Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2018, 08:19 PM   #121

Ok, so I finally was able to drive the ATV today. I'll admit I am a little disappointed with the performance and speed. The Bull has a good amount of torque from a stand still, but seems to be a little flat after about 12mph. Next thing that was a little disappointing was the top speed. The most speed I was able to get out of it was about 31-32mph with wide open throttle. Per TXpowersports, they have it listed around 55mph as a max speed. I'm not even close to that. It made little difference going up or down hill for top end speed. Do these have a break in period, and afterwords the bike will gain top end speed? Is there a speed limiter somewhere I can remove?

I just talked with my brother in law, and hw thinks there might be a speed reducing ring in the transmission area. Has anyone heard of the TaoTao having one of these?

for the life of me, I can not find a way to adjust the chain either. TaoTao has chain tensioners listed for the bike in their parts list, but I can't see them anywhere. The chain also has a weird looking link next to the master link on the chain.

Last edited by Douglass; 05-20-2018 at 09:49 PM.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:33 PM   #122

harbor freight winch and plate work great

Attachment 13074

Last edited by imapdog; 02-14-2020 at 08:47 AM.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:37 PM   #123

I'm not familiar with the new rear swing arm setup and rear end to comment on how to adjust the chain tension.

See if there is a limit screw on the throttle... some TaoTao ATV's have this as a feature so the little kiddies don't go fly down the road at 50

Could just be the same issue I had which was a crappy carb.... went with a generic mikuni for dirt cheap made a world of difference.

The weird looking link might be a Half Link... nothing abnormal. You use one of them when plus or minus one full link won't give you the right range on the tension adjuster bolts.

It could be a special link to trip the speedometer possibly too. They use a proximity switch to count revolutions.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:28 PM   #124

Quote:
See if there is a limit screw on the throttle... some TaoTao ATV's have this as a feature so the little kiddies don't go fly down the road at 50
There is a screw that looks like it is all the way out, but I will double check.

Quote:
Could just be the same issue I had which was a crappy carb.... went with a generic mikuni for dirt cheap made a world of difference.
The carbureter on this bike looks like it is a very high quality unit. I would be surprised if it was the cause. I can see on the rpm gauge that the RPMs are almost maxed out when I am around 30-32mph. I have replaced the carbs on my son's atv, and both my Apollo dirt bikes, and the carburetors did make a nice difference.

Quote:
The weird looking link might be a Half Link... nothing abnormal. You use one of them when plus or minus one full link won't give you the right range on the tension adjuster bolts.
You are right. It is a half link. I was hoping to install an Oring chain, but I probably wont be able to, especially if I can not adjust the chain tension.

Quote:
It could be a special link to trip the speedometer possibly too. They use a proximity switch to count revolutions.
The speed sensor is located very close the the center of the rear sprocket.

What pisses me off, is the Bull goes about as fast as my son's 125cc Coolster ATV. The bull has a lot more torque from a stop, but I was hoping I would see max speeds closer to 40-45mph. I spoke with the guy from TaoTao today, and he says the 30-32mph sounds about right.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:03 PM   #125

It could be a decent carb... looks don't mean squat if the jetting is "off" and setup to suit EPA regs. From what I hear the stock carb on the Rhino isn't bad if you get it apart and re-jet it.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:17 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglass View Post
There is a screw that looks like it is all the way out, but I will double check.

The carbureter on this bike looks like it is a very high quality unit. I would be surprised if it was the cause. I can see on the rpm gauge that the RPMs are almost maxed out when I am around 30-32mph. I have replaced the carbs on my son's atv, and both my Apollo dirt bikes, and the carburetors did make a nice difference.

You are right. It is a half link. I was hoping to install an Oring chain, but I probably wont be able to, especially if I can not adjust the chain tension.

The speed sensor is located very close the the center of the rear sprocket.

What pisses me off, is the Bull goes about as fast as my son's 125cc Coolster ATV. The bull has a lot more torque from a stop, but I was hoping I would see max speeds closer to 40-45mph. I spoke with the guy from TaoTao today, and he says the 30-32mph sounds about right.
Yeah...the bull 200 is not real fast. My Coolster 150's are faster. However the Bull 200 will pull hills a little better and 35 mph is pretty fast for the trails i ride.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:16 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by imapdog View Post
I'm going to do the same thing...any tips for the install? I already bought the mounting plate and winch from harbor freight.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:24 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumblecopter View Post
I'm going to do the same thing...any tips for the install? I already bought the mounting plate and winch from harbor freight.
I cut 4 plates, drilled holes, bolted them up tight. its not the best way, works the way i did it, and tested good. not trying to pull anymore than own weight.
i bought some u-bolts, but couldn't figure it out.... got hacksaw out, drill out, and grabbed some bolts laying around. snug as a bug in a rug....

Attachment 13096

Attachment 13097

Last edited by imapdog; 02-14-2020 at 08:47 AM.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:28 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by imapdog View Post
I cut 4 plates, drilled holes, bolted them up tight. its not the best way, works the way i did it, and tested good. not trying to pull anymore than own weight.
i bought some u-bolts, but couldn't figure it out.... got hacksaw out, drill out, and grabbed some bolts laying around. snug as a bug in a rug....

Attachment 13096

Attachment 13097
Thanks for the pictures, I wasn't sure how to approach it, but this looks like a good idea.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:27 PM   #130

Is 30-33 mph typical, or a decent top speed for ATV?

Old 05-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #131

Quote:
Is 30-33 mph typical, or a decent top speed for ATV?
yes, good question. why would speed be an issue with these style atv's?
30-35 is fast enough for a 'point A to point B' atv or for simple farm use, or even moderate to medium trail use. speed is for those atv's without racks on them. this is my point of view here in the bull 200 topic. why would anyone want this type of atv that went faster? a stock bull200 will do 35 at best for 200lb guy

Old 05-23-2018, 05:47 PM   #132

Ok cool, thank you for confirming.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:40 PM   #133

Bull 200

Just got one a couple weeks ago and love it! I. An tide it and I weigh 200lbs and my son can ride it, hes 12 and weighs about 100, it’ll also go about 35 w us both on it. So far so good, i have it more pep by changing the CDI box. $9 well spent!

Old 05-27-2018, 11:44 AM   #134

Quote:
Ok cool, thank you for confirming.
Also, I'm surprised no one has commented on the break in speeds (unless I missed it), but I would NEVER attempt top speed until sufficient break in period is done. I've never heard of any kind of bike or motor period, where that would be advisable. Hopefully one of the seasoned guys will weigh in on specifics, but I would be waaaaay more careful breaking that puppy in.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:50 PM   #135

If driving it like you stole it isn't a break in period then I don't know what is.