Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2017, 09:22 PM   #121

Looks sturdy and well supported. Think we are gonna have to keep an eye on this guy 2LZ

Old 03-13-2017, 10:08 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Racer View Post
Looks sturdy and well supported. Think we are gonna have to keep an eye on this guy 2LZ
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 03-16-2017, 10:52 AM   #123

I thought that I would ask this here rather than starting a new thread and Darth was the one that first found sprockets. First thing, I found another source for the CS sprocket. I haven't received it yet but it looks correct. I found it on Ebay...from Australia!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Engine...-/162086846650

It looks a better match than the WGS one for about the same price. I think it might be a little cheaper because of the exchange rate but the transaction hasn't gone through yet on my account.

Second, here's a sprocket I found on another website (supplied here by Speckred17,http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=18484) that doesn't have much of a description but looks like a 40T for the Rhino.

Here's the rear WGS sprocket that Darth and 2LZ put on theirs

Here's the description from the site;

Specification
16.5cm (165mm) from tip of tooth to tip of tooth across the center. 7.0mm thick. center hole i.d is 37mm. bolt holes are 55mm across the center,center to center

What do think guys? Does it look like it will fit? The bolt holes look larger but that can be corrected with sleeves or different bolts. It's $20 on the other site not including shipping. Please check out the dimensions shown (not much, I know) and see if it's close. I was just going to change the front as I don't need creeper gearing like you guys do but if the shipping is low, I might take the plunge and order one.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Last edited by david3921; 03-17-2017 at 12:12 PM.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:24 PM   #124

The front looks about right.. not sure of the center hole splines and how much difference they are on the different engines. Rear sprocket looks right.. the six holes are a little big... but as you said some bushing would help... you don't want any slop there as it might sheer some bolts under high load.

The price is right... keep us posted if you try them out.

Don't forget to get some new 530 chain.. No clue on the length... and a couple half links in case you need them. Tractor Supply sells those as 50 chain. It's the same specs as 530 ... just used for industrial belting and conveyors.

They also sell a chain tool to keep the two halves close so you can get the master link in easier.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:18 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Racer View Post
The front looks about right.. not sure of the center hole splines and how much difference they are on the different engines. Rear sprocket looks right.. the six holes are a little big... but as you said some bushing would help... you don't want any slop there as it might sheer some bolts under high load.

The price is right... keep us posted if you try them out.

Don't forget to get some new 530 chain.. No clue on the length... and a couple half links in case you need them. Tractor Supply sells those as 50 chain. It's the same specs as 530 ... just used for industrial belting and conveyors.

They also sell a chain tool to keep the two halves close so you can get the master link in easier.
Thanks for the response, Darth, and the heads up on the chain. I'm going to wait until the CS sprocket gets here and check how much extra chain I'll have after the install and see if I have to take any links out. I might like the gearing with the just that change. If not, I'll order the rear and go from there.

Just out of curiosity, are you the one that wrote the less-than-flattering review on the WGS sprocket on their website? I know that you had issues with the paint quality and both you and 2LZ had to compensate for the lack of the counter sink on the face. The response from them wasn't very professional especially since you were paying pretty close to three times what sprockets normally sell for.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 03-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
Thanks for the response, Darth, and the heads up on the chain. I'm going to wait until the CS sprocket gets here and check how much extra chain I'll have after the install and see if I have to take any links out. I might like the gearing with the just that change. If not, I'll order the rear and go from there.

Just out of curiosity, are you the one that wrote the less-than-flattering review on the WGS sprocket on their website? I know that you had issues with the paint quality and both you and 2LZ had to compensate for the lack of the counter sink on the face. The response from them wasn't very professional especially since you were paying pretty close to three times what sprockets normally sell for.
I don't recall any issues with my rear sprocket. Bolted right on. Reading Darth's post on it helped a ton also, just knowing in advance which direction the axle had to draw from and about the funny Half-Links at Tractor Supply.

The front sprocket retainer needed to be ground down a tad and I had to run the allens or the chain would hit the hex bolt heads.

Curious to hear if the cheaper sprocket fits.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-17-2017, 08:08 PM   #127

Yeah that was my review. I call it like I see it. Was good to see they left it up... sorta says something about a company. I would buy from them again.

