Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2023, 04:18 PM   #1

And DONE.

One super simple License Plate LED light pack made.

Now to drill some holes and hook it up.

DONE!

Lights Off.

Lights On.

Now I am legal enough to still go to the store to get something to eat this week

Also, should pass inspection fine. As the law is written, you must have a light, not what kind it must be, color, size, etc. laws just say you must have something rather than nothing.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 10-10-2023, 09:38 AM   #2

And...... Just took it in to state inspection... First in line in the wee AM hours... 7 minutes later, full PASS!

That was easy, and as I said, the letter of the law you just need something.

The inspector was so impressed with the bike he said he wouldn't mind one himself after seeing the high-quality oval Husqvarna/KTM frame and the fully adjustable suspension. I had to play brand ambassador.

Now I have all the time in the world to wait for me new replacement rear tail assembly and brake light unit and dial the new one in exactly the way I want it.
- #42 / #120 Jets

Old 10-12-2023, 10:24 PM   #3

Mail came today. What a nice surprise, it arrived 4 days ahead of estimate.

A quick fit after a few minutes on the drill press. Smoked out matches the black and silver trim.

Running light + License plate light.
Both come on with headlight or high-beams as they should

Function Test, Left Turn Signal

https://youtube.com/shorts/zq4A30AwJFo?feature=share

Function Test, Right Turn Signal

https://youtube.com/shorts/VAd_GN1Ugc4?feature=share

And fully plated. The plate is tucked up under the rear fender. There is no longer what seemed like a foot long plastic arse snake hanging half way down to the rear tire before you even sit on the bike

- #42 / #120 Jets

Old 10-13-2023, 10:18 AM   #4

I shortened mine up but you butched yours for sure! I kept the part of the tail end as I felt I need to have some kind of reflector on the back and the taillight doesn't reflect.

Slick tail light! Did I miss where you got it from? The stock one for some reason doesn't have tag lighting. I can personally speak for how the highway patrol around here can and will be sticky about such things.

Old 10-13-2023, 01:19 PM   #5

The reflector solution I see most often is if you see the bolts on both sides of the plate. I see folks put two small round red reflectors on that part. I also have the small shelf under the plate to affix a small reflector. If you have local laws that specify reflectors again read them as the letter of the law usually says you must have one. Not what size, shape, etc. with these tail tidys you have to check your local requirements. The gigantic arse snake is basically every jurisdiction out in the world if one requires it then they ship it on all bikes and they cover every jurisdiction automatically. My OEM had three LEDs on the bottom for the plate but I noticed it never came on so I replaced it with this svelte and tidy little brake light assembly.

Where: eBay special, dime a dozen or $13 w/free shipping.

Edit: They all claim waterproof even the OEM that comes with the bike but I found mine had a big hole gap in the back where the wires go in. Plenty big enough to let water kicked up by the rear wheel to go in over time. After installing replacements or OEM assembling out of the box at the end of setting it all up, go in and squeeze some silicone sealant caulk into the wire entry hole to seal it properly.
- #42 / #120 Jets

Last edited by Texas Pete; 10-13-2023 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Fix link

Old 10-13-2023, 09:47 PM   #6

I wanted a reflector because my part time job is scraping up wrecks off the road. Since I ride on the street a lot I really want people to be able to see SOMETHING back there in case I have a tail light failure. I felt it a bit more important after dealing with those wire connectors under the fender coming loose. I believe I have the connectors sorted out and I am also running the jewel reflectors on my plate. Pictures of all that and how I shortened my stinger are way back in this thread somewhere I think.

Three scooters/mopeds I have picked off the road in the last two years. Creamed by a car because each one was running dark with no reflectors or anything and the car drivers couldn't see them. One was a guy pushing his, he spent a few months in the hospital and still wears a back brace. One other got scratched but his scooter looked like it got hit by a bomb. Third one died. I get the occasional motorcycle too but none yet because they were dark and other drivers couldn't see them in the night. I kind of don't want to be the first. I got some amber reflectors I thought of putting on the lower fork guards or somewhere like many other bikes have but what I bought doesn't really work the way I want. Keeping an eye out for something else.

Old 10-16-2023, 05:26 PM   #7

Happy 1K Day!

