Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
View Poll Results: Which YamaZong color scheme do you prefer?
KTM Orange 15 46.88%
Yamaha Blue 2 6.25%
Honda Red 1 3.13%
Stealth Black 6 18.75%
Desert Tan 5 15.63%
Kawasaki Green 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2009, 07:38 PM   #121

dont worry too much spud, if i understand correct the replacement for your bike is or will be available in other colors. if i understand correctly the one, and only bike in the country now, is blue. hopefully soon they will release one of the prototypes to be tested, who knows maybe we at chinariders will get a first glance and report :wink:
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 11-16-2009, 12:08 AM   #122

pretty SWEET
i want to change the color scheme on my lifan someday but im waiting till i where it in more

Old 11-16-2009, 01:54 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by vet_stingray
pretty SWEET
i want to change the color scheme on my lifan someday but im waiting till i where it in more
Thank you, Vet.

I have the same philosophy as you, Vet. I could easily see the paint fading on my Zong's front fender, but I was not in a hurry to repaint my motorcycle. I waited until a mounting tab broke from my fuel tank plastic. At that time I started to experiment with the tank plastic, and the Clarke XT225 fuel tank. Only after the Clarke fuel tank was mounted did I decide to begin this project. At that point I decided to purchase the Polisport front fender, and select a new paint scheme.

I am now very happy with the appearance of my YamaZong. However, modifying the Zong is certainly part of the fun in owning it! Therefore, I still have a couple more functional modifications I am considering.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-16-2009, 02:34 AM   #124

Looking through my digital photographs, I just discovered a nice pair of “before” and “after” pictures. The photos below document some of the modifications I made to my YamaZong this year. The first photograph was taken this Spring, when the mountains were green.

The second photograph was taken about a week ago, as Idaho prepares for another Winter.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-16-2009, 02:37 AM   #125

Wow, what a difference. Looks much easier to change the spark plug now, too. :wink:

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-16-2009, 03:00 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Wow, what a difference. Looks much easier to change the spark plug now, too. :wink:
Yes, it now is easier to check, gap, and change the spark plug! It is also easier to fill the crankcase with engine oil!

My YamaZong also performs much better. The engine has more power after the switch to the FMF Turbine Core 2 silencer/spark arrestor. Also, the Zong lost 7 pounds when I converted to the Yamaha XT225 exhaust header and FMF silencer!

Also, I did not realize it, but the stock Zong front fender was a bit of a "sail." My motorcycle is now more streamlined, and it seems to be a little more stable at higher speeds without the larger fender grabbing the wind.

Even when fully loaded with gasoline, the Clarke XT225 fuel tank does not feel top-heavy. The YamaZong handles exactly as it did before I switched fuel tanks. I cannot express how much I enjoy carrying the extra 1.5 gallons of fuel! If God is willing, I plan to take a few extended adventures with the Zong next year; I will certainly enjoy having the extra fuel capacity.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-16-2009, 06:21 AM   #127

Quote:
I hope you mean it's a "good" difference, WG!

My YamaZong certainly doesn't look like a $950 motorcycle, does it? Here are some of the current features on my YamaZong:

55W/60W H4 Halogen Headlight
Front Disc Brake
Heavy-Duty, Inverted Forks
LED Turn Signals and Indicator Lights
4.1 Gallon (Advertised) Clarke Fuel Tank
Fiamm 125 dB Horn
Wide, soft, comfortable touring saddle
Fully Stainless Steel Exhaust System
U.S.F.S. Approved, FMF Turbine Core 2 Spark Arrestor/Silencer
Extra-Wide Foot Pegs
Electric Starter, with Backup Kick Starter
Yamaha XT225 shock absorber, with adjustable spring preload and dampening
Yamaha XT225 swingarm, with quality bearings and grease zerks
Alloy Rims (OK, the front rim is currently steel, but it will soon be alloy. )
Heavy-Duty Luggage Rack
DRC Edge 2, LED Tail Light Assembly
Helmet Lock
Tool Kit Holder
Yuasa YB7-A Battery

In addition, the Zongshen 167FML engine, Teikei MV28 carburetor, airbox, and electrical system are virtual clones of the currently produced, 2010 Yamaha TW200 motorcycle.

