Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2023, 08:55 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
Just asking ,but how do you decide who gets to wear the diaper today ?
That ,My friend is decided by the winner of the "Chug a Lug" contest . Who ever downs a quart of prune juice the fastest gets the "clean " diaper.

Old 08-08-2023, 11:29 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
Just asking ,but how do you decide who gets to wear the diaper today ?
Depends on if it has been recycled lately.

Old 08-09-2023, 07:09 AM   #123

I’m just impressed Big Dano can wake up and look out the window and see some of the best places to ride in the USA

I drove thousands of miles to ride in the Rocky Mountains with my China bike. Can’t imagine how nice it must be to have all that right outside all the time

Old 08-09-2023, 09:42 AM   #124

Great pics!

Old 08-09-2023, 10:46 AM   #125

http://
find duplicate linesI'm fortunate enough to live in an area that I can do the kinda riding that these bikes are made for any time I want. Even on the blacktop back roads, it's not uncommon to go for 10, or 15 miles and not meet another vehicle. We don't really have mountains in the part of WV that I live in, but we have a lot of Hill tops, and creeks, and secluded lakes from were the state went and dammed up so many creeks back many years ago. I think that's why I really don't enjoy riding my street bikes much. Between my Hawk,which sees more if the dirt, and my TBR7,which sees more blacktop, I am satisfied with these little 229cc thumpers .http://
http://
find duplicate lines

Last edited by Bill Hilly; 08-09-2023 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Picture

Old 08-09-2023, 06:09 PM   #126

So, I'm putting on new chain and decided to make it the same length as stock chain. Error. One link short. Now, I'm putting on new rear sprocket to get some links back and re-using China studs/nuts. I have each nut torqued first to 15 ft. lbs, then to 30 ft. lbs. with a good amount of blue loctite. Is 30 enough or should I go tighter?

Sweet pics but I'm knee deep in it right now!

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 08-09-2023, 06:32 PM   #127

I think actual Honda specs for their studs is around 30. I think actually 50 Newton Meters, but I think just using common sense will be alright. The nuts have shallow, blade like, directional teeth on them that are evidently supposed to have a locking effect. The snap ring actually holds the sprocket on the wheel, so I never ordered new nuts,when I order Honda studs. Make sure you have the rectangular flange on every stud seated properly in that shallow ring cut into the back of the sprocket, or you won't be able to get you snap ring seated in it's groove.

Old 08-10-2023, 11:45 PM   #128

Took the Hawk on the highway for the first time today. She did ok, but we had a strong wind pick up right when I decided to go and I could barely get above 50 mph. 4th gear will wind it up to 50 but 5th gear just couldn't penetrate that wind. Of course, on the way back things were very different, lol. I got up to 60 mph no problem going uphill with the wind at my back. I hit somewhere around 62 and decided to back off but I think I could've gotten 65 mph. I believe my RPM's were right around 6800 - 6900 at 60 mph. She seems to run out of oomph at around 7200 RPM's. What is red-line on these bikes??

So, I think my clutch has been out of whack from the factory. I believe it may be slipping and I hope my plates are not glazed. I believe I have watched enough videos to get it set right. Also, the chain loosened a bit, so I will have to adjust that, too. I frickin' love this thing.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk08.10.2023.1.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	29892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk08.10.2023.2.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	303.8 KB
ID:	29893  

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 08-11-2023, 12:14 AM   #129

Don't adjust your clutch on a motor hot from driving a while. Adjust it to have just a frog's hair of free play cold, because it will usually have more free play after it gets hot from being rode a while. If you adjust it to have just a hair of free play after, or during riding, and hot, it will be too tight after it sits all night. Some say that 8,000 rpm is max for these motors when pretty stock, but I don't think it's as much a "redline" as it is the fact that the motors WON'T pull past that point. Mine is broke in, and has some exhaust work, but it will pull up to 8,000, or at least closer to it than 7,200. I figure I have probably been a hair over 8,000 at times, but I try to keep the needle from hitting the 8,000. They definitely have a lot more pull, at lower rpm though. I don't know how many miles you have racked up yet, but your motor gets more willing after they are broken in .

Old 08-11-2023, 12:59 AM   #130

I will also mention that them Niche (and probably most sealed chains). Get far more flimsy after a ride, and stiffen back up overnight. Also , I would also check you chain in neutral, or at least roll the bike backwards a few inches.

Old 08-11-2023, 09:29 AM   #131

that scenery!!! I am jealous! Glad you are enjoying the bike. Cheap Fun, but cheap in a good way and fun in a great way.

Old 08-11-2023, 02:10 PM   #132

So, I guess everyone already knows it is impossible to get a basic 12mm wrench on the lower clutch adjustment nuts? Like, remove exhaust system if you want to tighten those nuts with the proper tool. That's why I love needle nose pliers. Marred the nuts but got 'em mostly tight.

This clutch doesn't adjust the same as Jap bikes, huh? I gave all cable slack by putting adjusters at they're extreme ends and there is still a little tension on the cable. My guess is some kinda return spring somewhere, probably inside the case. What I did notice is that the clutch got super easy to pull, so I removed cable slack from lower adjustment until I could feel a spot where it got tight. Tightened lower adjustment, went to upper and fine-tuned. I think it was close before but now I understand the damn thing a little better.

Thanks for that tip on the chain, Bill. I checked it after riding last night when I noticed it was loose. This morning, I leaned the bike over on her stand to get the rear wheel in the air, spun it good, checked chain tension and it is spot on.

Just purchased my first engine mod, Nibbi Air Filter. I can't tell which ones are made out of paper or otherwise. Does the word "Racing" differentiate between paper filter and other? Here's the one I got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 08-11-2023, 02:25 PM   #133

Why are you not adjusting the clutch up at the lever perch? You slide the rubber skirt up on the cable, and exposure the adjustment "ferrule", and a locking nut, both of which are texture for gripping without tools.
That's the same filter that I run on my Hawk, and TBR7. The TBR7 takes the 48 mm though. I'm pretty sure it's the paper one. I personally still prefer it to a foam, just because I don't like the fact that they have to be oiled.

Old 08-11-2023, 02:29 PM   #134

I did both. I put both adjusters at their extremes to free up as much cable as possible and found the cable would not break free of where it attaches to the clutch arm. My guess is because of a return spring in the case keeps pulling on that arm. Adjusted lower until I could feel the clutch get tight again, then adjusted upper for fine tune.

Old 08-11-2023, 02:32 PM   #135

Make sure you always have some free play. Hot, or cold.