Just hit the first 1,000 miles on the odometer.

Time to celebrate with a fresh oil change, just because.
- #42 / #120 Jets

Old 10-17-2023, 04:02 PM   #8

I don’t know what happened. I changed the oil. Cleaned and polished everything under the bike. Went down the road to get a tank of fuel. And now I’m at 1,100 miles on the odometer.

A fresh ready to go bike and all I wanted to do was ride and ride and ride.

Edit: For the curious, I have a 500ml scientific flask from my brewing days. Two of those is how much oil I put in. The second 500ml I go a bit above the line 500ml line on the flask. 1 liter = 1.05 quarts and 1.1 = 1.16. When I stand the bike up and check the dip stick it always shows top of the full mark.

- #42 / #120 Jets

Last edited by Texas Pete; 10-17-2023 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Add image

Old 11-18-2023, 07:46 PM   #9

Question current shipping conditions?

In what condition are current Templar X shipping containers arriving?

Earlier, it looked like some R&L shipping employees were fond of damaging the shipping containers. Has that been rectified?

Does Amazon use a different shipper for XPro fulfillment than R&L shipping? ... or are Amazon orders drop-shipped from XPro, using R&L shipping, as usual/before?

Old 11-18-2023, 08:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discoveror View Post
In what condition are current Templar X shipping containers arriving?

Earlier, it looked like some R&L shipping employees were fond of damaging the shipping containers. Has that been rectified?

Does Amazon use a different shipper for XPro fulfillment than R&L shipping? ... or are Amazon orders drop-shipped from XPro, using R&L shipping, as usual/before?
FWIW, mine was shipped by R&L the last week of Aug of this year, ordered on a Sunday and was delivered the next Friday with out issue or shipping damage, Texas to NY

Old 11-21-2023, 01:43 PM   #11

Question ??? Templar X specifications ???

Approximately how many rpm is the Templar X turning at 60 mph, using stock/oem sprockets? ... maybe 30 mph (in top gear), if it won't get to 60 mph on the stock/oem sprockets.

What is the Templar X front/rear suspension travel? ... maybe just measure the chrome portion of the forks?

Thanks in advance ...

Old 11-29-2023, 01:58 PM   #12

60mph is roughly 6500rpm and the bike tops out at about 73 with stock gearing. It will cruise happily at 60 but anything more and it's screaming. Suspension travel seems to be about 11.5 inches measuring to the dust ring on the tubes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discoveror View Post
Approximately how many rpm is the Templar X turning at 60 mph, using stock/oem sprockets? ... maybe 30 mph (in top gear), if it won't get to 60 mph on the stock/oem sprockets.

What is the Templar X front/rear suspension travel? ... maybe just measure the chrome portion of the forks?

Thanks in advance ...
GasGas TXT 125

Old 11-29-2023, 02:34 PM   #13

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikd View Post
60mph is roughly 6500rpm and the bike tops out at about 73 with stock gearing. It will cruise happily at 60 but anything more and it's screaming. Suspension travel seems to be about 11.5 inches measuring to the dust ring on the tubes.
Thanks - for taking the time to provide that, MikD; it provides insight into the bike design/purpose.

I've noticed that many trail/dirt bikes seem to be geared for about +/- 8,000 rpm @ 60 mph ... whereas dual-sports seem closer to +/- 6,000 rpm @ 60 mph.

11.5 inches suspension travel seem more like a trail/dirt bike; the popular dual-sports seem to offer ~7 - 10 inches.

Your measurements suggest something of a dual-sport/trail hybrid; interesting ...

Old 12-19-2023, 03:16 PM   #14

I had 2 templar 250 X delivered via R&L from Powersportsmax in mid Nov 2023. They both arrived in pretty great shape both connected to the same pallet. The wooden pallet they arrived on was pretty trashed but mostly intact and I was pleased to find no damage issues to speak of with the crates they were packaged in or with the bikes themselves but they only shipped from a warehouse in Texas to my location in Central Arkansas.
You can see a few pictures of the crate condition here: https://www.chinariders.net/showthre...810#post402810

Old 11-19-2023, 09:24 AM   #15

Mine made it from TX to NY as well without damage. It was R&L. This was last June.
GasGas TXT 125