Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #106

Good man Weld! Thanks for looking for us!

I don't need anything (now) and just for fun I sent an email to XY Canada to see how long it takes for them to ignore me. :wink:

I came across a mechanically inclined fellow in Walla Walla who wanted a clean low mileage DRZ and he's interested in looking at my PP as a cheaper alternative. :idea:

I also found a radiator shop who will repair my leak for $20-$30 so I should be good there as well . If I sell the bike I don't want the radiator repair to be temporary.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:25 PM   #107

Chinese radiators vs. Japanese radiators:

This is why Japanese bikes cost more. Because they're worth it! :roll:

KLX rad head on. You can't even see it. It's compleatly protected from sones, debris, impact.

Right rad. Bolted on tight with shock absorbing mounts. Armored. Hoses compleatly out of harms way.

Left rad.

Protected and easy to access and check overflow bottle.

Now for the ChinaRad...

Head on the fender provides some but not enough protection.

Wide open and vunerable. Note the bolt holes to mount a cover/screen, but nothing it there...

You can see some damage already.

Impossible to access catch bottle. There are actually two of them. Both are opaque, and require removal of bodywork to check. Note China Ziptie...

Skid plate needs improvement.

NOTE I am not bashing here, I dig this bike . Just pointing out the way the Chinese do things to save money. These are opportunities for the individual owner to improve the bike, and personalize it, and save thousands of dollars. :P

Old 04-15-2011, 11:55 PM   #108

Thank you for taking the time to post the photographs, and explain the differences, Doc. Indeed, the Chinese do an excellent job copying/manufacturing the small displacement, air cooled engines. However, once you add water cooling, or a hybrid engine design, the motorcycle becomes more complex, and the opportunities for failure increase.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-16-2011, 01:38 AM   #109

Doc, the good news is that the rad has a huge frontal area, which means it will be very effective at cooling. As well, the threaded inserts are a nice touch; it will be very easy to add either perforated aluminum or stainless expanded metal (your choice, but perforated aluminum is lighter).

Most skidplates are complex, but yours will be simple to replicate. I'd use a solid piece of aluminum, heat and bend it as necessary and then drill holes to lighten it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #110

I'm at work now with antifreeze on my left ass cheek of my jeans and my left shoe and pants leg. :evil:

I think the upper hose is leaking at the raditor. I will stop at the parts store on the way home and try to find some hose that matches up.

FOR ALL PP400 OWWNERS:

Don't go by how your hoses look. Mine looked fine. Repalce them. They suck even new.

I'll fill the radfiator bfore I go home and it's only a 7 mile ride I should be fine but will watch the gauge.

Chinabikes. :roll:

Old 04-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I'm at work now with antifreeze on my left ass cheek of my jeans and my left shoe and pants leg. :evil:

I think the upper hose is leaking at the raditor. I will stop at the parts store on the way home and try to find some hose that matches up.

FOR ALL PP400 OWWNERS:

Don't go by how your hoses look. Mine looked fine. Repalce them. They suck even new.

I'll fill the radfiator bfore I go home and it's only a 7 mile ride I should be fine but will watch the gauge.

Chinabikes. :roll:
I'm glad your problem occurred in town, and not out in the wildnerness, Brother Bill. I'm sure you will get the problem resolved, but I hope your warning will encourage other Xingyue 400 owners to put this bike through a good shakedown period before they venture too far from civilization. 8O

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #112

This would be a better bike to buy used from a responsable owner who shook out the bugs rather than buy new. After I have this bike a while it will be a real winner. Now it has real potential.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #113

Not once did Q leak antifreeze on me and I never once changed it's coolant. :wink:

Old 04-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #114

I hope the autoparts store will have a correct diameter hose.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:56 PM   #115

Project stalled. Bike out of commission. :evil:

It uses 3/4" heater hose but the bends are too sharp. Also the chinaclamps won't hold.

I'm off to the store again for new USA clamps and hopefully some 90 degree elbows.

I don't think it was the radiator leaking but one of the hose connections although with it all apart I STILL can't find the leak...

I have officially been hurt by The Ring.

BTW 4 feet of quality heater hose? $36! 8O

Old 04-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #116

Probably cheaper than the Yamaha or Honda equivalent. :roll:

Try some copper elbows, like Kato recommended. As well, t-bolt clamps are excellent for such things; look for them at a plumbing supply shop that carries irrigation stuff.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-16-2011, 05:50 PM   #117

Just got back from the parts store. They had elbows made for the 3/4" heater hose and I bought some good clamps. Project is back. It's SUNNY AND WARM I wanna ride this turkey!

Old 04-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #118

pp400

please let me know what you come up with.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Project stalled. Bike out of commission. :evil:

It uses 3/4" heater hose but the bends are too sharp. Also the chinaclamps won't hold.

I'm off to the store again for new USA clamps and hopefully some 90 degree elbows.

I don't think it was the radiator leaking but one of the hose connections although with it all apart I STILL can't find the leak...

I have officially been hurt by The Ring.

BTW 4 feet of quality heater hose? $36! 8O
Ummm, what is the ring? Just curious

Old 04-16-2011, 07:22 PM   #120

Hoses replaced run up and checked for leaks. Looks good. Back together I'm going for a ride!!!