I love my Zong. After riding it for 21,000 miles, I still consider it an exceptional value.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #128

Different in a good way, for sure. I remember saying that I hereby covet your bike, despite being commanded not to.

I wish that we could buy those where I live. I think that the major hang-up is the plastic tank; the Ministry of Transport would never allow it. It's ok to switch to a plastic tank after you buy it, but it can't be imported that way.

Bummer. :?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #129

Seems that your Canuk politicians go to the same School Of Genius our American ones attend.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #130

Quote:
Different in a good way, for sure. I remember saying that I hereby covet your bike, despite being commanded not to. ...
Thank you, WG. I know what you meant; I was just kidding you a little.

I wish to thank you once again for all your excellent suggestions during this project, and my project to modify the Zong’s fuel tank/tank plastic. Indeed, your excellent advice regarding my Zong’s original swingarm bushings was an additional incentive for me to perform my Yamaha XT225 swingarm conversion. I always enjoy reading your intelligent, insightful, and helpful posts.

You might note, I also took your suggestion to eliminate the black from the YamaZong’s fiberglass, rear quarter panels. I was inclined to eliminate the black, myself. My good friend Andy also offered the same suggestion, with unsolicited advice. When you confirmed his opinion, it helped finalize my decison; you have an excellent eye for esthetic detail. You might also note, I did not take AZ's suggestion to paint the Zong pink! 8O :roll:

Quote:
…I wish that we could buy those where I live. I think that the major hang-up is the plastic tank; the Ministry of Transport would never allow it. It's ok to switch to a plastic tank after you buy it, but it can't be imported that way.

Bummer. :?
The stock Zong fuel tank is made of steel, so I don’t think the fuel tank is hindering importation to Canada. Indeed, China Riders member KCKC reported last summer he successfully registered his Zong in The People’s Republic of Kalifornia!

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ion+california

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by vet_stingray
its a bummer we want get to see the finished results till then but looking forward to it
The new paint has thoroughly cured on my Zong’s plastic; therefore, I decided not to wait until Spring to install it. Today I mounted the repainted plastic, and I took a few photos to show you the final results. Usually, I like to provide you with photographs of my Zong in Idaho’s mountain scenery. However, the mountains of Idaho are covered with snow, and the mountain trails are closed. :( Therefore, I present the following, urban photographs of my finished, repainted Zong.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #132

I am very pleased with the results I obtained from repainting my YamaZong XT200GY-2.

However, as I patiently await the arrival of spring, I am now considering choosing a second color for the spare set of Zongshen plastic I have stored in my home. I have always liked the blue, Clarke XT225 fuel tank. Therefore, I am considering repainting my second set of plastic Yamaha Blue.

Here are the projected results incorporating a blue, Clarke XT225 fuel tank.

What do you gentlemen think?

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-22-2010, 01:08 PM   #133

I'm just glad you are enjoying a ride in January in Idaho with that beautiful snow on the mountains and dry pavement.

Personally, I'd rather be riding than painting so I'd quit while I was ahead and enjoy the beautiful orange bike and call it a day. It looks nice in blue, but it also is nice in orange, so no net gain. Finally, if you scratch orange paint on orange plastic, it looks OK. Not the case if a scratch through the blue paint shows orange underneath.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
...Personally, I'd rather be riding than painting so I'd quit while I was ahead and enjoy the beautiful orange bike and call it a day. It looks nice in blue, but it also is nice in orange, so no net gain. Finally, if you scratch orange paint on orange plastic, it looks OK. Not the case if a scratch through the blue paint shows orange underneath.
Indeed, I also would much rather ride, than paint! However, I still need to repaint the spare plastic. The only question is: which color should I choose? If I scratch the paint, it is not difficult to retouch the finish with a spray can. It might be fun to be able to switch colors; I would just need to buy another Polisport, front fender for $23.

However, I certainly agree with you, Doc; the KTM orange is beautiful.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #135

I ran the numbers for you Spud. In the Ultimate ChinaRider Cheap mode of thinking, the price of the fender and pint supplies would buy enough gas to ride your Yamazong 1,090.1 miles.

If you wanted to so something different I'd go blue but retain the black tank.