Is what it is as they say.. limited options for gearing on these Rhino's ... Now they have some competition from the looks of it. Competition is a good thing.. prices come down.... products get better... we get more options.

The rear sprocket I got from them is nice.. just a bit pricey... do wish it had some more teeth... I like my low end torque.

If the rear works out for you I just might get one myself and put the WGS one up for sale here.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:23 PM   #128

I think there is another route to lower the gearing, going to a 428 chain and sprockets. Stock rear 40 tooth sprockets sell for about $20 and a 12 tooth front sprocket is about $10. This is 3.33333/1 ratio which is about optimum for my use. I haven't measured the rear sprocket hub yet on the Rhino but it looks the same as the ATA250D.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:59 PM   #129

This is true but I wanted to use a chain that can keep up with the heavy loads I tow. No room for failure where I go... If the Rhino can't do it I have to make multiple trips by foot.

428 is bit low rated for a 200cc engine..it pushing it with a 150cc ... not well suited for towing heavy loads and riders. 520 is better... I thought that is what the 250D uses... 530 is just a better match for my needs and gives me a better margin on the specs.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:45 AM   #130

530 chain and sprockets are stronger and will probably last longer than 428 because of the larger surface area, aluminum sprockets excepted. The 428 chain is plenty strong for the low horsepower these engines put out. When they rate the 428 chain for 125cc they're talking about high powered 125cc dirt bikes, somewhere around 25 horsepower.

The ATA250D uses 428 chain as do many bikes up to 250cc.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:18 AM   #131

I based my chain selection on some chain spec charts like this one http://www.didchain.com/ccSpecs.html

Used some other places too for information but don't think I can post them here. Regardless I feel I have the right chain for my application. Even with it's specs it has stretched a bit with the 600 lbs + load I haul. And 530 sits at about almost double the strength of 428 depending on grading and specs of materials used.

I was surprised when I looked it up that the 250D does indeed use a 428 chain. So I was wrong. But they no longer make that utility model and the Rhino comes stock with 530 chain. Maybe there was some issues with chain breakage ... dunno.

With the sprockets David found if they are the right fit they are a better match.. way better price too. Don't have to go to a lower grade chain either. 40T is about as big as I think you can fit on the rear without cutting off the sprocket guard. It is the size I was looking for but couldn't find.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:59 AM   #132

I'd like to buy steel sprockets and an Xring chain with a ~3.3 ratio for the Rhino. I'll go that route in the 530 size if possible but I'm not willing to go with an aluminum sprocket. May have to go with 428 size to get that ratio. The stock ratio just won't work in many places I ride.

BTW I own both an ATA250D and a Rhino.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:54 PM   #133

Winch Mount Final Pics

Finished the fabricating and painted up all the parts. I used a black bed liner paint and the finish quite closely matches the paint they use on the frame. Found time to mount the winch today. Thanks Darth Racer for the rubber mallet idea! It works perfect and it an excellent fit for the fairlead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0647.jpg (91.5 KB, 589 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0655.jpg (96.7 KB, 685 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0663.jpg (93.2 KB, 483 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0668.jpg (96.0 KB, 660 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0672.jpg (96.2 KB, 571 views)

Old 03-19-2017, 06:15 AM   #134

Nice job on the mod.. like the bedliner idea.

I changed my winch over from wire to a rope setup towards the end of last season. Had some issues with the first couple of uses and some kinked/frayed wire. The rope guide needed to be filed down on both ends to fit inside the frame tubes right. Will post some pics next time I take it out.

Yeah the puck is a necessity when you reel in and the spool jumps too much and sucks the hook in. Happened to me and its a pain to get it back out. Wish they came with one. Glad to see the mallet mod worked for you.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:17 PM   #135

Nice setup Driver. All you guys have nice winch mounts. It makes me wish that I had a need for one as they all look awesome.

What quad do you have Driver? I noticed that the headlights are different.

BTW, I went ahead and ordered the rear sprocket we talked about above. The shipping is around $15 so a total of about $35-$36 shipped to my door. I've been wanting to do Mudflap's axel-washer-conduit fix so I thought I would try out the sprocket while I had it apart. I will report here when I do it.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Last edited by david3921; 03-22-2017 at 07:54 AM.