Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #121

Glad to hear it passed! Did they enquire about the China motor?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #122

Not a peep. They where amazed at how clean it was. I told them thanks and I had been busy all winter on it. (well the last 3 months. ) I looks so factory why should I tell them otherwise. (this is the Best swap I have done in the many I have hacked together. )

I guess I got something out of watching American chopper before they pulled all the drama crap. (the full build, (I added test ride in here)tear down for paint and then final assembly. I just used to cram the motors in and say good enough LOL)

I am getting used to the High first gear (the only thing I wasn't keen on) so I don't think I will swap back to the 38 tooth rear like I was thinking. It cruses so smoothly at 50 it isn't funny. Had a nice (overcast) ride into work this am.

One mod I am going to do is raise the bars and I have to paint the instrument cluster. (the silver is blinding ) I am going to add a 12v electrical connecter to the dash while I have it apart. (for GPS /Cell charging etc.)

Old 05-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #123

I bought two early seasons of American Chopper for that very reason. They still had drama, but it wasn't central to the format. I learned a lot from the process. My favourite build is the Dixie Chopper. That says a bunch about me right there.

How do you intend to raise the bars?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #124

Raising the bars- I was looking at using a spare set of clamps flipped over and then using longer bolts. But I am not sure if it will get them high enough.
it is supposed to be rainy on sat so I may play around then. worse comes to worse I play with the mill. I am reaching forward a little right now and that is not good for my back or shoulder.

I need to paint the instrument plate anyway. so the whole mess is coming off this weekend.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #125

I found some cheap ATV high bend aluminum bars for my TW, and that did the trick for me. Perhaps that would be a solution for you as well. The aluminum bars really cut down on vibration.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #126

Don't let me stop you from playing with the mill, though. If you do, please share the process.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #127

Ah I like the original chrome bars I have but yes the atv high bars are an option. the only fly in the ointment is my NOS OEM front brake cable which is rather tight already. I will have to look into that before I raise them.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:55 AM   #128

I re-routed a front brake cable for that reason, but I didn't have a headlight in the way. BTW, have you considered a disc brake front end? I installed an '84 XR250R front end onto Son of Weldangrind's '83 XR200R, and it was a perfect fit. The disc brakes are much better than the original drum brakes.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:59 AM   #129

Yes it will have a disc brake eventually. I did a conversion back in the day with my trials bike with stock forks. With the tools I have now it should be easier.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #130

So, you intend to convert the exisiting front end, rather than swap the entire setup?

Old 05-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #131

Well I am trying to find some straight fork tubes before I do it. the ones I have are tweaked and my parts bikes ones are rusted. I have a line on some MT125 ones (same tubes and leading axle) and I may try doing a conversion on them. The stock forks are so low I really need to unless I raise the rear too, which I am afraid would kill the on-road handling.

(other than good sized holes it really is a nice little road rider. Offroad It is Harsh the rear is ok)

Took a nice ride this afternoon as I had the day off and it was just a really nice ride. lots of twistys and hills and the engine just Purred along.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:22 AM   #132

Maybe you can look to other makes / models for a disc brake front end. Perhaps something that has the same diameter and length fork tubes, so you can re-use the stock triples.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloud
As to the stator no pics as I have not cracked this engine at all. (surprising for me LOL) I will take a pic of the connector tonight for you.
Have you had an opportunity to look at the connector yet? No rush, but if you've taken pics, I'd be grateful.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #134

Sorry about the delay I got real busy this weekend. I will do it tonight. you need pics of the connector and the color of wires correct?Â

Old 05-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #135

That's right; yes please.