuff? How might this damage a motor?
I already had Honda HP4S full synthetic in the engine.

Paraffin in its natural state is a waxy solid, but can also be dissolved or suspended in solution with other hydrocarbons (oils). In CP's case, it is basically chlorine gas reacted with aromatic (unchained) paraffin solids. The chlorine bonds with the hydrocarbon chain.

Motorkote contains one of the highest levels of chlorine of any engine additive on the market.

The reason this is used as a friction reducer is simple, chlorine is an extremely slippery substance.

This issue with this is that chlorine will react with moisture/condensation, and the resulting reaction creates hydrochloric acid. Over extended periods this can start to essentially dissolve the metallic internal parts of the motor as well as certain types of seal and gasket materials. In short term, no harm can really be done, but over long periods of time failures can result.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:03 PM   #12

Dan that is a really good explanation.

What do you think about this stuff?

CleanBoost® EMT

Old 06-09-2018, 10:09 PM   #13

Cleanboost contains either PTFE or Moly and is not rated for wet clutch operation, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
This issue with this is that chlorine will react with moisture/condensation, and the resulting reaction creates hydrochloric acid. Over extended periods this can start to essentially dissolve the metallic internal parts of the motor as well as certain types of seal and gasket materials. In short term, no harm can really be done, but over long periods of time failures can result.
I can see the condensation issue being something concerning, oh, you know to people who don't live in a desert, but as for me (ahem, living in a desert), it's just not that big of an issue. Also, all my vehicles get used all the time, so there's just not enough of an opportunity for condensation to build up in the engines as they get hot enough regularly enough to vaporize any moisture. On top of that, we never have temperature spreads that hit the dewpoint, so it's even less of an issue. Like I said, initial impressions are that it's a product that actually does what it says (and in today's world, that's worth it's weight in gold), and I'm quite happy with the purchase. I think that over the long term, something else is likely to go bang on my vehicles before an oil additive does any damage. Your mileage may vary, but a special shout out to MegaDan for his expert analysis.

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 06-09-2018, 11:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
I can see the condensation issue being something concerning, oh, you know to people who don't live in a desert, but as for me (ahem, living in a desert), it's just not that big of an issue. Also, all my vehicles get used all the time, so there's just not enough of an opportunity for condensation to build up in the engines as they get hot enough regularly enough to vaporize any moisture. On top of that, we never have temperature spreads that hit the dewpoint, so it's even less of an issue. Like I said, initial impressions are that it's a product that actually does what it says (and in today's world, that's worth it's weight in gold), and I'm quite happy with the purchase. I think that over the long term, something else is likely to go bang on my vehicles before an oil additive does any damage. Your mileage may vary, but a special shout out to MegaDan for his expert analysis.
Where you live definitely has a lower chance for condensation in an engine, but don't also forget that a byproduct of combustion is water vapor, and that water vapor can enter the crank case via blowby, and even the healthiest engine still has a little blowby. You are just in a circumstance that makes potential condensation a smaller concern, but it doesn't eliminate it.